• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Transfers rumours

I doubt it's lazy tbh, even if it's agents putting on pressure too England.

You think with COVID and how much wages took a hit, for some of those players the England player fees made up a lot of the extra cost. Don't underestimate the lure of great financial security
Suppose, but i'd still say dependent on whether they feel Eddie will pick them again. If those 3 don't get reassurance of potential inclusion then they will 100% be off.

I'd have loved to see Billy/Mako go and play for Fijian Drua or Moana Pasifika if those teams had any money.

So yeh it's not really press being lazy more likely players putting out feelers.

If they are not in the 6N's squad I can see them pulling the trigger though, and I guess starting the process now would be easier than after

Feel like Ford is the most likely, both in terms of not being selected by EJ agin and leaving the Prem

I still think Binny will be first choice 8 by the time the 6N rolls around tbh

Also not sure if the Vunipolas will leave - very tight knit family, still go to the church their mom preaches (if that's the right word?) at - remember reading that Binny wanted to stay at wasps but the parents didn't like the brothers playing against each other and wanted him to move to Saracens

I doubt it's lazy tbh, even if it's agents putting on pressure too England.

You think with COVID and how much wages took a hit, for some of those players the England player fees made up a lot of the extra cost. Don't underestimate the lure of great financial security
All true, on top of that, Saracens are now having to find a way of compensating their talent without circumventing the salary cap. It's hard to see them being able to offer either player the sort of contract that some other clubs could for what is realisticaly their last shout at a really big pay day.

Think that reflects more on Bath than it does on Cardiff. I imagine Faletau just wants out at this point.

Interesting that he's been announced as leaving just as Ed Griffiths has come into the club. Not saying they are linked directly but i wonder whether Bath are being completely reassessed to understand where they are getting value for money.

Also I completely forgot that the salary cap was cut from £6.4m a year to £5m.... and aren't there rumours of the cap being shaved further?? i don't understand how this can be done?? surely this is detrimental to the game?
I know you can spend 600k on homegrown outside cap and 80k on foreign players to cover international absences, 400k on replacement players for long term injuries and 2 players excluded from cap but £1.4m off the top seems a lot.

Also seen a few rumours that Sam Skinner is being looked at by Wasps for next season at lock/back row..... interesting as Gaskell i think is out of contract and would be a very similar player.

i don't understand how this can be done?? surely this is detrimental to the game?
Probably the best thing for the game tbh,
Wages are inflated above the value that players bring to their clubs by rich clubs abroad offering over the odds

If a club (and like 11/13 can't) can't break even spending up to the cap then the cap is too high

What was happening was the wages inflated to all time highs.

But the cap also meant that clubs really only the top got those big wages and the squad players suffered.

With the new cap it's become far more level and far more manageable. You then got to factor in how much COVID jutted the clubs finances.

Although imo I would be down with no cap for homegrown players (as in those that came from your U18 academy) and lower the cap even more.

Probably the best thing for the game tbh,
Wages are inflated above the value that players bring to their clubs by rich clubs abroad offering over the odds

If a club (and like 11/13 can't) can't break even spending up to the cap then the cap is too high
True i suppose, we suffered for going up to it with the stars such as Le Roux, Piutau, Beale, Cips etc and actually we look better run for where we are now (with a caveat that we need to see our finances are at the end of the season).

Tricky one he will be up against England U20 star Sam Moore
I thought Sam Moore was currently injured again as we haven't seen him this season.
Turns out he has been playing for the semi pro Cardiff RFC in the Welsh premiership ....................................................

Interesting that he's been announced as leaving just as Ed Griffiths has come into the club. Not saying they are linked directly but i wonder whether Bath are being completely reassessed to understand where they are getting value for money.

Also I completely forgot that the salary cap was cut from £6.4m a year to £5m.... and aren't there rumours of the cap being shaved further?? i don't understand how this can be done?? surely this is detrimental to the game?
I know you can spend 600k on homegrown outside cap and 80k on foreign players to cover international absences, 400k on replacement players for long term injuries and 2 players excluded from cap but £1.4m off the top seems a lot.
"Announced" is a very strong word for a rumour in WalesOnline

As for Faletau - he's spent about 1/2 his time with us injured; and half of what's left, with Wales.
Just looked it up, and he's in his 6th year with us; during which time he's racked up 56 club appearances (38 internationally) - that's... not a good return on investment. Generally, you'd expect your internationals to play 2 club matches for every international.

On top of that, he's 31 in a couple of weeks; so his next contract is likely to be his next big one; and his health will be better looked after in Wales (and he might get a 2nd big contract that way), whilst salaries are being squeezed in England - it makes sense all around if he does return to the homeland.

Last edited:
*over it ;)

Only team other than Sarries to publicly break the cap (no doubt many others have had slaps on the wrist in private, though)
100% and it got us a lost Prem Semi and Final and nearly broke the club for the second time.

Apparently we are no where near it now and i actually think we are better for it... working on a more string line budget has done great for us.

We have managed to focus on academy and championship recruits to bolster the squad, 22/23 in total and be very coy in using the CBSA to build the club/womens teams. Also the new training facility is on point.

"Announced" is a very strong word for a rumour in WalesOnline

As for Faletau - he's spent about 1/2 his time with us injured; and half of what's left, with Wales.
Just looked it up, and he's in his 6th year with us; during which time he's racked up 56 club appearances (38 internationally) - that's... not a good return on investment. Generally, you'd expect your internationals to play 2 club matches for every international.

On top of that, he's 31 in a couple of weeks; so his next contract is likely to be his next big one; and his health will be better looked after in Wales (and he might get a 2nd big contract that way), whilst salaries are being squeezed in England - it makes sense all around if he does return to the homeland.
Yes i think so. Bayliss/Reid/De Carpienter/Ellis are more than capable of being the catalyst for your backrow. IF Ted Hil does leave Wuss could always go for him? or maybe even someone like Ben Curry?

@TRF_Olyy, am i correct in saying Ben Curry's contract runs until 2023? Not saying he has to leave but i do feel he would benefit from being first name on the team sheet back row somewhere.

Apparently we are no where near it
I don't believe that for a second - I think everyone in the prem is right upto it these days

Newcastle the only one I'd question - us/Irish/Worcester all spend more than we used to when we were the only ones not hitting the cap

@TRF_Olyy, am i correct in saying Ben Curry's contract runs until 2023? Not saying he has to leave but i do feel he would benefit from being first name on the team sheet back row somewhere.
Aye,
I think one of him or Tom will leave - probably to Exeter IMO (they're good mates with a lot of the bozos down there)

I don't believe that for a second - I think everyone in the prem is right upto it these days

Newcastle the only one I'd question - us/Irish/Worcester all spend more than we used to when we were the only ones not hitting the cap

Aye,
I think one of him or Tom will leave - probably to Exeter IMO (they're good mates with a lot of the bozos down there)
I've heard a few people say we aren't that high up or at least lower end of the scale with Wuss/Newcastle etc below us.

It depends what you do, keep the Du Preez twins and sacrifice a Ross or Curry OR keep both Currys and cut a Du Preez (which may lead to both going). If it was me, maybe go one of Currys to go (Ben most likely) and sign a very young talented flanker/promote within. If Tom went to Exeter/ you could always make a deal and try and get Hinkley in return if he's still as good as they say he is

Yes i think so. Bayliss/Reid/De Carpienter/Ellis are more than capable of being the catalyst for your backrow. IF Ted Hil does leave Wuss could always go for him? or maybe even someone like Ben Curry?

I think Ted Hill signed a long-term contract when he was made Worcester's captain. If he is on the market, there will be no shortage of takers. He would be a good addition to he starting XV for at least half the sides in the league.

I think Ted Hill signed a long-term contract when he was made Worcester's captain. If he is on the market, there will be no shortage of takers. He would be a good addition to he starting XV for at least half the sides in the league.
True. I actually think Quins wouldn't go for him.... Kenningham feels like a very similar player and could be used in a very similar way.