• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations 2010 top XV

No one is scared of him anymore, when he came onto the scene he relied on the fact he looked like Tana, and everyone was scared to tackle him, now about 10,000 years after he came onto the scene, he's not scary anymore, he's not as physical, he's just slowly turning into a dirty angry player.

I doubt any professional rugby player was ever "scared" of him.. And im not sure what looking like Tana Umaga has to do with anything..
The reason he doesn't appear as physical anymore is that he has changed his game to adjust to his new position and role on the team. When he first appeared on the scene he played like a league player, he ran hard for as far as he could go everytime he got the ball. No passing, no looking for support, no brain.
It looked like he was a devastating runner but really it wasn't good for the team, now he has toned back his running game. He looks to pass first and when he does run he looks to promote a weak shoulder and offload, his distribution is top notch. he is critical to the All Blacks at the moment. I can't believe you're writing him off because he "isn't scary anymore"

Alot of players were scared of him, they would just slide off tackles, the same as alot of players were scared of Jonah Lomu, just because they are professional doesn't mean they forgo all natural self preservation. Quade Cooper lost his confidence in 2008 and in 2009 he couldn't tackle anyone anymore, he's slowly building that confidence back up.
Ma'a isn't that great, he's good but, he doesn't really offer anything anymore.

Alot of players were scared of him, they would just slide off tackles, the same as alot of players were scared of Jonah Lomu, just because they are professional doesn't mean they forgo all natural self preservation. Quade Cooper lost his confidence in 2008 and in 2009 he couldn't tackle anyone anymore, he's slowly building that confidence back up.

Doesnt offer anything?
Are you serious?

heh, someone didn't see his one booted linebreak and perfect pass to win infront of ~95,000 screaming southafricans. No nonu doesn't win every match the AB's play but the good thing about him these days is even when he doesn't score the match winner his defence and workrate are right on the money. And lets face it, he is a match winner on his day, he's surely the AB's top try scorer over the last few years and some of those trys ahve been critical.

Here's the Sydney Morning Herald Tri- Nations XV ... I have bolded this as you might be confused how many teams actually played by the time you reach the bottom :p

15 Mils Muiliana
14 Cory Jane
13 Conrad Smith
12 Ma'a Nonu
11 James O'Conner (they say he's shifted here to cater for the best winger, Cory Jane, at 14)
10 Dan Carter
9 Will Genia
8 Keiran Read
7 David Pocock
6 Ritchie Macaw (they say he was the best, but moved to Cater for the heir apparent, Pocock)
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Brad Thorn
3 Owen Franks
2 Keven Mealamu
1 Tony Woodcock

Hehe ... I can't wait to see the team selected from the Bledisloe matches ... no wait ... I just have :D

This is going to be a fairly obvious choice.

15. Mils Muliaina
14. Cory Jane
13. Conrad Smith
12. Ma'a Nonu
11. Drew Mitchell
10. Dan Carter
9. Will Genia
8. Kieran Read
7. Richie Mccaw
6. Jerome Kaino
5. Nathan Sharpe
4. Brad Thorn
3. John Afoa
2. Kevin Mealamu
1. Guthro Steenkamp

To be honest, the only position I struggled with is tighthead prop, where it has been extremely poor form. I liked Owen Franks in the Super 14, the Franks brothers were very impressive, but this Tri-Nations they were just so stupid! Getting in the way of the rucks, causing penalties, rubbish defence and not making up for that in the scrum like they did in the Super 14, so my spot goes to John Afoa as when he come off from the bench, he was mighty impressive and the forward pack had some push in the scrum.

Big fan of Afoa, as you can tell.

Here's the Sydney Morning Herald Tri- Nations XV ... I have bolded this as you might be confused how many teams actually played by the time you reach the bottom :p

15 Mils Muiliana
14 Cory Jane
13 Conrad Smith
12 Ma'a Nonu
11 James O'Conner (they say he's shifted here to cater for the best winger, Cory Jane, at 14)
10 Dan Carter
9 Will Genia
8 Keiran Read
7 David Pocock
6 Ritchie Macaw (they say he was the best, but moved to Cater for the heir apparent, Pocock)
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Brad Thorn
3 Owen Franks
2 Keven Mealamu
1 Tony Woodcock

Hehe ... I can't wait to see the team selected from the Bledisloe matches ... no wait ... I just have :D

Fair enough, SA were a bit off the pace but no Steenkamp. Instead Woodcock? Clearly these journalists are a waste of air.

Fair enough, SA were a bit off the pace but no Steenkamp. Instead Woodcock? Clearly these journalists are a waste of air.

yup, I agree ... plus selecting players in positions they didn't actually play in is kinda stupid too - they were saying Macaw was the best flanker, and he played open side all tournament, they should select the best blind side ... same with the wings, they should have selected the best left wing (not JOC)

No one is scared of him anymore, when he came onto the scene he relied on the fact he looked like Tana, and everyone was scared to tackle him, now about 10,000 years after he came onto the scene, he's not scary anymore, he's not as physical, he's just slowly turning into a dirty angry player.

smh

and yeah i agree with the other guy, after the super 14 i was expecting big things from Genia but he was quite average, i think Weepu, Cowan and Francois Hougaard were better, i think Giteau was average too

anyway

1. Woodcock (can't think of anyone else)
2. Mealamu
3. Franks
4. Thorn
5. Matfield
6. Smith
7. McCaw
8. Read
9. Hougaard
10 Carter
11 Rokocoko
12 Nonu
13 Smith
14 Mitchell
15 Muliaina

Last edited:
Here is my squad:
1. Woodcock (loved his try)
2. Mealamu
3. Afoa
4. Thorn
5. Matfield
6. Kaino
7. McCaw
8. Read
9. Weepu
10 Carter
11 Rokocoko/ Dagg
12 Nonu
13 Smith/ ACC
14 Mitchell/jane
15 Muliaina

Here's the Sydney Morning Herald Tri- Nations XV ...

15 Mils Muiliana
14 Cory Jane
13 Conrad Smith
12 Ma'a Nonu
11 James O'Conner - cant kick, can't catch. I'd sooner have Dagg at 11
10 Dan Carter
9 Will Genia - what? Ahead of Weepu AND Hougaard??
8 Keiran Read
7 David Pocock
5 Nathan Sharpe
4 Brad Thorn
3 Owen Franks
2 Keven Mealamu
1 Tony Woodcock - but what about the "best loosehead prop in the world"... Benn Robinson?
2funny.gif

They have got to be kidding

More like Bledisloe team it's pretty rude to call that team a tri nations 15, oh well their team, their choice. Good team though.

LOL at these comments on Nonu. Seriously.

This is my squad

15. Beale [Over Mils because he looked more dangerous with the ball in hand, managed to fend off Smith twice within 10 minutes and Conrad Smith is someone I hold in very high regard when it comes to defence, also, Mils had a very great team to work with so he didn't have to do much more than run his lines and rely on his team mates]

14. Cory Jane[Probably the only in form Wing of the tournament, and why? because he stuck to the basics and showed some exciting chips in field]
13. Conrad Smith[I hold him in high regard]
12. Ma'a Nonu[This is hard, no 12 stood out in the tournament but Nonu just did nothing wrong in every game]
11. Drew Mitchell[I'd pick him over Aplon just because he had more game time and was a real threat with ball in hand]
10. Dan Carter[Nuff Said]
9.Piri Weepu[The best halfback in the world imo]

8.Kieran Read[I've never liked Read prior to this years tri nations, he has really impressed me and also did nothing wrong all tournament]
7. Richie McCaw[The best No.7 in the world]
6. David Pocock [None of the tournaments no.6's can match Pocock, and there is really not much difference to playing openside or blinside flanker]
5. Nathan Sharpe [This was really hard to pick as no no.5 stood out]
4. Brad Thorn[The most dominant lock of the Tri Nations]
3. Owen Franks[Because he was wrongly penalised for a very good hit which was called a high tackle, and he played very well]
2. Keven Mealamu[IMO Best hooker in the world]
1. Guthro Steenkamp[honeslt never liked him either, but he is at the top of his form in this tournament]

On the subject of Pocock.... Maybe some of the Aussies can clear this up for me

On the news a couple of weeks ago they had a clip of aussie training where the players had a pool session. Wasn't hard to spot pocock. He was Wearing shiny Electrick blue speedo's

It just looked fricken out there man. But maybe you guys can clear that up for me? Is that standard Aussie training kit he had on?

On the subject of Pocock.... Maybe some of the Aussies can clear this up for me

On the news a couple of weeks ago they had a clip of aussie training where the players had a pool session. Wasn't hard to spot pocock. He was Wearing shiny Electrick blue speedo's

It just looked fricken out there man. But maybe you guys can clear that up for me? Is that standard Aussie training kit he had on?

What? Pocock in budgie smugglers???

shiney electric blue Pocock in budgie smugglers to be exact. It just looked... wrong.

I like that side Drizzy, Pocock had a great tri nations, at times he has had greate technique at the breakdown. He won the breakdown battle against McCaw in the first game but McCaw did win every other part of the battle.

But Kaino has been awesome, he was the difference between winning and losing that last game where he earned the name the "difference maker" I'd go as far as to say right now he is a better player than Collins was at his best.

Latest posts