• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Try of the year 2012

Why limit it to real matches?
I scored a beauty with Andrew "*******" Hore in JLRC.
Lineout to the front, Cowan sprints through the gap, takes on the fullback and offloads to Hore to put him in the corner.

I once scored a try as Tom Prydie with the Ospreys against Leicester in the Heineken Cup final from behind my own tryline involving over 40 passes. That was the best try I've ever seen.

I knew this would bring out the Tier 2 snobs. Should we just limit this to tries against the All Blacks? These tries still deserve credit for what they are, Ostroushko's try was still immense, and don't tell me that Keith Earls and Stuart Hogg are exactly the bees knees of defending either. Credit needs to be given to Ostroushko. Also don't tell me there weren't players falling off tackles or positioning themselves poorly in Malzieu's vs Italy.
Nothing to do with that. I just think that the best try of a given year should be one created through skill, not mostly through defensive blunder. (Although a defensive blunder or two is acceptable if there's a lot of skill shown.) The only reason to be impressed with Spain's try vs Georgia, for example, is how much ground is covered. Once the Georgian player had offloaded to the floor, enough Spanish players were through to make it a fairly simple execution. FWIW, Jonathan Davies' try is less impressive than it could have been, although not entirely unimpressive, when you consider the poor attempt at tackling.

Forgot how good that Aregntinian try vs the All Blacks was!
That would get my vote, actually.
Thought it was immense watching it at the time, still as good now.

Yeah, I don't know how but I'd totally forgotten about it in just a few mths time !...WHAT a try, and right against NZ !

That Russian try looks insane too !!! But I agree the level of quality just isn't as great in Tier 2 teams, you don't have the best defence in front of you and it somewhat loses some prestige over the Tier 1 tries.

* Srs not biased but I love Malzieu's try. It's just so pretty to watch, it's aesthetically close-to-perfect with those side-steps, long legs...but I totally understand it can't be try of the year of course.
* Habana's is pretty spectacular but it's not as impressive as some of those other tries...it's not as difficult really, the pass was nice but he wasn't that crowded...
* loooooooool that high-pitched Canadian commentator wtfffffff !!!!...stoned for sure !
* the Gear one is pure pace therefor not impressive. It's not pure pace with style or turns and twists or anything...it's just a guy running with the ball......but it's a cool try but there's no way that's try of the year...

Nothing to do with that. I just think that the best try of a given year should be one created through skill, not mostly through defensive blunder. (Although a defensive blunder or two is acceptable if there's a lot of skill shown.) The only reason to be impressed with Spain's try vs Georgia, for example, is how much ground is covered. Once the Georgian player had offloaded to the floor, enough Spanish players were through to make it a fairly simple execution. FWIW, Jonathan Davies' try is less impressive than it could have been, although not entirely unimpressive, when you consider the poor attempt at tackling.

Fine, to be fair you're right that try in particular, perhaps I shouldn't have put it on, but you can't say that for all the tries I posted. Some of those deserved serious consideration to be nominated imo, and shouldn't be ignored just based on nationality, and the IRB could have looked outside the usual suspects for some great tries. Savea's in my opinion is the one most lucky to be nominated, it's a good try, but considering the calibre of some others mentioned it's not quite as special.

I just wonder - as it is an individual prize, are only 'more individual' tries considered, not the ones that were a more collective effort? Like for example the Samoan try I posted, Fotuali'i did as much work as the eventual try scorer Pisi, if not more. The Welsh try, Davies did finish it, but it was North who created it. Maybe the nominations took that into account as well? Last year's winner Samo was a great example of a pure individual try. The drawback is that this way intercepts and similar stuff are promoted, whereas brilliant teamwork would be overlooked... Any ideas if I'm guessing right?

That would make the most logical sense... but last time I checked the IRB is not always very logical.

I just wonder - as it is an individual prize, are only 'more individual' tries considered, not the ones that were a more collective effort? Like for example the Samoan try I posted, Fotuali'i did as much work as the eventual try scorer Pisi, if not more. The Welsh try, Davies did finish it, but it was North who created it. Maybe the nominations took that into account as well? Last year's winner Samo was a great example of a pure individual try. The drawback is that this way intercepts and similar stuff are promoted, whereas brilliant teamwork would be overlooked... Any ideas if I'm guessing right?

Unfortunately the IRB try of the year award (and most of the nominations) always go to individual tries. These tries probably appear far more spectacular to the general public, but personally I would rather see a well worked team try any day (e.g. Dagg's try off a set piece vs Australia). Messam's try last weekend vs Wales was pretty good too, though there was a pretty blatant forwards pass, and for some reason the nominees were announced before last weekend....

The try of the year is always the same thing. Own 22 down the field, lots of passes or stepping.
Boring? No, but predictable. Cuthbert v France was nice, but more down to **** 'tackling' and Poitrenaud being cowardly.

Of those 4 I think Gear's is the best, if only for that offload from Smith and the running over of little Keith. Malzieu's comes second to me as the other two, as good as they were, I feel that what Savea and Habana did to score was within their skillset.

The try of the year is always the same thing. Own 22 down the field, lots of passes or stepping.
Boring? No, but predictable. Cuthbert v France was nice, but more down to **** 'tackling' and Poitrenaud being cowardly.

My issue is there isn't really any passing.... between the 4 tries nominated this year I count a total of 6 passes (Gear's try is the only one where there is more than 1 pass!). Can't find the nominations from last year, but I think it was very similar then (there was 1 pass in the Samo try if I recall correctly).

Personally I would have considered something like Landajo's try versus the AB's, or one of the AB's tries versus South Africa/Argentina (a couple of crackers in there).

Of the nominations I would go for either Habana or Gear's try - Habana's shows some great individuall skill, but Gear's try actually involves some passing....

The Argy one would be it for me, the occasion was pretty huge and they scored an absolute ripper in front of their home crowd against the AB's.

With my biased hat on, Davies' try against Ireland in the 6 nations should be there imo. The way North set up that try was the single biggest power-play of the year (that I have seen).

Can't believe the Savea try made the cut. Nice cross kick and good sidestep to finish, but those kind of try's are seen all the time.

Well this is quite clearly the try of the year. Biased or not. Shocking nominations all round really =/

Last edited by a moderator:
That was a cracker. This is another of Gear absolutely demolishiong England in 2010 for NZ Maori (probably one of the greatest tries I've ever seen) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X3Jhe2gMT1c

I'd love to see him recreate that kind of of form with the ABs. I actually prefer him to Savea, but he needs to do a lot more if he's going to oust him.

And just to go even more off topic, what ever happened to Hayden Triggs?

I'd love to see him recreate that kind of of form with the ABs. I actually prefer him to Savea, but he needs to do a lot more if he's going to oust him.

And just to go even more off topic, what ever happened to Hayden Triggs?

Pretty sure he took up a lucrative offer in Japan.

Some awesome tries from gear. Anyone else feel like he isnt as his usual bulldozing self nowdays? Whats happened? I remember rico gear was a bit like that. He was raw when in form then it just felt like guys were able to take him down easier then before.

Some awesome tries from gear. Anyone else feel like he isnt as his usual bulldozing self nowdays? Whats happened? I remember rico gear was a bit like that. He was raw when in form then it just felt like guys were able to take him down easier then before.

Yep. It's dem Highlanders! Got him playing like a loose forward. Never getting him space to run.

Well Habana won.

Yeah - my second choice. Can't complain too much - it was a great try. I'm a fan of Hanaba as well, said before the Tri Nations that he was going to have a big series.

Latest posts