• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

U.S.A. possible plans on bidding for 2023 RWC with Canada as co-hosts.

LittleGuy

First XV
Country Flag
Canada
I think this may be a little early and that Argentina may still be the better choice for an America's RWC in 2023, but it shows that the possibility of a North American RWC could be something we see in the next 20-30 years. The United States under this plan will be the primary host with Canada hosting some matches(likely in Vancouver and Toronto) Here is a link to the scrum.com article.

http://www.espnscrum.com/other/rugby/story/155351.html

20-30 years ..... that would make me 40-50 years old. In 30 years i think Georgia will be ready to host a world cup. that's a long time really cant see that far

20-30 years ..... that would make me 40-50 years old. In 30 years i think Georgia will be ready to host a world cup. that's a long time really cant see that far

Thats a fair point Toko, I suggested that time frame because I think Argentina(Possibly Uruguay as co-host) is the better 2023 choice, and that it would be at least a couple of RWC's before it returned to the America's. But as you suggest that far down the line who knows what will be the state of the game or even the world.

I´d suggest it is a part of the plans to have Professional league in the USA within the next 18 months. Any party backing a domestic USA competition is going to think having the USA host, or bid to host, a rugby World Cup is extremely good press.

Argentina 2023 is the way forward.

I´d suggest it is a part of the plans to have Professional league in the USA within the next 18 months. Any party backing a domestic USA competition is going to think having the USA host, or bid to host, a rugby World Cup is extremely good press.

Argentina 2023 is the way forward.

I agree Melhor, the Stadiums and support is there in Argentina, also the sports market in North America is very crowded in September-October, with the NFL and CFL seasons ongoing, the MLB playoffs as well as the NHL starting. The spring May-June would be a much better time for a RWC in North America but not sure how much the IRB and the rugby world community would react to this.

I suspect the answer is 'poorly'.

If one can be held in America, great. But I'm not sure thats practical yet, and do think Argentina has the biggest shout first.

Its not just about the fan support but also the stadium availability in North America during the fall, it would be a scheduling nightmare trying to find vacant stadiums to play the games since there are no purpose built rugby stadiums of any notable size at the moment or even in twelve years this probably would not have changed.

A lot of valid points. Not sure if the US is ready for it. Should it be in front of Argentina or Italy?? Another aspect is that the iRB will want a cash cow again after Japan. It's not really important if Japan is a success or not, I think it will be, but I don't think the iRB will gamble on potentially have two successive tournaments that don't bring in enough cash. I wouldn't be surprised to see South Africa in 2023 then maybe somewhere like Argentina.

I don't wanna sound like a broken record, but as Little Guy can tell you, I am a big supporter of seeing professional rugby ASAP in North America, though this may not be possible for a few years. Not sure how helpful a world cup would be if the host nation didn't stand a chance of getting out of their group, not that the U.S. or Canada are bad. I'm just suggesting that for the development of the game in North America, and in terms of competing with other sports, it would be more beneficial if the U.S. and Canada had professional athletes that could compete with the likes of Ireland and South Africa so that Americans could get rugby fever and see a real growth. The U.S. and Canada, based on the last RWC out done themselves. If their levels were stepped up they could make a knock outs, which on home soil would hopefully send North America mad with rugby fever.

Remember success breeds success!
Just a thought.

Latest posts