Ulster v Gloucester - Pool 2

A

An Tarbh

<div align="Center">
Ulster.png
Ulster v Gloucester
Gloucester.png
</div>

Well it's top of the Guinness Premiership versus bottom of the Magners League so it really should be a bonus point win for the Cherry and Whites.

Given Ulster's home record in the HEC though it won't be plain sailing for Gloucester despite Ulster's average start to the season, not saying that Ulster will miraculously turn things around but there should certainly be a marked improvement on their performances to date.

Stephen Ferris is a serious doubt after picking up a knee injury in last weekend's defeat at Glasgow.

Teams should be announced tomorrow at lunch time.

I agree that this shouldn't test Gloucester that much, and I expect a comfortable win from the reigning English champs.

Suprised to see so many predictions for an Ulster win in the predictions thread, to be honest.

I agree that this shouldn't test Gloucester that much, and I expect a comfortable win from the reigning English champs.

Suprised to see so many predictions for an Ulster win in the predictions thread, to be honest. [/b]

don't you need to win a championship to be champs?

<div class='quotemain'> I agree that this shouldn't test Gloucester that much, and I expect a comfortable win from the reigning English champs.

Suprised to see so many predictions for an Ulster win in the predictions thread, to be honest. [/b]

don't you need to win a championship to be champs?
[/b][/quote]

Was just about to say the same!

I don't follow English rugby that closely boys, but I was under the impression that Gloucester won the Guinness Premiership last time around and were therefore the current English champions?

Gloucester finished on top, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won the premiership because that puts them into the semi-finals and a final. Surely you knew this? Leicester hammered Gloucester in the final!

Teams:

Gloucester: Iain Balshaw; James Simpson-Daniel, Mike Tindall, Anthony Allen, Lesley Vainikolo; Ryan Lamb, Rory Lawson; Nick Wood, Olivier Azam, Carlos Nieto, Peter Buxton (capt), Alex Brown, Alasdair Strokosch, Akapusi Qera, Luke Narraway.

Subs: Andy ***terrell; Christian Califano, Marco Bortolami, Gareth Delve, Mike Prendergast, Chris Paterson, Olly Morgan

Ulster Team: B Cunningham; T Bowe, A Trimble, R Dewey, M McCrea; D Humphreys / P Wallace, I Boss; J Fitzpatrick, R Best (Capt), B Young, J Harrison, C Del Fava, M McCullough, N Best, R Wilson

Subs: N Brady, D Fitzpatrick, R Caldwell, K Dawson, K Campbell, D Humphreys/P Wallace/ N O’Connor, M Bartholomeusz

good to see Vainikolo back from injury, should be easy for gloucester IMO.

David Humphreys is an injury doubt so Paddy Wallace is on standby, Ulster would be well and truly up **** creek if Humphreys misses out, completely turned the game against Leinster and knocked Wallace's confidence no end.

Been confirmed that Wallace will start with Humphreys on the bench, God knows he'll be needed if the game is anything like the Leinster encounter.

Quick start from Gloucester should go a long way to them winning this game and taking Humphrey's cameo out of the equation.

Gloucester finished on top, but that doesn't necessarily mean they won the premiership because that puts them into the semi-finals and a final. Surely you knew this? Leicester hammered Gloucester in the final!
[/b]

Gloucester are not champions of England . you are right, Leicester did hammer us in the final and good luck to them. Whether you like it or not the rules say that the team who finishes the regular season on top of the league doesnt win the championship simply gets a home semi final in the play offs.
Im fed up with fellow Glos fans moaning about this. Everyone knows the rules at the begining of the season so if you dont perform in the play offs its tough. Wasps did it to the Tigers in Jonnos last game a couple of years ago. I dont know what it is but as soon as Glos get to Twickers they always let us down. WHY?

Mark my words mate, Ulster for the HEC....
[/b]

Certainly looking that way alright with Gloucester already half way to a bonus point and that's their third.

Whether you like it or not?

[/b]

Was that directed at me or the Gloucester fans?

17 minutes: Ulster 0 - 17 Gloucester.

The game should be in the bag now. Some stunning tries scored by Glawster!

and that's the bonus point, impressive stuff from Gloucester despite Ulster being so poor.

29-14 to Gloucester at half-time, not quite out of sight but it would be some collapse if they don't come away with the win from here, would take a monumental effort from Ulster to turn this one around despite having gotten some momentum with their finish to the half.

Not enough tries in NH rugby? What a load of rubbish! An incredibly fun match to watch and is the perfect showcase for the passion and pride that teams covet the HEC with.

I still stand by my tip that Ulster will win the HEC this year...

Who says there are no talented English backs?

9. Scottish
10. English
11. Tongan (qualifies for England - watch this space)
12. English
13. English
14. English
15. English

And they ran riot in the first half. Had Gloucester kept the same intensity in both halves, they could have racked up 60-70 points tonight. Also impressed by the speed and lines run by their backrow players. Could have a good chance of silverware on all fronts this year.

<div class='quotemain'>
Whether you like it or not?

[/b]

Was that directed at me or the Gloucester fans?

17 minutes: Ulster 0 - 17 Gloucester.

The game should be in the bag now. Some stunning tries scored by Glawster!
[/b][/quote]

Sorry mate it was just a figure of speech as in whether you(the rugby viewing public). no offence intended.

[/b]

I fear I have revealed my staggering ignorance about English rugby, I thought that whoever finished top of the league were the champions. I didn't know it changed to a tournament structure with semi-finals and a final after the twenty two rounds were up.

That is the kind of performance Glos have been threatening to put on all season. Surprised to see noone has mentioned Buxtons performance, in my mind he was by far and away the man of the match. His driving play , tackling and sheer graft were astonishing. Anyone who watches him every week will see that was just a typical performance from him. Also he was playing out of position in the second row.
Can anyone think of a reason why Simpson-Daniel,Tindall and The volcano will all not start for England in the next international?

Damn that game was good the first half was a exhibition of what rugby should be fast and free flowing.If they keep vanikolo fit they could go far in the heineken cup.

Well in gloucester. :D

Latest posts