• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Union vs League Balls...Is there a difference?

O

O'Rothlain

So, I just realized that the company that owns Gilbert coincidntly owns Steeden. My question now is "Is there a feckin' difference between the two balls?"
2.png
284.gif

Yes, as you can see from the photo the League ball isn't quite as round and is also actually a bit longer. The difference comes from the larger emphasis on kicking in Union compared to the predominantly passing game of league (i.e the bullet like league ball is easier to pass while the slightly rounder union ball has a larger sweet spot for kicking).

Interesting you should say that, sanzar, I would have thought that League is more inclined toward kicking as you're almost forced to kick on the last. I reckon the end-over-end pass they've developed in League must have something to do with the fact that it's either harder to torpedo-pass or they just don't have the passing distance.
I don't find it very fun trying to torpedo kick a League ball, either haha...

I reckon the end-over-end pass they've developed in League must have something to do with the fact that it's either harder to torpedo-pass or they just don't have the passing distance. [/b]

The end over end pass in league is quite accurate over distance compared to the gilbert which tends to not go that far when it is passed end over end.

Gilberts are made to withstand pressure...rucks and bodies squashing it. Steedmans are great balls to pass with and can get sent quickly with less arm swing...therefore quicker wrist movements can get a similar result with a steedman as an arm swing with a gilbert. In fact Steemans are such great balls to pass with that we actually prefer playing with the junior version of them instead of the official NZTA touch ball when we play touch.

If you played rugby with a steedman there would be too many knock ons in the rucks. Steedman may be a better ball to pass with but it is too difficult to handle in a ruck.

<div class='quotemain'> I reckon the end-over-end pass they've developed in League must have something to do with the fact that it's either harder to torpedo-pass or they just don't have the passing distance. [/b]

The end over end pass in league is quite accurate over distance compared to the gilbert which tends to not go that far when it is passed end over end.

Gilberts are made to withstand pressure...rucks and bodies squashing it. Steedmans are great balls to pass with and can get sent quickly with less arm swing...therefore quicker wrist movements can get a similar result with a steedman as an arm swing with a gilbert. In fact Steemans are such great balls to pass with that we actually prefer playing with the junior version of them instead of the official NZTA touch ball when we play touch.

If you played rugby with a steedman there would be too many knock ons in the rucks. Steedman may be a better ball to pass with but it is too difficult to handle in a ruck.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah fair enough, although watching Quade Cooper tonight throwing those end-over-end passes you could almost reckon that he's training for a switch to league already!
Personally I prefer the Gilberts, Buffalos or Mitre balls for passing as they seem to almost glide through the air, whereas the League balls that I have mucked around with don't have that same centre of gravity.

Interesting...I'd love to get my hand on a league ball to check it out. However league is almost non-existant here...
But a League Ball and an Aussie Rules Ball are the same???? :bleh!:
47010105.jpg
Sherrin.png

Interesting...I'd love to get my hand on a league ball to check it out. However league is almost non-existant here...
But a League Ball and an Aussie Rules Ball are the same???? :bleh!:
47010105.jpg
Sherrin.png

[/b]

nah, AFL ball more stubby than RL ball

Lol and an AFL ball is made of leather! :p I wish they'd bring back the torpedo in AFL.

Yeah, nothing to do with the ball.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("A right know-it-all")</div>
While the tolerances of Canadian and American footballs are slightly different, the same ball can fall within the tolerances of each. Canadian Football League rules specify that the long circumference of the ball should be not less than 27¾ inches (705 mm) nor greater than 28¼ inches (718 mm), while the short circumference should be no less than 20⅞ inches (530 mm) nor greater than 21⅛ inches (537 mm). The dimensions of the official National Football League and National Collegiate Athletic Association football are specified by its manufacturer as: short circumference: 20¾ to 21¼ inches (527 to 540 mm), long circumference 27¾ to 28½ inches (705 to 724 mm).

Another difference between CFL, NFL, and NCAA balls is the type of stripe applied (or not). Canadian balls have a complete white stripe around the football 1 inch (25 mm) from each end, NCAA balls have broken stripes, and NFL balls have no stripes.[/b]

Completing the set - is there a difference between NFL and CFL balls?

duke-723344.jpg
Wils200fivefootball.gif
[/b]

I've only seen part of one CFL game in my whole life. Didn't care for it. However there is a difference between a High School Football, a Colegiate Football and an NFL Football.

Isn't gridiron the name of the field? [/b]
No, gridiron is slang that we don't actually use much here. It's probably like us calling your Football "Soccer".

In reference to the Aussie Rules Balls, what was the "Torpedo"?

In reference to the Aussie Rules Balls, what was the "Torpedo"?
[/b]

the "torpedo" is the name we call the spiral punt kicks in AFL. you rarely see a player use this type of kick these days. it was used a lot more in the 70's and before, along with the drop kick. the drop punt is really the only kick used in afl, along with banana or checkside punts (used when the ball is required to curve). occasionally a player might use the torpedo for extra distance kicks.

Yes, as you can see from the photo the League ball isn't quite as round and is also actually a bit longer. The difference comes from the larger emphasis on kicking in Union compared to the predominantly passing game of league (i.e the bullet like league ball is easier to pass while the slightly rounder union ball has a larger sweet spot for kicking).
[/b]
Lol, totally wrong. A league ball is more round, and the union ball is more bullet like.

League balls traditionally have 8 panels

That picture which is used of the league ball is quite decieving, it's been stretched or something.

duke-723344.jpg
Wils200fivefootball.gif

[/b]
Well, the one of the right has stripes, and if these are anything like speed-stripes on a car, it'll make the ball much more aerodynamic and will move much faster when passed/kicked

<div class='quotemain'>

duke-723344.jpg
Wils200fivefootball.gif

[/b]
Well, the one of the right has stripes, and if these are anything like speed-stripes on a car, it'll make the ball much more aerodynamic and will move much faster when passed/kicked
[/b][/quote]

Aren't speed stripes on a car just painted on?

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

duke-723344.jpg
Wils200fivefootball.gif

[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Aren't speed stripes on a car just painted on? [/b][/quote]
Yes USA_Rugby...Olyy is just having us on. Either that or he has a screw loose.

"speed stripes" don't make a difference at all USA_Rugby. ;)

Latest posts