• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

USA vs All Blacks - 01/11

I can assure you that the ABs are famous in Latin America, especially players like: Dan Carter, Ma'a Nonu, Sonny Bill Williams and Richie McCaw.

SBW is ridiculously famous for the little time he has played in Union, just for being a big and tough guy.

People don't know the hard work of players like Brodie Retallick, Kieran Read or Jerome Kaino, that are most important for the team.

They just say: "Oh Sonny Bill is a tough guy", "Oh Sonny Bill is too big", "Oh Sonny Bill is a professional boxer", "Oh Sonny Bill is too hot". He's the new Lomu if we talk about rugby marketing

Doubt it very much. Most people in the UK probably don't know someone who like Ma'a Nonu is, only a handful of rugby players have ever become mainstream like Wilkinson, Lomu, and BOD, and that's a country that actually has a rugby culture let alone some random South American country. SBW wasn't even that well known when he went to Japan either. I would suggest you have a very warped perception of how well known in the mainstream these players are, probably because as you yourself have said that you're a bit of a snob so I would guess you haven't mixed or been around many average Joe Colombians, and just maybe the hardcore few who have to go to Argentina to see big sides play rugby.

Doubt it very much. Most people in the UK probably don't know someone who like Ma'a Nonu is, only a handful of rugby players have ever become mainstream like Wilkinson, Lomu, and BOD, and that's a country that actually has a rugby culture let alone some random South American country. SBW wasn't even that well known when he went to Japan either. I would suggest you have a very warped perception of how well known in the mainstream these players are, probably because as you yourself have said that you're a bit of a snob so I would guess you haven't mixed or been around many average Joe Colombians, and just maybe the hardcore few who have to go to Argentina to see big sides play rugby.

Average Joe Colombians don't know who is Ma'a Nonu but they know the All Blacks brand, they may not be able to differentiate between: Tana Umaga, Ma'a Nonu and Rodney So'oialo.

I say that if ABs traveling to Colombia, will be at least 500 people making noise at the airport and they will have you sign many autographs and pose for many pictures. That's something didn't happen in Chicago. On the street they won't have too much stalkers but the fern logo is one of the most recognized sports brands in the world and people will know that they play rugby.

Last edited:
It should be noted that this from a timing element could not have come at a worse time for press coverage.

The baseball world series is still going on, The NFL, college football and MLS seasons are in full swing, Ice hockey has just started their new season and the NBA is is pre-season.

All top American sports and only so many reporters and prime time minutes.

ABsolutely correct. (See what I did there? ;) ) The last game of the World Series will be played tonight, and the winner decided (it's game 7). If the Giants win I think the fanfare will be less, but if the Royals win they could be the entire focus of the weekend. I don't think the NHL or NBA will have much impact on reporting/interest, but certainly the NFL and college ball will.

I made mention of the game on the local news facebook page for Philadelphia, as well as on the FB page of one of the sportscasters from that news agency. I think maybe I'll mention it on one of the national news FB pages, too. It can't hurt!

das

ABsolutely correct. (See what I did there? ;) ) The last game of the World Series will be played tonight, and the winner decided (it's game 7). If the Giants win I think the fanfare will be less, but if the Royals win they could be the entire focus of the weekend. I don't think the NHL or NBA will have much impact on reporting/interest, but certainly the NFL and college ball will.

I made mention of the game on the local news facebook page for Philadelphia, as well as on the FB page of one of the sportscasters from that news agency. I think maybe I'll mention it on one of the national news FB pages, too. It can't hurt!

das

Going to watch game 7 tomorrow once it has recorded on my box so I am not up to ridiculous o'clock lol even if I am a Yankee fan :blush:

Gonna be a close one I think.

Going to watch game 7 tomorrow once it has recorded on my box so I am not up to ridiculous o'clock lol even if I am a Yankee fan :blush:

Gonna be a close one I think.

Yup, I think it'll be a real close one.

As far as recording vs watching, I've spent many a 'ridiculous o'clock' - :lol: - sitting up watching SH rugby just so I could have a shared experience with other fans here. Sometimes it's worth it, despite feeling like a zombie the next day.

das

Yup, I think it'll be a real close one.

As far as recording vs watching, I've spent many a 'ridiculous o'clock' - :lol: - sitting up watching SH rugby just so I could have a shared experience with other fans here. Sometimes it's worth it, despite feeling like a zombie the next day.

das

Did the same with Superbowls from 1982 hence my love of the Redskins

Choice of captain carter or messam. If possible savea should be rested

Messam doesn't deserve to be an AB captain. In the old days he may have captained a midweek team but the captaincy for tests shouldn't be bandied around as much. Give it to someone who has done it before, Mealamu.

Messam doesn't deserve to be an AB captain. In the old days he may have captained a midweek team but the captaincy for tests shouldn't be bandied around as much. Give it to someone who has done it before, Mealamu.

I can't see Mealamu starting the match to be honest, but regardless I'd agree that Messam shouldn't be captain. Not necessarily because he doesn't deserve it, per se, but rather I just don't think he's a very good captain.

i realise it would never happen but in my mind a nice compromise would be richie and kieran playing half a game each at 8, not as taxing as usual, always have an acceptable captain on the field and we get to showcase some of the best players

It certainly sounds like a lot of the senior players who were going to be rested really want to play in this match, so we may well see less of an experimental team than we expected.

That being said, I think we will see changes in positions where a second tier player needs game time. That means the likes of Cane, Harris, Romano and Tuipulotu, Perenara and Pulu are all likely to be in the team.

The All Blacks team to play USA Rugby has been revealed.

The side is:

1. Joe Moody (5)
2. Nathan Harris (1)
3. Charlie Faumuina (23)
4. Jeremy Thrush (9)
5. Patrick Tuipulotu (4)
6. Victor Vito (24)
7. Sam Cane (20)
8. Kieran Read - captain (69)
9. TJ Perenara (7)
10. Aaron Cruden (35)
11. Charles Piutau (11)
12. Sonny Bill Williams (19)
13. Ryan Crotty (9)
14. Cory Jane (52)
15. Israel Dagg (44)

Reserves:
16. Keven Mealamu (120)
17. Wyatt Crockett (33)
18. Ben Franks (38)
19. Brodie Retallick (33)
20. Liam Messam (36)
21. Augustine Pulu *
22. Daniel Carter (100)
23. Julian Savea (29)

Without meaning to discredit DC and SBW. I feel bad for Barrett & Fekitoa. I guess Sonny and DC have got the looks to be New Zealand pretty boys for all of the USA women watching the game hahaha.

Wouldn't surprise me if they suddenly call in Kahui lol - just kidding XD

:/ Only about 4 starters in that xv. I was hoping they'd go nearly all out. Have the stars on show. But suppose they are being rested.

Why is Read playing together with Vito? I thought the whole purpose of carrying Vito was for him to be blooded as a legitimate no 8! It beats me as to why they are giving him a chance lua tua is a far more effective player. It's not even close.

Not a bad team, that bench looks like it could really cause damage in the second half. Great Vito gets a start but would have loved him to get a shot at 8. I'm not so sure about that midfield combination either (although it should do more than enough).

Coles, Retallick, the three Smiths and Savea I think are big ommisions but lets face it the All Black were always going to be looking at fringe players for this fixture and who can blame them. The other non-starters in other positions (considering Whitelock is out anyway) I don't see as a drop in quality even if they've not been featuring. In some cases these players might be considered 'more exciting' selections in any case if we are looking at 'exhibition rugby' and/or individual athleticism and they could potentially cause big problems if the USA don't keep it tight. I mean, Richie McCaw, Retallick, Kaino, Aaron Smith are surely better RUGBY players and guys you want in crunch matches but Perenara, Vito, Cane, Tuipulotu, these guys are incredable athletes and if the USA want to see individual athletism/skill then they'll get it in bucketloads IMO. And a fresh Savea off the bench.. c'mon!

Jeremy Thrush... Uurrgghhhh I never like seeing his name in an AB starting line up.

Why is Vito at 6, that's weird. I thought it was pretty well proven he is an 8 not a 6. Like the above guy I'd way rather see Luatua there.

9. TJ Perenara (7)
10. Aaron Cruden (35)
11. Charles Piutau (11)
12. Sonny Bill Williams (19)
13. Ryan Crotty (9)
14. Cory Jane (52)
15. Israel Dagg (44)[/FONT][/COLOR]

That backline tho'.

Any other team around the world would be happy with that.

Could get ugly.

Latest posts