• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Using Blender to add custom player faces to Rugby 08

anybody had an issue with Itoje's head?? when I play I see Dallaglio's head instead, because Itoje's got Dallaglio's star... checked in Woosaahs editor and the face ID was ok (borthwick 24277)... also I unpacked the .fsh and the texture was good... how do I fix it?
Interesting - what mod/patch version are you using? Also what game mode are you playing on?

I have 2 versions... ama1 version and ama1 + peter83 version (I use this one because it has all the tournament's textures and doesn't crash)... however I tried in both versions anda have the same issue

Pablo Matera's .png texture, .gltf and .blend @JPilky

Attachments

• PabloMateraBlender.zip
    184.4 KB · Views: 13
  • PabloMateraGLTF.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 10
  • PabloMateraTexture.zip
    363.4 KB · Views: 11
Pablo Matera's .png texture, .gltf and .blend @JPilky
Which bit of the method did you get to? Have you got to the stage where you have attached the head to a rugby 08 skeleton? I can't open the GLTF file as it says I need the bin file (I guess as they output as GLTF separate). Can you try sending over the blend file with the head + skeleton ready to export?

I sent you only the head model, I erased the rigged skeleton as I couldn't complete it... maybe you can rigg one and try... I keep failing over and over again

I sent you only the head model, I erased the rigged skeleton as I couldn't complete it... maybe you can rigg one and try... I keep failing over and over again
Ok I will have a go tomorrow - I'll try to remember to record my screen so you can see exactly what I do. I think the issue you were having was to do with the UV editing of face texture at the end rather than rigging (I noticed when I got that wrong I encountered a number of error messages) - think I need to add a bit to the video tutorial. The head model/texture look good. Will let you know how I get on. Which player were you planning to replace?

Ok I will have a go tomorrow - I'll try to remember to record my screen so you can see exactly what I do. I think the issue you were having was to do with the UV editing of face texture at the end rather than rigging (I noticed when I got that wrong I encountered a number of error messages) - think I need to add a bit to the video tutorial. The head model/texture look good. Will let you know how I get on. Which player were you planning to replace?
The thing I did differently from Petti's model is Texture Painting directly from blender... its easier to create the texture rather than doing it on GIMP

Pablo Matera's .png texture, .gltf and .blend
Here's what I've made out of your files, all you need to do is rename the .big and add to a player head in the roster editor. I've also included the blender file in case you want to change anything.

Untitled.png

Attachments

• Matera.zip
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
Here's what I've made out of your files, all you need to do is rename the .big and add to a player head in the roster editor. I've also included the blender file in case you want to change anything.

View attachment 10926
Thank you so much! What step was I missing? Why couldn't I export the files from blender seperetly? Why couldn't I import the .gltf to .o?

What step was I missing? Why couldn't I export the files from blender seperetly? Why couldn't I import the .gltf to .o?
Hard to say withoout some more information. Can you explain what didn't work? In your Blender file there wasn't a skeleton included, had you tried linking the head model to a skeleton? When exporting from Blender, did you change the gltf format mode to "separate"?Untitled.png
The only other thing I can think of is what version of Blender are you using? I'm currently using version 2.83, I've had issues exporting other models for Rugby 08 using version 2.92.

Hard to say withoout some more information. Can you explain what didn't work? In your Blender file there wasn't a skeleton included, had you tried linking the head model to a skeleton? When exporting from Blender, did you change the gltf format mode to "separate"?View attachment 10927
The only other thing I can think of is what version of Blender are you using? I'm currently using version 2.83, I've had issues exporting other models for Rugby 08 using version 2.92.
Yeah I rigged an original roster's skeleton and when I finished I tried exporting the files seperetly but the .fsh wasn't showing up... also tried to import the gltf to .o but had an error popping up

Blender won't make a .fsh file for you, the easiest thing to do is get the .fsh out of the .big folder for the player head and edit that.

What error message was it?
It reads "OTool error: Unknown error"... I put Import to .o , then browse the .gltf file straight out of blender, I write in additional command "-skeletonData none -writeFsh" then hit import but that happens

Blender won't make a .fsh file for you, the easiest thing to do is get the .fsh out of the .big folder for the player head and edit that.

What error message was it?
It reads "OTool error: Unknown error"... I put Import to .o , then browse the .gltf file straight out of blender, I write in additional command "-skeletonData none -writeFsh" then hit import but that happens

additional command "-skeletonData none -writeFsh"
I don't think you're supposed to do them both in one command. First do "import to .o" with the command "-skeletonData none", that will make the .o file. Then switch to mode "pack images to fsh" and select the images or folder you are writing to the .fsh.

Untitled.png

I don't use Otools to make the .fsh file, instead I modify an existing .fsh using another tool. As a test, I would try making a .o for a player head without the texture bits and test if this works in the game. If it does appear in R08 without the texture then you know everything you've done works. Then try making a new .fsh file for your player head.

Apologies didn't have time to sort this out on the weekend but I think the issue was that the UV editing wasn't set right in blender before exporting (issue with the tutorial video I did) so when exporting to GLTF separate it wasn't exporting a PNG file from blender and then when running OTools with -writeFSH there wasn't the PNG file in that folder pathway to convert to fsh

When I get some time I'm going to test this and re-edit that bit of the video tutorial if that is what is causing the issue. I should also have a go at the method of just editing the .fsh file itself

Yes this looks great - are you using texture painting in blender? I've just started doing it for the Anthony Watson I've finished off today so now I can skip using GIMP completely. Also edited the neck to be more rounded (like the rugby 08 players are by default) which seems to fix any neck issues (i.e. neck popping out of the shirt)

Definitely would like a download for this if possible

Might get a facebuilder licence once I finish off the last three head models I have (which are all terrible and need to be redone really)

are you using texture painting in blender?
I use a mix of Blender and GIMP for texture editing, it's obviously easier to visualise where the texture will go when painting in Blender, but I find it easier to add finer details in GIMP.

Definitely would like a download for this if possible
Yeah nice work share it please
I'll uploal DVDM in the other thread in a bit.

Another request as I'm less familiar with southern hempsphere players, is this a good match for Richie Mo'unga?:
Untitled.png

Latest posts