• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Six Nations squad 2022

Tooting Carmen

First XV
TRF Legend
No Owen Lane, Scott Williams, Samson Lee, Rob Evans, Jarrod Evans... New caps include Dewi Lake, Jac Morgan and James Ratti.

Wales squad for 2022 Six Nations

Forwards: Rhys Carre (Cardiff), Wyn Jones (Scarlets), Gareth Thomas (Ospreys), Ryan Elias (Scarlets), Dewi Lake (Ospreys), Bradley Roberts (Ulster), Leon Brown (Dragons), Tomas Francis (Ospreys), Dillon Lewis (Cardiff), Adam Beard (Ospreys, vice-captain), Ben Carter (Dragons), Seb Davies (Cardiff), Will Rowlands (Dragons), Christ Tshiunza (Exeter Chiefs), Taine Basham (Dragons), Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff), Jac Morgan (Ospreys), Ross Moriarty (Dragons), James Ratti (Cardiff), Aaron Wainwright (Dragons).

Backs: Gareth Davies (Scarlets), Kieran Hardy (Scarlets), Tomos Williams (Cardiff), Gareth Anscombe (Ospreys), Dan Biggar (Northampton, captain), Rhys Priestland (Cardiff), Callum Sheedy (Bristol Bears), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Willis Halaholo (Cardiff), Nick Tompkins (Saracens), Owen Watkin (Ospreys), Josh Adams (Cardiff), Alex Cuthbert (Ospreys), Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester), Johnny McNicholl (Scarlets), Liam Williams (Scarlets).

All evidence is pointing towards 4th/5th but I guess same was said last year but at least last year we had Navidi, Faletau, Tips, AWJ,
North etc etc.

I think we should completely write it off and go full on development. Don't get Cuthbert and Priestland. Would much rather give Lloyd a place or even a Rogers or Proheroe and I would've liked to have seen Lane have a crack as well to be honest.

If you go full on development, what are your thoughts on AWJ being involved in the coaching / bonding of Wales' 6N squad this year, even though he's not likely to feature on the pitch? I get that he's got a lot to offer the newbies to the squad, but I wonder if it has a detrimental affect on Capt Biggar and the second row by making them feel that they're just keeping his seat warm?

If you go full on development, what are your thoughts on AWJ being involved in the coaching / bonding of Wales' 6N squad this year, even though he's not likely to feature on the pitch? I get that he's got a lot to offer the newbies to the squad, but I wonder if it has a detrimental affect on Capt Biggar and the second row by making them feel that they're just keeping his seat warm?
I see what you're saying but I don't think that is a concern to be honest. I mean, it could be for all I know but I'd be surprised if it was. He almost brings just as much to the table off the pitch than he does on it so he's good to have around the place. From what I gather he's so well respected with the standards he drives and the person he is that I don't see it causing any issues. He's not got much longer left anyway, and it's not like Biggar is going to be really long term either so post 2023 WC we're going to have to rebuild a lot of stuff, captain being one of them.

Also, players know what they have to do to keep their place and that's bring more to the table than AWJ which I can't see happening even though Beard and Rowlands are solid players and Carter looks very promising for a youngster but Alun Wyn walks into the team when fit.

I see what you're saying but I don't think that is a concern to be honest. I mean, it could be for all I know but I'd be surprised if it was. He almost brings just as much to the table off the pitch than he does on it so he's good to have around the place. From what I gather he's so well respected with the standards he drives and the person he is that I don't see it causing any issues. He's not got much longer left anyway, and it's not like Biggar is going to be really long term either so post 2023 WC we're going to have to rebuild a lot of stuff, captain being one of them.

Also, players know what they have to do to keep their place and that's bring more to the table than AWJ which I can't see happening even though Beard and Rowlands are solid players and Carter looks very promising for a youngster but Alun Wyn walks into the team when fit.
Fair points, although RWC 2023 is the date that all coaches have in the minds to have their strongest squads available, anything beyond that date isn't really relevant yet. I wonder if AWJ looms over the squad in the same way that Farrell seems to loom over England, possibly preventing the team developing as they could?

Fair points, although RWC 2023 is the date that all coaches have in the minds to have their strongest squads available, anything beyond that date isn't really relevant yet. I wonder if AWJ looms over the squad in the same way that Farrell seems to loom over England, possibly preventing the team developing as they could?
It's a fair concern but I think where the Farrel comparison falls down is that AWJ, through his performances, is still a massive net positive for us whereas Farrel isn't anymore for England and arguably hasn't for quite some time.

If we had some superstar, young lock coming through, like England do with Marcus Smith (and AWJ not hitting his numbers) then I'd agree but as I say, on performances alone and before you even consider leadership and experience, AWJ walks into our team. The front 5 in general isn't an area we're particularly strong in as it is.

But I guess we'll never know how big of an impact (or even if he maybe plays) he will have behind the scenes. I guess if we do well people will talk it up but no one will know really.

Don't think Wales played well at all in AI. With cancelled games and regions playing rubbish there's loads of players who are coming into this off form so not looking positive to be honest.
Wales are usually slow starters as it is and have a nice trip to Dublin first up. Glad that Morgan and Ratti get a chance after playing well at regional level, Lake get's talked up loads but yeah while he's a force around the park, I think I can probably throw better than him. And the Lineout has been a problem for wales in the past. Forward selections make sense I suppose but backs there's a bit more questions to be asked.
If your going for the 'safe' option over Owen Lane (his defence suspect but can be worked on) Then Holmes is simply the more well rounded player than Cuthbert, don't see how he fits in. Tompkins needs time and is going to be first choice centre going forward, probably with Halahollo. (Untill North is back anyways)
Owen Watkin has been given time and caps but hasn't really kicked on the past few years. Reasonably solid in defence but doesn't really offer much in attack at regional level let alone Test. Don't really se the point of 4 10s in the squad, just taking players away from Regional level, I still don't understand how Evans doesn't get more of a shot, to me he seems perfect for how Privac wants to play.

Don't expect much this campaign with practically the core of the whole team missing. Best case scenario would be to win the 3 home games and nick an away win in Dublin or Twickenham and steal the f*cker.

You can never write-off the Welsh been a long while from memory since they were amongst the favourites, not stopped them on a couple of occasions, however I can see almost a reversal of The hammering Wales gave Ireland almost resulting in 0 points conceded until the final play.

I'm happy about this. I don't think it will make a difference to the drunken behaviour, that's caused by the bottle of vodka they down on the train in.
But it will make it a more pleasant experience to watch as you don't have to keep getting back up and down every 5 seconds allow your drunkards to get past you.

So Halaholo and a few others have been released. Really hope he comes through ok as he's my first choice 12.

What's so great about him?
Mainly the fact he keeps defences honest and on their toes. He's hard to defend against coz you don't know what he's going to do. He's got a lethal step on him and has got good pace but has got a decent passing range on him as well. So it's not just that he can break lines (though he does that very well) but he can also draw defenders in and offload well, whether in contact or just before contact. Its a nightmare to defend against as you don't know what he's going to do. Would love to see him and North play together as I genuinely think thats a scary center partnership.

Latest posts