• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Squad Announced For 2018 Six Nations

Quite an interesting team named.

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Josh Adams, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans; Rhys Patchell, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee; Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones; Aaron Shingler, Josh Navidi, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Justin Tipuric, Aled Davies, Gareth Anscombe, Owen Watkin

Backs is what I would have picked but I'm surprised at Tipuric's omission and I did think that Moriarty looked a bit rusty when he played against Pau. I think Hill is a average player but I can see why he is picked over Davies with the fast paced Scotland game. One positive is that Dee, Tipruic and Watkin can provide real impact from the bench which is something Wales are usually lacking.

Quite an interesting team named.

Wales: Leigh Halfpenny; Josh Adams, Scott Williams, Hadleigh Parkes, Steff Evans; Rhys Patchell, Gareth Davies; Rob Evans, Ken Owens, Samson Lee; Cory Hill, Alun Wyn Jones; Aaron Shingler, Josh Navidi, Ross Moriarty.

Reps: Elliot Dee, Wyn Jones, Tomas Francis, Bradley Davies, Justin Tipuric, Aled Davies, Gareth Anscombe, Owen Watkin

Backs is what I would have picked but I'm surprised at Tipuric's omission and I did think that Moriarty looked a bit rusty when he played against Pau. I think Hill is a average player but I can see why he is picked over Davies with the fast paced Scotland game. One positive is that Dee, Tipruic and Watkin can provide real impact from the bench which is something Wales are usually lacking.

Happy with the back 3. I know Halfpenny doesn't offer much from deep, but needs must with so many injuries. Steff and Adams are hard working players, so look for ball, so hopefully both can drop back and provide the counter-attacking threat from deep.

Really happy to see Patchell start at 10 as well. Hoping to see him have a blinder and help create some try's so that the management are forced to retain him even when Biggar is back fit.

Front 5 is mostly good, although I too don't rate Hill at all. I'm hoping that Seb Davies can get some gametime for the Blues and push his case by the end of the championship.

Personally don't understand having Navidi and Moriarty, especially against a mobile pack like Scotlands. Navidi did really well in the Autumn, but Tips and James Davies are both better opensides, and not starting one of them is a little crazy.

I mostly like the look of the bench as well. I was expecting to see Baldwin there ahead of Dee, but not unhappy that Dee's there. This might have been a good opportunity to reward Nicky Smiths recent form with a spot on the bench as well. Imo he offers more impact than Wyn Jones and has shown improved scrummaging, and even so Scotland are short a number of props so Smith would be fine in the scrums. Watkin could offer some serious impact off the bench if his performance v Clermont is anything to go by.

Quietly confident now.

I think way too much has been made of Wales having the Scarlets backline (give or take) and playing this wide expansive game. This is international rugby, the line speed and intensity isn't comparable to the pro 14 or even Champions Cup.

I still think they'll beat the Scots but it will be because of the Scarlets front row and the quality of AWJ, Moriarty and Tipuric off the bench than because the expansive game plan that quite a few are expecting.

I'm expecting a high scoring game, with Halfpenny kicking Wales to victory.

No one is expecting the backs to rip Scotland apart just because they are Scarlets, us Wales fans are just happy that we have had a positive team picked for once. I don't think they are going to go throw the ball around as much as the Scarlets, as you said in international rugby everything needs to be a lot more precise and you need to be accurate or you will be punished.

Latest posts