• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Squad Announcement

I've been refreshing the BBC Sport Wales homepage for the last ten minutes...

Someone on Facebook just said it's been postponed until tomorrow at 1pm, but I've not seen that on any sites so not sure how true it is (though it's looking that way, as its 70mins late now)

Here: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_union/welsh/9370298.stm

Wales squad:

Forwards: Paul James (Ospreys), John Yapp (Blues), Craig Mitchell (Ospreys), Ryan Bevington (Ospreys), Scott Andrews (Blues), Matthew Rees (Scarlets, capt), Richard Hibbard (Ospreys), Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys), Bradley Davies (Blues), Ryan Jones (Ospreys), Sam Warburton (Blues), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Andy Powell (Wasps), Josh Turnbull (Scarlets), Toby Faletau (Dragons), Dan Lydiate (Dragons).

Backs: Mike Phillips (Ospreys), Dwayne Peel (Sharks), Tavis Knoyle (Scarlets), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Rhys Priestland (Scarlets), James Hook (Ospreys), Jamie Roberts (Blues), Jonathan Davies (Scarlets), Shane Williams (Ospreys), Morgan Stoddart (Scarlets), Leigh Halfpenny (Blues), Lee Byrne (Ospreys).

Good to see Priestland, Turnbull and Peel in there
Thought they'd have another centre tbh

Glad to see Jonathan Thomas involved too - makes everyone elses 6N a bit easier :D
Though that's evened out by Biggar being dropped :(

No Martyn Williams though! Maybe they're resting him for the WC?

Last edited:
Looks good.. and no biggar :O finally priestland over him.. hopefully Stoddart is played over Byrne too

On the other hand, no place for Jason Tovey.

Yeah, shame. He hasn't been in his best form lately.
No Huw! Cancels out JT's inclusion plus some.

Glad to see Peel, Turnbull, and Priestland.
Will be looking forward to seeing Bev, Mitchell and Andrews this 6N.

Not a bad squad overall.

It says in the article that he wants to keep the squad as small as possible. TBH it looks like he has already decided what his World Cup is going to be.

James to play at loosehead with Yapp, Mitchell and Andrews battling for the Tighthead shirt!

seems quite a small squad for 5 games.

Injured players (George North, perhaps Adam) will be added upon regaining fitness, I believe.

Looks like it will be Paul at loosehead with either Yapp (!), Mitchell, or Andrews at tighthead.

Last edited:
Wonder if Henson will be called up when fit?
I still think they need another centre in their squad, and while I feel they should have Maule in there, I think Henson is the more likely choice

Wonder if Henson will be called up when fit?
I still think they need another centre in their squad, and while I feel they should have Maule in there, I think Henson is the more likely choice

Yes, probably Henson, his 'versatility' will put him in ahead of others.

Just looked over the squad again, Duncan Jones can be hard done by!

Just looked over the squad again, Duncan Jones can be hard done by!

Good spot there man, for some reason i just expected him to be there. Very Hard done by, along with everyone else thats been mentioned. Biggar's exclusion should now give him the motivation to do his talking on the pitch. The interesting part will be if players get called in once they recover from their injuries. The talk will be if the tanned one will be included. Everyone will be out for his head if he does get called up, especially what Gatland has said in the buildup (injury free etc). Would rather see him get game time for Sarries and play his way with form into WC Squad.Time will tell i guess......... Bring on the Saes :p

I dont mind Bevington being selected but again noticed that Rhys Gill along with Duncan Jones has missed out!

Why does Iestyn Thomas never get a chance, he's miles better than these props picked

Why does Iestyn Thomas never get a chance, he's miles better than these props picked

Iestyn boat sailed years ago, and disagree the only player he is better than is Yapp. Bevington is raw and is a better mobile carrier, scrummaging is coming along. Iestyn is good for 50 odd mins, ater that his tank goes.

TVH11 what gatland said was inital squad will be injury free note absence of North etc. Yet they could be called up when not injured and stuff like that..

As for Iestyn Thomas as Cymro said he's better than yapp yet the younger guys are better than him

Latest posts