• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Tour of Argentina

Apparently Cory Hill is going abroad so effectively retiring from international rugby for the time being at least. Withdrawn from the squad and replaced with Screech. Shocked.

He must be getting some good money. Odd as if he stays fit he's first choice with AWJ in my opinion even though Beard is developing well.

Ball and Hill going is really bad news for us.

Just says overseas.
Don't blame him looking at the regional choices must have been sad ;)
Yeah I saw the article - I should have said 'anyone know where?'

The way it's been reported is that he's expressed an interest in opportunities outside of Wales.

Feels a bit harsh for him to be dropped if he hasn't actually secured a move.

Don't worry Wales will find a 30 year old Premiership lock in a little bit of form with a welsh grandma to replace him

Rowlands must be pretty pleased though.

There has to be something at least in the works for him to say that surely?
It's a bit of a risk to say that and not go in the end.

Hooker is looking a bit barer each year for Wales at the moment, There doesn't really seem to be anyone coming through to challenge Owens, Lake was much vaunted at a time but has struggled with the step up to senior rugby. Looking at the current squad, Dee, Eilias, Parry are 27,26+29 respectively but none of them have really challenged Owens for that starter spot.

Hooker is looking a bit barer each year for Wales at the moment, There doesn't really seem to be anyone coming through to challenge Owens, Lake was much vaunted at a time but has struggled with the step up to senior rugby. Looking at the current squad, Dee, Eilias, Parry are 27,26+29 respectively but none of them have really challenged Owens for that starter spot.
I really like the look of Ifan Phillips and was disappointed to see he didn't make the summer test squad.

I'm more worried about the 2nd row for the WC. Assuming AWJ doesn't make it we're not exactly looking strong in that area. Hooker is a concern too, though, you're right.

I really like the look of Ifan Phillips and was disappointed to see he didn't make the summer test squad.

I'm more worried about the 2nd row for the WC. Assuming AWJ doesn't make it we're not exactly looking strong in that area. Hooker is a concern too, though, you're right.
I thought Phillips would have been given a chance tbh,
Lock is a concern but there's been a few young players that have been playing well at senior level so hopefully they are good enough to make the jump to test level. Carter is in the squad but Morgan Jones has looked decent at the Scarlets as well.

I thought Phillips would have been given a chance tbh,
Lock is a concern but there's been a few young players that have been playing well at senior level so hopefully they are good enough to make the jump to test level. Carter is in the squad but Morgan Jones has looked decent at the Scarlets as well.

Morgan Jones is a prospect for sure. And going by Pivac's comments on Carter they clearly hold him in high regard too.

I like Screech and he's played well for the Dragons but considering his age I just don't see the value in bringing him in (sounds harsh as he has been playing well) but I just wonder if someone like Seb Davies who perhaps has a bit more room to develop would've been a better choice.

If it was down to me I would've pulled Christ Tshiunza out of the under 20 squad and put him straight in against Canada. Lol.

I thought Rhys Davies at the Ospreys has had a good season too.

I think Seb Davies needs to show some more consistency. There's times when he looks like the perfect modern day lock, quick, athletic but still has dome ****le. But he makes a few too many errors and can be quiet in games.

Just checking and screech is only 28 still, so age wise he's not a bad call up, potentially another 5 or 6 years left in him. It's more physically I see him struggling at international level, he's just a bit meh across the board. I hope he proves me wrong though, because to be fair he's been consistently good for the Dragons. Just the Dragons often struggle physically in their tight 5 against the best, hence my feeling of meh above.

Don't worry. I'm sure Gatland will come raiding again when there are more injuries.

Latest posts