• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v South Africa

Now we're done, I would like to see some replays of that head clash, we didn't get the 57 different angles we normally get

A couple of ifs here, but if Ireland win today (not too questionable) and we win next week against New Zealand (a lot more questionable), that's the first and second ranked teams going into the World Cup in the same group…

Glad to hear in the post match discussion that World Rugby are looking to sort this out for the next World Cup.

Pretty much as expected. It's rare anyone beats SA or New Zealand.

A lot of work for Gatland, but I'm sure they'll do fine in the world Cup.

I expected a bad loss, maybe not that bad, but it was always going to happen with that team.
I'm not sure what people's expectations of Wales are. Personally, I think they're in a rebuild phase (probably prolonged by Pivac) and they're going to struggle and lose here and there more often than normal. Gatland will steady the ship, but it will take time.

For the world Cup, getting out of the group stages would be a win for them I feel.

I'm not sure what people's expectations of Wales are. Personally, I think they're in a rebuild phase (probably prolonged by Pivac) and they're going to struggle and lose here and there more often than normal. Gatland will steady the ship, but it will take time.

For the world Cup, getting out of the group stages would be a win for them I feel.
Agreed though England are as bad as us and if we get them in a qtr final you'd have to say it would be disappointing to lose to them as they're same level as us. Argentina are a better team than us at the moment but our record against them is good so, again, you'd have to give us a fairly decent chance there too.

Fiji in the opening game will be the crunch game. I'm about to watch the France Fiji game now actually. I could amend my opinion after watching.

A couple of ifs here, but if Ireland win today (not too questionable) and we win next week against New Zealand (a lot more questionable), that's the first and second ranked teams going into the World Cup in the same group…

Glad to hear in the post match discussion that World Rugby are looking to sort this out for the next World Cup.
right now the rankings go, (average WRR points in parantheses):
Group A: 2;4;13;17;21(76.57)
Group B: 1;3;5;15;19 (80.01)
Group C: 8;9;10;11;16 (76.33)
Group D: 6;7;12;14;22 (74.67)

guaranteed that one of the top 5 doesn't make it through to knockouts. We also have 8-11 all in the same pool. While that it is exciting it's a bit unfair to Fiji and Georgia that they have face each other.

one thing I found interesting was the penalty try. I'd didn't hear the final decision and it's explanation but. Found it interesting the ref had been suggesting that if it was a knock on first the Welshman's actions would have been irrelevant.

My thinking was this: a knock on occurs if the ball is propelled forward from the players hand and then either hits the ground or another player. Ok, sure, so based on that if he had touched it then knock on. But if the welsh player touched it illegally then you don't know f it would have been a knock on without his action, as he may have regathered it before it hit the ground.

Thoughts?

And then the willemse head clash. To me that was a yellow because there was a sudden change of direction and he was in a pretty passive position. He wasn't even in the act of making a tackle, he was just trying to get himself in the right position to do so. Would be pretty tough to call that a red for me. Yes he could have done better, so yellow.

Canan Moodie keeps impressing. With Arendse also not putting a foot wrong its difficult to see Mapimpi be anything more than 4th choice.

Kriel TBF is taking his chances.

Kleyn even though not good enough for Ireland has continued to thrive.

Kolisi was excellent and PSDT looking more and more up to speed with every game.

Marx shows every time he starts why he should start. Mbonambi is an excellent player but why not just start your best.

On the bad side I'm still not a fan of the 6-2 split and the goal kicking needs to be at 80 percent at the top end.

Question is how far was this off first choice? Kriel has gone better than unfit Am unsurprisingly. Not even sure if Am and Pollard are actual options but it seems they are.

Hendrikse ahead of Faf? Vermeulen above Wiese for one last hurrah?

Etzebeth comes in obviously. And hopefully in at least the big games we see Marx start.

And I'm of the opinion that Arendse is first choice 11 with Kolbe at 14 and both Willemse and Moodie on the bench.

The bad stuff- the goal kicking. And we've seen Libbok be on point off the tee last year. Just this year its been poor for both Stormers and SA. Needs to come good in the tight matches.

Also, a lot of our points came off poor Welsh play- two intercepts(!) and an oddball penalty try. So, next week will be a much better indication of where we are at.

Last edited:
Canan Moodie keeps impressing. With Arendse also not putting a foot wrong its difficult to see Mapimpi be anything more than 4th choice.

Kolisi was excellent and PSDT looking more and more up to speed with every game.

Marx shows every time he starts why he should start. Mbonambi is an excellent player but why not just start your best.

On the bad side I'm still not a fan of the 6-2 split and the goal kicking needs to be at 80 percent at the top end.

Question is how far was this off first choice? Kriel has gone better than unfit Am unsurprisingly. Not even sure if Am and Pollard are actual options but it seems they are.

Etzebeth comes in obviously. And hopefully in at least the big games we see Marx start.

And I'm of the opinion that Arendse is first choice 11 with Kolbe at 14 and both Willemse and Moodie on the bench.

The bad stuff- the goal kicking. And we've seen Libbok be on point off the tee last year. Just this year its been poor for both Stormers and SA. Needs to come good in the tight matches.

Also, a lot of our points came off poor Welsh play- two intercepts(!) and an oddball penalty try. So, next week will be a much better indication of where we are at.

Kleyn has had his best ever year with Munster after a couple of years of mediocre form, and must have been in the conversation with Ireland. However, it's not known when SA contacted him so he might not have been available to Farrell, or it could be that Farrell decided he wanted to go with Baird as a backrow/second row verstaility option, along with McCarthy, who is a monster in the making. The fact that Kleyn's form previously hadn't been good enough to get him into Irish camps would also have stood against him, if indeed he had not already opted for SA, which I think is what happened.

From what I have seen, if they want to fit in Pollard and Am, the logical steps would be to drop one of Williams/Reinach (for Pollard) and Mapimpi (for Am)

Latest posts