• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales Tour of Argentina

Evans deserves a shot, is Holmes injured? I would give Rogers a chance but didn't think Lane had too good of a game was a bit naïve at times which got the ball turned over.
Tompkins had to start, centres looked a bit ponderous last week.

didn't think Lane had too good of a game was a bit naïve at times
Is he usually a centre?
I googled and it says he plays centre and wing - to my eyes he looked uncomfortable out there, kind of like when Daly plays wing for England - obviously talented but not really got the positioning down etc.

Is he usually a centre?
I googled and it says he plays centre and wing - to my eyes he looked uncomfortable out there, kind of like when Daly plays wing for England - obviously talented but not really got the positioning down etc.
he was originally a centre in age grade but has mostly played at wing for Cardiff Blues. He's been touted as being a future centre option for Wales but has only played a handful of pro games at 13. To be honest he's struggled with injury the past year and form has been a bit up and down so was a bit surprised he was picked in the squad to be honest.

Yeah considering his injury record recently it's surprising but it goes to show how highly hes rated as it was initially Gatland who was bigging him up but clearly Pivac and co like what they've seen in training too. Holmes has been great though but I'd imagine he's injured if he's not even on the bench. I'm sure Pivac will confirm at some point.

Really surprised not to see Ioan Lloyd at all. We might as well of had him in the under 20s with Costelow.

That was one of the most bizarre arguments I've ever heard from a ref.

9 Arg is in a legal position, the referee not only sees that but says it out loud while talking to the TMO and ARs. But because 9's position it is inconvenient to a guy running a line from 20 meters back that is mitigation for a card when he jumps for the ball.

I can understand a call i disagree with. Maybe he saw something i did not, or maybe he missed something. Maybe he is applying another rule.
Here i sincerely do not understand the call. How is a player whose position in the field is legal a mitigating factor for an opponent's illegal action?

The principles were quite simple: when it comes to balls in the air, either you compete or beware of the impact you have on the opponent going up for the ball. If u misread or didn't see something, it's on you. Period. Now the one winning the ball in the air is penalized for his own teammate's legal position. We've lost the plot.

@Cruz_del_Sur are you happy with the result? Was comfortable, but would you have liked to see the pumas score more tries earlier against a depleted welsh team?

That was one of the most bizarre arguments I've ever heard from a ref.

9 Arg is in a legal position, the referee not only sees that but says it out loud while talking to the TMO and ARs. But because 9's position it is inconvenient to a guy running a line from 20 meters back that is mitigation for a card when he jumps for the ball.

I can understand a call i disagree with. Maybe he saw something i did not, or maybe he missed something. Maybe he is applying another rule.
Here i sincerely do not understand the call. How is a player whose position in the field is legal a mitigating factor for an opponent's illegal action?

The principles were quite simple: when it comes to balls in the air, either you compete or beware of the impact you have on the opponent going up for the ball. If u misread or didn't see something, it's on you. Period. Now the one winning the ball in the air is penalized for his own teammate's legal position. We've lost the plot.
I cant find the laws for this at all, except one saying a player must not tackle a player whose feet are off the ground. I guess that means you should jump into every tackle. I dont think that is how it used to be worded. There is also one that says a player most not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others. As far as i can tell the sanction for either is a penalty. Clearly thats not how its policed, so seems i cant find the right laws.

I cant find the laws for this at all, except one saying a player must not tackle a player whose feet are off the ground. I guess that means you should jump into every tackle. I dont think that is how it used to be worded. There is also one that says a player most not do anything that is reckless or dangerous to others. As far as i can tell the sanction for either is a penalty. Clearly thats not how its policed, so seems i cant find the right laws.
Not sure about the laws, but for me it's an area that is refereed very inconsistently depending on the ref. Some look at where the player lands, some ignore it and look just at how bad the tackle is. I think it needs a clear framework like head collisions to get some consistency.

I thought the Argentinian 9 was very cute. You could see he was looking where Amos was, then he tuned his back and stepped across so Amos ran right into him which then caused the whole thing. If he had his back turned the whole time and/or he didn't change his line then fine but he knew what he was doing.

2 pretty poor performances but glad we've had these 2 games. Really hard autumn series next up so need to get some better results there.

@Umaga's Witness
I wasn't quite happy. I thought our defence was quite bad, particularly on open play. Scrum wasn't very impressive either. We lacked ambition. It's as if we took our foot off the gas pedal whenever we reached a 8-10 point margin.
Wales has 12 players on the b&il tour. We should be tearing that team a new one.

Wales's (full team) strength is in a way Argentina's weakness, and it is a very irritating one to have. They play closer to their potential regularly. They don't shine a lot but they make few serious unforced errors and they are quite good at punishing teams when they do.
With us it is impossible to know which team will show up that day. We can beat the all blacks on neutral ground and then struggle to beat Romania.

If we play 10 games vs full strength Welsh side we will probably lose 7. Having said this, Argentina on our best day would beat Wales on their best day. That is something we need to work on. In fact, we should have improved that aspect from our game a long time ago.

Playing Argentina with a 2nd string side maybe was a bit optimistic but there's no excuse for that performance. Way too many basic errors in every facet of the game. Poor skills in attack, poor skills at the breakdown, set piece wasn't good and there was a number of straight one up tackles missed.

Latest posts