• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Italy

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fa'atau82 @ Mar 16 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
If i recall, wasn't Halfpenny in a similar situation to Prydie? He was barely into half a season with Blues, and was thrust full in proper into Wales XV. Good on Gatland. Though, i'd call in Biggar for Shanks. I would have kept Rees on the bench, but i suppose Phillips needs gametime too.[/b]
Yes, but then Halfpenny was playing week-in, week-out for the Blues, and the League's top try scorer. Prydie has only had one start for the Ospreys, and that was in the LV= Cup.

I would have Ken Owens either starting or on the bench, and I'd have started Richie Rees, Mike Phillips on the bench to play 30 minutes or so. We need not only Biggar on the bench, but someone who can cover both wing and centre. Sure, Tom Shanklin could ten years ago, but he's lost almost all of his pace since. Aled Brew anyone?

Well, Jamie Roberts can cover wing, so that's not really necessary. Aled Brew should be in the squad, but I wouldn't want him as centre cover! It's a pity Kristian Phillips isn't the one to play, as he's been in phenomenal form for the U20's, a true star in the making there.

Tom James should see this as a wake up call, because he has all the atributes to be a good player, but is doing too many dumb things to be considered.

Tom James actually played kinda well against Gloucster, as they spent about ten minutes bombarding him, and he seemed to cope. However, he's done enough against England and Austrailia to prove to me he isn't international class. Yet, at least.

Brew and Shane are the form wingers in Wales, with Will Harries and Halfpenny following. Then again, Tovey is the form 10 (He's been superb since he moved there from fullback, Man of the Match in three of his five or six games.) but nobody seems to have realised, let alone Gatland!

Tovey's been superb lately, I always thought his best position was at 10. I'm sure he'll make the summer tour if he continues the way he has been. Will be great to have 3 genuine contenders for the 10 shirt in Jones, Biggar and Tovey (Priestland's also going well at the Scarlets). Will Harries looks a real prospect aswell, reminds me of Shane Williams in many ways. He'll also be knocking on the door if he continues.

Brew is probably the unluckiest Dragon not to already be involved in the Welsh squad, his try last weekend showed exactly what he's made of, brute strength combined with some good pace, exactly what Wales need with the majority of Welsh wingers at the moment being on the small side (Shane, Halfpenny, Phillips, Prydie). The only problem with Brew is that he's been given his chance in the past and didn't exactly excell, but Byrne has shown that players can grow and improve over time.

Italy XV

15 Luke MCLEAN (Treviso, 18 caps)
14 Kaine ROBERTSON (Viadana, 45 caps)
13 Andrea MASI (Racing-Metro Paris, 50 caps)
12 Gonzalo GARCIA (Treviso, 17 caps)
11 Mirco BERGAMASCO (Stade Francais, 70 caps)
10 Craig GOWER (Bayonne, 10 caps)
9 Pablo CANAVOSIO (Viadana, 29 caps)
8 Alessandro ZANNI (Treviso, 41 caps)
7 Mauro BERGAMASCO (Stade Francais, 83 caps)
6 Paul DERBYSHIRE (Padova, 3 caps)/Josh SOLE (Viadana, 45 caps)
5 Quintin GELDENHUYS (Viadana, 10 caps)
4 Carlo Antonio DEL FAVA (Viadana, 44 caps)/Valerio BERNABO’ (Rugby Roma, 13 caps)
3 Martin CASTROGIOVANNI (Leicester Tigers, 66 caps)
2 Leonardo GHIRALDINI (Treviso, 28 caps) - cap
1 Salvatore PERUGINI (Bayonne, 70 caps)

replacements
16 Fabio ONGARO (Saracens, 68 caps)
17 Matias AGUERO (Saracens, 16 caps)
18 Marco BORTOLAMI (Gloucester RFC, 81 caps)/Valerio BERNABO’ (Rugby Roma, 13 caps)
19 Josh SOLE (Viadana, 45 caps)/Manoa VOSAWAI (Parma, 5 caps)
20 ***o TEBALDI (Gran Parma, 10 caps)
21 Riccardo BOCCHINO (Rovigo, 2 caps)
22 Gonzalo CANALE (Clermont Auvergne, 55 caps)

Derbyshire and Del Fava were injured in this morning training session so they're not sure to be fit to start

btw 4 changes from the last week game, I'm very curious to see how Paul Derbyshire (born '86, a complete italian born/raised/rugby formed player, despite his name) will perform, he showed some brilliant skills in the last 20 minutes in Paris

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danit @ Mar 18 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Italy XV

4 Carlo Antonio DEL FAVA (Viadana, 44 caps)/Valerio BERNABO' (Rugby Roma, 13 caps)

replacements
18 Marco BORTOLAMI (Gloucester RFC, 81 caps)/Valerio BERNABO' (Rugby Roma, 13 caps)

Derbyshire and Del Fava were injured in this morning training session so they're not sure to be fit to start

btw 4 changes from the last week game, I'm very curious to see how Paul Derbyshire (born '86, a complete italian born/raised/rugby formed player, despite his name) will perform, he showed some brilliant skills in the last 20 minutes in Paris[/b]

Yeah he seemed to add a spark into the Italian side every time he touched the ball. Was it off the restart he caught the ball, ran around a couple guys, got tackled by two and offloaded nicely to I think it was the backup 9 who had a decent run? And of course his work in the try was good too. The commentators were mentioning something about him being one of the highest paid players in France or something? I couldn't really understand them, did anyone catch that?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FeroX @ Mar 18 2010, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danit @ Mar 18 2010, 02:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Italy XV

4 Carlo Antonio DEL FAVA (Viadana, 44 caps)/Valerio BERNABO’ (Rugby Roma, 13 caps)

replacements
18 Marco BORTOLAMI (Gloucester RFC, 81 caps)/Valerio BERNABO’ (Rugby Roma, 13 caps)

btw 4 changes from the last week game, I'm very curious to see how Paul Derbyshire (born '86, a complete italian born/raised/rugby formed player, despite his name) will perform, he showed some brilliant skills in the last 20 minutes in Paris[/b]

Yeah he seemed to add a spark into the Italian side every time he touched the ball. Was it off the restart he caught the ball, ran around a couple guys, got tackled by two and offloaded nicely to I think it was the backup 9 who had a decent run? And of course his work in the try was good too. The commentators were mentioning something about him being one of the highest paid players in France or something? I couldn't really understand them, did anyone catch that?
[/b][/quote]
Yeah, they said he's on â'¬1million a year

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Mar 18 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FeroX @ Mar 18 2010, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The commentators were mentioning something about him being one of the highest paid players in France or something? I couldn't really understand them, did anyone catch that?[/b]
[/b][/quote]who, Derbyshire?

never ever even played in France, wich language were the commentators speaking, Huron-Wendat? :huh:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danit @ Mar 18 2010, 09:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Mar 18 2010, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (FeroX @ Mar 18 2010, 07:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The commentators were mentioning something about him being one of the highest paid players in France or something? I couldn't really understand them, did anyone catch that?[/b]
[/b][/quote]who, Derbyshire?

never ever even played in France, wich language were the commentators speaking, Huron-Wendat? :huh:
[/b][/quote]
Ah, I'm not sure. I just remember that when they mentioned whoever-it-was it was â'¬1m that he was payed :p

A quick look through google only threw up Johnny Wilkinson moving to france for a reported â'¬1mil, and Chabal moving to Racing Metro for â'¬1mil (apparently he's the highest earning rugby player in the world at â'¬1.5mil a year, including sponsorships/advertising)

unofrtunately both Derbyshire and Del Fava will not play as their injuries are more serious than expected, Bortolami and Sole will start as usual

p.s.: no italian player is even close to a â'¬ 1milion a year earning, the highest paid is Sergio Parisse who, as far as I know, doesn't even get half that sum, sponsor included

I'm enjoying this.

enjoyable as a neutral; it would be great if Italy could record a win but as I dont see that happening it'd just be good to see both teams making good progress.

For Wales I think Mike Philips back is just what they needed for that extra incision. Italy looking solid in defense but there are and there will be attacking opportunities for Wales. They should be happy to keep adding the penalties and I think the tries will come.

Italy just need some more strength in depth in their backs because they don't ever find the holes untill later in the game - and they need to stop having Castrogiovanni in the centres.

Italys defence has been fantastic, but their attack is lacking. Kicking it away too much
Welsh scrum isn't doing too well

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Mar 20 2010, 02:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Italy started very strong, could be a long game for Wales[/b]
*cough*....yeah :p

Wales looking like they could put more than France did on Italy, especially with the Italians losing their rag a bit now, penalties flowing

I'm glad Jones got man of the match. He really did great for the 65 he was on.
Also, Prydie should be looking to change clubs to somewhere he'll get gametime. He looks good, but is going to lose out to Shane and Bowe if he stays at Ospreys. Any of the Welsh teams in need about now?

Latest posts