• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Italy

is it jsut me or was one of the comentatoirs an bit strange he was talking about a sweet counter or sometihing like that at one point. and he ws just a bit out of it anyone notice it?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Myself in the prediction thread)</div>
Saturday, 20 March 2010
Wales 33-10 Italy[/b]

BOOM BABY!! :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana: :bana:

Pretty OK game...

I support Italy in the 6 Nations, I have been watching their progress, a lot of people think its slow, but i think their playing better every year, but so are the top nations, ireland and France have gotten better, England are always going to be tough but you can see Italy really comming along... they can beat Wales and Scotland so they need to work on that and hit one of the big teams in a few years and get better and better...!!

Anyone agree?

Nice to see Prydie play well, but a shame Hook denied him a debut try out of misguided greed.

Though Hook had a good game, and the team did generally really. Very flawed performance but a massive improvement; though this should be expected against Italy.

The Summer tests are daunting.

I was very pleased with the way we played today. It was close to an 80min performance, which was important + the lineout went well. So that's two of the majour flaws rectified today. We created alot of oportunities, missed a few, but you could see the confidence return when we started converting the chances. I thought our gameplan was spot on, a good mixture of ball carrying and elusive running.

There are of course still things to work on, and Italy didn't offer a huge amount, but some positive signs. The front row looked short on gametime, which they are. The second row went better today, but not much challenge there really. Backrow was much, much better. Warberton was immense, and would have picked up motm if it wasn't for Steve Jones. We could very well of witnessed the changing of guard there, Martyn Williams will have to work very hard to get back into the starting 15. In the backs, Phillips slotted straight back in, like he'd never been away (that's impressive after such a long lay-off and such little gametime). Steven Jones varied his game very well, one of his best games in a Wales shirt. The centre partership was very good, Hook standing out, but was slghtly selfish on occasion. The wings roamed around the park, with Shane in particular popping up everywhere. Lee Byrne had a good game, hitting the line at pace.

Overall, exactly what I wanted to see before the game. Should give us something to build on, but a very tough summer ahead.

Gotta try and remember its only Italy but you can only play whats infront of you.

Not 100% but loads better.

Loved how the Half backs varied the game alot more. Byrne didn't play well from the start but got loads better when it went on. Prydie, nice debut for the lad, didn't look out of place, was very impressed with his workrate. Warburton had a stormer, was very impressed with him. Even Luke Chatertis had a good game.

Anyway, pitch didn't help, a few slips, i think we would of had a few more. I was glad they didn't just chuck it to roberts everytime, Hook played well all bar not passing to Prydie.

In Italy a lot of people tought that the Azzurri could win that match, and we really could, but we have fielded the same XV during all the tournament, and so the players were tired. In first half we have played noy so bad, but we have some players injured, like Del Fava, Derbyshire, Canale, Masi and Canavosio.
In second half Wales saw our tiredness and so attacked more intensely.
Good job Wales!

http://rugbistic.blogspot.com/2010/03/6n-u...to-i-colpi.html

Does anyone else think that Hook is a bit ball-greedy? He could have set-up three tries if he had passed the ball. Also fair play to Prydie for keeping up with the pace of an international game, he didn't look out of place.

Yup, Hook was a little selfish yesterday. It would have been awesome for Prydie to score on his debut, but Hook blew that opportunity. I'm sure Prydie will also learn from that experience aswell though, maybe become a little more vocal, but can't blame him for not being so on his debut at age 18! However, I'm very glad Hook was creating those chances, that's the important thing at this point imo. He's learning the position, and yesterday was his most complete performance so far at outside centre. He'll get a bollocking from Gatland and especially Shaun Edwards who was obviously ****** off at the missed oportunity.

Prydie looked a natural, struggled with the pace of te game towards the end, but that's understandable. He made no mistakes, was impressive in defence, especially tracking back and clearning the ball under pressure. His support running was also good, and he got around the field, offering himself in midfield and switching wings to try and create an overlap. Good to see a youngster coming through in a position we need depth in. Kristian Phillips and Jason Tovey should be the next players in line to make debuts.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Mar 21 2010, 02:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Does anyone else think that Hook is a bit ball-greedy? He could have set-up three tries if he had passed the ball. Also fair play to Prydie for keeping up with the pace of an international game, he didn't look out of place.[/b]

I'd hope not greedy and will point to many other instances, intercept vs France, passes vs England and I'd say that his decision making has let him down rather than white-live fever.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dullonien @ Mar 22 2010, 03:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Prydie looked a natural, struggled with the pace of te game towards the end, but that's understandable. He made no mistakes, was impressive in defence, especially tracking back and clearning the ball under pressure. His support running was also good, and he got around the field, offering himself in midfield and switching wings to try and create an overlap. Good to see a youngster coming through in a position we need depth in. Kristian Phillips and Jason Tovey should be the next players in line to make debuts.[/b]
He did some smart things in defence as well. Didn't watch the whole match, but he seemed overall composed. Must be good as a Wales supporter to see that open thinking about selection - sometimes Ireland's selection is like the old box of chocolates: plenty of good stuff in there, but it's all a bit ... samey and limited. And the orange ones, NOBODY likes them.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 21 2010, 11:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Must be good as a Wales supporter to see that open thinking about selection - sometimes Ireland's selection is like the old box of chocolates: plenty of good stuff in there, but it's all a bit ... samey and limited. And the orange ones, NOBODY likes them.[/b]
Yes it was nice to see a youngster like Prydie getting an opportunity which he took well. However Gatland seems quite random with this. He obviously feels that wing is a position where a youngster can be thrown into the deep end, as he did it was Halfpenny aswell. He also wasn't afraid to give Jonathan Davies an opportunity during the AI's. However the lack of gametime for Biggar is still confusing, but it looks as though gatland sees Hook as outside half cover (as well as fullback cover!). However against Italy, 20+ points ahead, Biggar could have gained some more experience and had an opportunity to show what he can offer. Stephen Jones is playing very well, but cover for all positions is needed.

Also, can anybody explain the point of bringing Bennett off the bench against Italy? We all know what he can do, which isn't all that much tbh. So why not take an opportunity to introduce Ken Owens to international rugby against a tired, beaten Italian side. I know I'm repeating myself yet again, but he's our second best option, yet didn't really get a sniff of any gametime during this 6 nations.

Considering our fixture list in the next 18months, which reads like this:

South Africa
New Zealand x2 (in NZ)
All three SANZAR nations in the AI
Fiji
6 nations
England (Home and Away)

where is the opportunity to introduce these youngsters? The SA game is a possibily, considering it'll only be against SA players playing in Europe (I believe). However we'd also want to give ourselves the best chance of winning that game to boost confidence ahead of the two NZ tests. We'd never hand a debut to a player against NZ, so those two tests are out of the question. After that, there's of course Fiji and then Italy in the 6 nations, but this is then getting mighty close to the WC, doesn't really give them any time to cement themselves in the WC squad does it?

So all in all, a little mixed about Gatland's policies on introducing new players into the squad and starting 15.

<object width="480" height="270"><param name="movie" value="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xco7jf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/swf/video/xco7jf" width="480" height="270" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always"></embed></object>

I'd have the obvious choices (Lions front row and half-backs) start against SA, but Owens on the bench, and a Warburton-Williams-Jones back-row. Hook & Roberts could be the centre partership, although at the same time I feel Bishop could and maybe should be in. Byrne and Shane are definates, and as Halfpenny is missing the tour, I'd put the should-be-fit-again Mark Jones in, providing he hasn't lost his pace or anything through injury. If he had, it'd be Aled Brew, who would otherwise be on the bench.

i was so damn surprised to see Tom in the squad but i was so happy for him cause i actually know the guy met him in wales when we played porthcrawl and partied with him for 4 days straight he couldn't play cause of his academy contract with the ospreys but he was a good lad kinda keep in touch but not that much lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DuncTheDoodle @ Mar 22 2010, 07:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'd have the obvious choices (Lions front row and half-backs) start against SA, but Owens on the bench, and a Warburton-Williams-Jones back-row. Hook & Roberts could be the centre partership, although at the same time I feel Bishop could and maybe should be in. Byrne and Shane are definates, and as Halfpenny is missing the tour, I'd put the should-be-fit-again Mark Jones in, providing he hasn't lost his pace or anything through injury. If he had, it'd be Aled Brew, who would otherwise be on the bench.[/b]

Agree with all of that except the backrow. I really want to see that backrow tried at some point, but I think Williams should be left at home to recharge his batteries (squad for SA will be the same going to NZ). He was struggling with the pace of the games this 6 nations, and think the Lions tour took more out of him that most (not surprising, considering his age). So in the Autumn, a Warberton, Williams, Jones backrow should be tried, but for SA I'd go with a bakrow of Dafydd Jones, Warberton, Ryan Jones (Dafydd Jones should be back).

Roberts and Hook should be allowed to continue their pertership. Roberts will be releshing facing the Boks again too.

Latest posts