• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales v Scotland

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about Phil Godman? He's been having a decent run with Edinburgh... [/b]

God no! even hearing the name makes me cringe!

I think Byrne and Parker will be dropped, Roberts and Shanklin to come in. The only thing Byrne did well was catch a highball and scored a try that all he ahd to do was run![/b]

Er...Byrne had a good game I thought. He actually surprised me, I'm not his biggest fan but he was generally solid on Saturday.

I just dont see this being as clear cut as most Welsh fans think. I can understand the optimism, but when you add in a little realism you tend to look at how close the Welsh were to taking a pasting against England.

While I do think their own pre-season optimism was a little over the top, the Scots arent as poor as the score implied on Sunday.

The Scots pack is still somthing to be feared and if things go their way early, well, this one could be close.

Would like to see the teams before predicting.

People keep mentioning how "close" Wales were to taking a pasting at the hands of the English, yet, for my recollection, no matter how much England dominated, they were only ever 10 points clear during the match and, bar a few slight slips, they pretty much answered every question thrown at them in terms of their defence. For the most part, when they did allow England through, they managed to recover enough to prevent the score.

I would agree that some people are being overly-optimistic with regards to the state of the current Welsh side, there is still a long way to go, but, the signs of improvement are there. It will be an interesting game upfront on the weekend, however, I believe, that even if the Scots do dominate for large chunks of the game, their backline is not potent enough to cause any bigger a problem than England did on Saturday.

People keep mentioning how "close" Wales were to taking a pasting at the hands of the English, yet, for my recollection, no matter how much England dominated, they were only ever 10 points clear during the match
[/b]

Were not England winning 19-6 at one time?

I think Byrne and Parker will be dropped, Roberts and Shanklin to come in. The only thing Byrne did well was catch a highball and scored a try that all he had to do was run![/b]

Er...Byrne had a good game I thought. He actually surprised me, I'm not his biggest fan but he was generally solid on Saturday.

[/b]

Not really, he missed many tackles which could have cost us. He did two great things I have mentioned in that post but he does not deserve a start in my eyes!

Wales should not underestimate the Scots! One win means nothing, that game has to be put in the back of the mind!!! Wales have to concentrate in getting the job done here, I don' think it will be easy as the Scots pack can really dominate the game, however I see Wales backs dominating!

As they say its the forwards who win games but its backs who decide by how much!

My mistake, but the 3 points hardly makes a difference in terms of context. That being that, it may have been a dominant performance for a large part of the game, but a team can dominate all you like, if they don't convert that dominance into points then it cannot be described as being even "close to a pasting".

<div class='quotemain'>
I think Byrne and Parker will be dropped, Roberts and Shanklin to come in. The only thing Byrne did well was catch a highball and scored a try that all he had to do was run![/b]

[/b]

Not really, he missed many tackles which could have cost us. He did two great things I have mentioned in that post but he does not deserve a start in my eyes!

Wales should not underestimate the Scots! One win means nothing, that game has to be put in the back of the mind!!! Wales have to concentrate in getting the job done here, I don' think it will be easy as the Scots pack can really dominate the game, however I see Wales backs dominating!

As they say its the forwards who win games but its backs who decide by how much!
[/b][/quote]

I doubt the Wales backs can "dominate" off the back foot.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

I doubt the Wales backs can "dominate" off the back foot. [/b][/quote]

They did against England did thye not? :D

Confirmed lineup.

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Jamie Roberts (Blues), Tom Shanklin (Blues), Gavin Henson (Ospreys), Shane Williams (Ospreys); James Hook (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Duncan Jones (Ospreys), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Ian Gough (Ospreys), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Martyn Williams (Blues), Ryan Jones (capt, Ospreys).

Replacements: Matthew Rees (Blues), Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Deiniol Jones (Blues), Gareth Delve (Gloucester), Dwayne Peel (Scarlets), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Sonny Parker (Ospreys).

Should be interesting to see how Roberts gets on plus not even a place on the bench for Mark Jones.

Good team selection imo. Roberts was picked because of his strength against the huge Scottish wingers, and defensively Mark Jones is average. If it weren't for AWJ's injury, we'd have one of the strongest benches in Europe, with a lot of experience to come on and change the game towards the end, if Gatland thinks the first XV have done enough to win the game, of course.

Also, best of luck to Roberts, and he deserves congratulations on his first cap aswell, he'll be key for us over the next few years.

Squad id probably gone for but Delve at 8 and Jones at 6, Im suprised that Thomas is there after suffering from concussion (from what ive been told), surley that means hes not really fit to start!

Best of luck to Roberts

Squad id probably gone for but Delve at 8 and Jones at 6, Im suprised that Thomas is there after suffering from concussion (from what ive been told), surley that means hes not really fit to start!

Best of luck to Roberts
[/b]

I'd say that Thomas is pencilled in at the moment rather than being a definite. They'll likely wait and see what happens with him during the week and if they feel he isn't actually up to it, then pull him out late in the day.

<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

No not really, the backs didnt do that much except Byrne scoring the first Wales try.

Confirmed lineup.

Wales: Lee Byrne (Ospreys); Jamie Roberts (Blues), Tom Shanklin (Blues), Gavin Henson (Ospreys), Shane Williams (Ospreys); James Hook (Ospreys), Mike Phillips (Ospreys); Duncan Jones (Ospreys), Huw Bennett (Ospreys), Adam Jones (Ospreys), Ian Gough (Ospreys), Ian Evans (Ospreys), Jonathan Thomas (Ospreys), Martyn Williams (Blues), Ryan Jones (capt, Ospreys).

Replacements: Matthew Rees (Blues), Gethin Jenkins (Blues), Deiniol Jones (Blues), Gareth Delve (Gloucester), Dwayne Peel (Scarlets), Stephen Jones (Scarlets), Sonny Parker (Ospreys).

Should be interesting to see how Roberts gets on plus not even a place on the bench for Mark Jones.
[/b]

This looks a better and more balanced side than last weekend, the only man off the bench i would have brought in would be Gethin Jenkins. It was mindless to leave the like of Shanklin out for the England game.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'> <div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

No not really, the backs didnt do that much except Byrne scoring the first Wales try.

Confirmed lineup.

[/b]

This looks a better and more balanced side than last weekend, the only man off the bench i would have brought in would be Gethin Jenkins. It was mindless to leave the like of Shanklin out for the England game. [/b][/quote]

Gatlan says he sees Gethin as an impact player <_<

Impact player?
The guy is forced on because the hair bear bunch are too unfit to stay on the field for 80 mins!

Shanklin had to start. Full Stop. Not just because he is the best centre we've got, but also because Parker is shite...i wish Gatland would see that sooner rather than later.
Can't wait to see Jamie Roberts in the game. He is such a sound guy, I really hope he has a good game.

Still very weary of what the Scots could end up doing to us.

I can't belive there could 13 Ospreys will start on Saturday again......12 from Wales & Walker for Scotland!

Rightly so, the Scots certainly are not a team to be underestimated.
I go into every game fully supporting Wales KNOWING that we CAN win, but we have to play well, and brush up on whatever we're doing wrong.
The same goes for this saturday.
I know we CAN win, but if we get our basics wrong, if we keep playing like schoolboys and messing up our lineouts then Scotland can and will suffocate the game.
They will make it ugly and they will make it miserable - but they will win in the process.

We cannot get ahead of ourselves. The England game was lucky - the Scottish are going to be very difficult.

Agreed Scotland will provide is with problems and its up to Wales to deal with them to win it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts