• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs Australia

lmaoooo that coming from an englishmen!! are you real, lol lets see how much go forward england get tonight isit?

hahaha cant believe an englishmen is criticising ours and australia attacking play. [/b]

Don't go thinking his views are representative of anybody with a brain, English or not. The point about being lateral may have a small grain of truth. Wales can be very lateral when they get the balance wrong. If they start obsessing about the wide game and the forwards don't do the hard work Wales go wide and sideways. When they have momentum they go wide and through the gaps.

o0o god yeah, dont worry im well aware that not everyone in england shares the same idiotic views of that guy. but yeah i see where your coming from, but im hoping weve learnt our lesson

Steve Walsh will be refereeing this one and I think that's a good thing.

In my opinion he's consistently the best out of all the southern hemisphere referees.

Hopefully we'll be seeing some good flowing running rugby. [/b]

:lol:

You my friend, are a very funny man.
Maybe Wales will get a good referee at some point during this campaign...

you seem so sure about the mighty wales but the game hasn't been played out yet.....

maybe your signature should say "apart from wales were the most arrogant country about rugby!!" graham henry on new zealand arrogance [/b]
Where is the arrogance?? I can't find a single post that shows anyone being arrogant??

Guys I wouldn't be writing Wales off at all. If anything I think they'll be quietly confident of causing an 'upset'. Remember the Wallabies arent that strong away from home and failed to beat Wales last year. They couldnt overcome the Springboks or the All-blacks away from in the Tri Nations. Now Wales are not at the same level as those two teams but at full strength in front of a pack Millennium Stadium - they'll be hard to beat.

Wales have an extremely experience team as well. Gareth Thomas for me holds the key for Wales. I think he is so essential to that team its not funny. Im glad he is back at fullback because I think that is his best position because from there he can view the game and use his experience to inject himself when necessary. Hes also a fantastic organizer due to his experience and is probably one of the best defensive backs in the world. Twoo extremely experienced halves in Peel and Jones and a centre pairing of Shanklin and Parker add guile. The real match winner comes in the form of Shane Williams. If he turns it on and I mean like he did against England and New Zealand in 2003 then he'll cut Australia to pieces. The problem with Wales for me is the line out. Im not convinced about Matthew Rees throwing ability, although he seemed on-song against Canada. Australia will pepper the touchline because thats where they really killed Wales when they toured Australia earlier this year.

For the Wallabies, their centre combination is World Class in Mortlock and Giteau who are both match winners in their own right. Chris Latham at fullback is either brilliant or horrendously bad. I hear Stephen Larkham is a 50-50 chance of playing and if hes out then Id expect Giteau to move to the number 10 position with Adam Ashley-Cooper coming into the centres. The Wallaby scrum is always an area of concern and Wales have two very experienced props to try and exploit that weakness. The Wallabies cannot afford to collapse or get driven back. Finally, I think an area of concern for the Wallabies is goal kicking. Sterling Mortlock is a terrific goal kick but hes not a real sharp-shooter and Im unconvinced about his ability to kick those conversions under pressure. In a close game in enemy territory, with 70,000 Welshmen booing you....Im not sure hes got what it takes. Ive always thought Matt Giteau was a much better kicker.

My prediction: Wales 18-17 in a thriller. Wales are at $4.75-1! Those are good odds for mine. Ive got $20 on Wales.

wales chances will improve a lot if larkham is ruled out. one would think aus would have too much class across the park for the welsh but the welsh at home and the possibilty of larkham not playing could swing it in their favour. huge match this one and the loser will surely end up facing south africa in the quarters which neither team would want. also the latest from the aus camp is that if larkham is ruled out barnes will start at 10 and giteau will not be shifted

http://tvnz.co.nz/view/page/536641/1350879

Connolly said Barnes would be selected rather than move Matt Giteau from inside centre to number 10.

"We wouldn't play him if we didn't think so," Connolly said of Barnes. "Giteau three or four weeks ago was the back up 10 and still is maybe long term but he hasn't trained there all week.

Any of those posters who think Australia is going to steamroll Wales in Cardiff is kidding themselves. Even if Larkham does play it will be a close game. Australia's record away from home against major nations has been woeful over the last 5 years. Saying that I fully expect Australia to win. I think our scrum will hold up fine. They did alright against both the Kiwi and SA scrums in the 3N which are both superior to Wlaes. Our lineout is second only to SA in the world and this is a area Wales have stuggled of late. I think we have an edge in the backrow with the Palu, Elsom, Smith combination. I think one area we have a clear edge is the Giteau v Parker. Hopefully Gits can light up the Cardiff night. The Aussies also have the best defencive system in the world thanks to ex-leaguie and defence coach John Muggleten. I can't see any team scoring to many tries against them. Although I agree with the above poster, Morlock is not a natural goal kicker. If it comes down to goal kicking accuracy I'd want Stephen Jones in my team over Mortlock any day. Wallabies by 24 - Wales 15 (no tries).

At scrumtime, the Aussies will push from the mark, back off from the engage, scrum up, scrum down, basically do anything in their power to cheat. And due to Knob Gregan acting as unofficial referee`s assistant, they`ll get away with it, effectively neutralising Wales` advantage come scrum time.

In the second row, the Aussies will have a huge advantage. Dan Vickermann will once again try to prove his "Australianness" by acting like a knob the entire game long.

In the back row, Rocky Elsom will once again perform the odd spear tackle or 2, talk trash and suddenly claim to be a "hard man". But he`ll once again have a little hissy fit once a single Welshman contests at the breakdown. In a memorable quote, he`ll say: "Not once, did the Welsh boys arrive at the breakdown and ask politely ' Please sir, could you kindly remove your arse from our side of the ruck? Pretty pretty please?'"

In the halfbacks, Knob and Bernie will destroy the Welsh duo. They are the class halfback pairing in world rugby after all. And the same goes for the centres.

And in the outside backs, Wales will completely dominate. The Aussies will once again go looking for a saviour at outside back from the Diet Rugby ranks. He will either be useless and return to League (Rogers), useless and not get anywhere near a decent squad (Turaniu), useless and on crack (Sailor), or useless and claim to have to be more "selfish with the ball in order to make the team more successful" (Tuquiri).

In the end, the Aussies will have just too much for the Welsh, winning by 10 points. But this neutral certainly knows who he`ll be supporting....
[/b]

****-Moan ****-Moan, do you want some cheese with that wine mate?

I find it funny that some saffas find it absolutely fine to give their respective 'opinions' on other national teams, criticising faults that the Boks so obviously illustrate themselves. Criticising Australian dirty play when you have Bakkies 'I like giving Canon lovebites' Botha still in your team, and one of your players suspended for four weeks for doing what he does best.

It makes me regret often sticking up for the Boks and how they play rugby. I thought it was rubbish Schalk got handed such a big suspension, and unlike a lot of aussies, I often gun for the Boks when I'm a neutral. So, when saffas go off on unfounded rants for no apparent reason, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth, to say the least.

Also, as for the Vickerman 'Australianness' along with all the other foreign players we have, that criticism is somewhat valid. It's really simple, Australia has an increasing immigration rate, people actually want to live here. On the other hand, South Africa's population is declining (also due to high pervalence of AIDS) with a -immigration rate (don't know why, I hear durban is a really nice place to live) and surprise surprise, you field a purely national team.

Larkam is officially scratched. May be out of the whole tournament. The future is here. This is a huge test for Barnes. We've replaced a 33 with 102 tests with a 21 year old with 1 test against Japan. He must be ******** himself, playing in front of 80,000. Still he's talented and has some old heads around him. I'll back him in for a blinder

Larkam is officially scratched. May be out of the whole tournament. The future is here. This is a huge test for Barnes. We've replaced a 33 with 102 tests with a 21 year old with 1 test against Japan. He must be ******** himself, playing in front of 80,000. Still he's talented and has some old heads around him. I'll back him in for a blinder
[/b]
You'd think Wales would be favorites now with Larkham out. I think its a major gamble playing an inexperienced youngster against a quality opposition. I would have played it safe and move Giteau to No. 10. However in saying that I hope the young kid plays well.

Just another issue on Wales. I dont ever like to wish ill upon any player but it would be a blessing if a centre got injured so they can call up Gavin Henson to the squad. I think a player of his caliber is what Wales need in games such as this. Henson is an out and out match winner and if hes on fire then he could destroy the Australians. I think he'll be missed tonight.

im soaking it up boys!! having a few beers now, lissening to a few tunes, my butties coming to get me in half hour, of to spoons for some brekfast then into the city arms for a few pints then into the stadium

i have not been this nervous or excited about a game in over two years, and i literally **** myself before every game.

im so much more confident now, probably blindly so, but the majority of wales seem to be right fully 100 percent behind our boys!!

good to see last night all the saffas and australlians in wlkabouts wtching the england game lol, my mate is english so he had a hard time as the whole f***ing club was cheering on the bokkes!!

got to say the aussies appear to be a good laugh!! so hoping for alot of banter on my pre match walk around the stadium

honestly guys, this will be the best atmosphere of the WHOLE world cup!!

<div class='quotemain'>
At scrumtime, the Aussies will push from the mark, back off from the engage, scrum up, scrum down, basically do anything in their power to cheat. And due to Knob Gregan acting as unofficial referee`s assistant, they`ll get away with it, effectively neutralising Wales` advantage come scrum time.

In the second row, the Aussies will have a huge advantage. Dan Vickermann will once again try to prove his "Australianness" by acting like a knob the entire game long.

In the back row, Rocky Elsom will once again perform the odd spear tackle or 2, talk trash and suddenly claim to be a "hard man". But he`ll once again have a little hissy fit once a single Welshman contests at the breakdown. In a memorable quote, he`ll say: "Not once, did the Welsh boys arrive at the breakdown and ask politely ' Please sir, could you kindly remove your arse from our side of the ruck? Pretty pretty please?'"

In the halfbacks, Knob and Bernie will destroy the Welsh duo. They are the class halfback pairing in world rugby after all. And the same goes for the centres.

And in the outside backs, Wales will completely dominate. The Aussies will once again go looking for a saviour at outside back from the Diet Rugby ranks. He will either be useless and return to League (Rogers), useless and not get anywhere near a decent squad (Turaniu), useless and on crack (Sailor), or useless and claim to have to be more "selfish with the ball in order to make the team more successful" (Tuquiri).

In the end, the Aussies will have just too much for the Welsh, winning by 10 points. But this neutral certainly knows who he`ll be supporting....
[/b]

****-Moan ****-Moan, do you want some cheese with that wine mate?

I find it funny that some saffas find it absolutely fine to give their respective 'opinions' on other national teams, criticising faults that the Boks so obviously illustrate themselves. Criticising Australian dirty play when you have Bakkies 'I like giving Canon lovebites' Botha still in your team, and one of your players suspended for four weeks for doing what he does best.

It makes me regret often sticking up for the Boks and how they play rugby. I thought it was rubbish Schalk got handed such a big suspension, and unlike a lot of aussies, I often gun for the Boks when I'm a neutral. So, when saffas go off on unfounded rants for no apparent reason, it leaves a sour taste in the mouth, to say the least.

Also, as for the Vickerman 'Australianness' along with all the other foreign players we have, that criticism is somewhat valid. It's really simple, Australia has an increasing immigration rate, people actually want to live here. On the other hand, South Africa's population is declining (also due to high pervalence of AIDS) with a -immigration rate (don't know why, I hear durban is a really nice place to live) and surprise surprise, you field a purely national team. [/b][/quote] Well, that was kind of my attitude too- usually supporting the Aussies ahead of everyone but SA, NZ (with the great traditions going back to the 1937 tour) and the Argies- due to our close rugby ties with them during the isolation years.

But after the Bok away leg of the tri-nations this year, that attitude has changed for me completely. I could well accept the fact that your management wanted to have their little rant about our second string team. I could quite easily accept the fact that the Aussie press showed zero respect for the boys who ended up touring. I could even accept the fact that a great majority of Aus fans were going off about the Boks devaluing test rugby and calling for our axing from the tri-nations- fat chance of that anyway, seeing as we bring in the most revenue both from bums on seats and from television rights.

But what finally, completely and utterly turned me off being good-natured towards Australian rugby, ever, was the way your captain himself, Stirling Mortlock, conducted himself on that day. Refusing to accept the Mandela Cup, in effect disrespecting one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, statesmen of all time, turning his back on the SA team during the post-match functions. Look, I`m a great admirer of Mortlock`s skill as a player, but for his total lack of respect, well I`ve lost all respect for him and the team he represents as a consequence. And that is the one reason why I will always back any team facing up to the Wallabies. Ever.

Okay then, I won't defend the aussie press during the tri-nations, or in general for that matter. While I thought the decision to field a B squad was shoddy, the reaction was disrespectful not so much to Jake White but the players who were coming out to Aus, those who had absolutely no choice in the matter.

To put it all in perspective, alot of the knobs in the Aussie rugby press, like Greg Growden, are just d!ckheads no matter the team, and they're rather prone to changing their views over night.

Im looking forward to it very much so but still we (Wales) are so unpredictable. If we got stuffed or won today it really wouldnt suprise me.

Tickets went on sale yesterday at the WRU, £85, £148 and £164 face value. I have a feeling there will be a lot of people stuck with tickets today aswell, people just wont pay it.

*** calls uneasy true with an Aussie***

:bonne-de: I`ll crack open a cold one and say "Cheers, Maccaweeny!" (even if that beer looks like a stout, not a lager!)

For the record, even though I`m fully in support of that decision, seeing as the RWC takes precedense IMO over even the tri-nations, I can also understand the unhappiness caused in Australia by it. Seeing as you guys have got 4 "football" codes competing, what with union, league, Aussie rules and football(soccer), I can also appreciate that it could`ve caused some damage especially to marketing the showpiece of union, which the home tri-nations games invariably are.

And your comments on the press are well noted. For every Greg Growden, the Welsh have their Stephen Jones (the journo, not the player!), and we have our very own Mark Keohane.

Forgive my ignorance here,Why are Wales playing Australia in the world cup,A world cup held in France,At home in Cardiff?If i was an Aussie id be pretty hacked of with that,I still think the Aussies will just edge it regardless.

This will be a huge test for Barnes, I hope he goes well. Giteau goes MIA too much.

But what finally, completely and utterly turned me off being good-natured towards Australian rugby, ever, was the way your captain himself, Stirling Mortlock, conducted himself on that day. Refusing to accept the Mandela Cup, in effect disrespecting one of the greatest, if not THE greatest, statesmen of all time, turning his back on the SA team during the post-match functions. Look, I`m a great admirer of Mortlock`s skill as a player, but for his total lack of respect, well I`ve lost all respect for him and the team he represents as a consequence. And that is the one reason why I will always back any team facing up to the Wallabies. Ever.
[/b]

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Please tell me you're 'avin a bubble bath?... what a beat up.

75258871.jpg