• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs Japan

<div class='quotemain'> So a bunch of the Japs called into my shop today and had a browse around. It has to be said, we should smash these easterners. The forwards are big...but not that big in comparison to some of the pros that have walked into my shop.
But the backs! Holy **** these guys are tiny. At least three guys walked in and i stood a good 3 inches taller than them...and i'm 5'9"!!!
We should be smashing some of these boys around teh park.
[/b]

You make it sound like you've got some kind of disease when you say "bunch of the Japs"! :lol:

I think even Shane Williams would be able to do a Jonah Lomu on some of these poor Japanese backs. The sight of George Gregan getting to play the role of a massive South Sea Giant and run over Japanese people in the process two weeks ago was comical and yet sad as well so we'll get to see some more disjointed fun tomorrow! :bana:

Wales to win. Margin....probably big. Probably.
[/b][/quote] Wait until they see Dafydd James on the wing, they'll be running away shouting, 'Godzilla' :p

Did you see the expat-Japs...especially the guy who's been named to play fullback for them. He's a big unit, and originally from Tonga, that's not a surprise.
[/b]

Yeah, i was talking to that guy!
If you're on about the same one as me, with his hair in freaking dreadlocks, he was a beast.
I didn't think he was a back - but i was in awe of his general shape. He was in the shope with a japanese player and another islander by the looks of things.

Kirwan's a big bloke...not sure what i expected from him, but i didn't think he'd be as big as he was.

One of those tiny Japanese backs picked up Nathan Sharpe in a tackle, the look on his face was priceless, there is no reason why they shouldn't be a potent force in rugby given time.

One of those tiny Japanese backs picked up Nathan Sharpe in a tackle, the look on his face was priceless, there is no reason why they shouldn't be a potent force in rugby given time.
[/b]

I love those moments.

Check this one :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbqZy_vTwYw

Commentating is in Welsh so I'll translate. The attacker No.8 Mark Lewis 17st is tackled by the defender De Cock scrum half 13st.

When Mark Lewis is down on the floor he's asking the officials whether he got over the line! He was out of it.

Can't wait for the game tonight, going to see it.

So a bunch of the Japs called into my shop today and had a browse around. It has to be said, we should smash these easterners. The forwards are big...but not that big in comparison to some of the pros that have walked into my shop.
But the backs! Holy **** these guys are tiny. At least three guys walked in and i stood a good 3 inches taller than them...and i'm 5'9"!!!
We should be smashing some of these boys around teh park.
[/b]

Heh do I detect a slight hint if racism here :blink:

Being taller doesn't make you stronger nor more physically dominant :p. I've seen some weedy guys who are less intimidating than a lampost.

Jason Robinson is 5'8 which is apparently short yet he'd probably knock the crap out of some of the bigger guys. Luke Charteris is 6'10 yet he hasn't been the magical token people made him out to be. If you underestimate an opponent you're opening yourself up for a potential kicking.

Ive enjoyed watching Japan play so far, I hope they give them some opposition, but in the end, the outcome is obvious.

Half time score 29 - 11 to wales

a great try by japan however, try of the tornament for me so far, turn over on their own try line then counter attack to finish over wales line. great rugby!

wales scored some good trys but have looked sloppy in the first half

Wow.
Once again Wales underperformed.
We were terrible all over the park. I am adamant that if we played against any team in the top 10 today we would have lost. Our defence was absolutely shocking at times and i'm surprised the Japanese didn't get a 4 try bonus point from us.
Kevin Morgan had a shocker, stephen jones made quite a few poor decisions, James hook showed how easy it is to break a line, Shane got 2nd all-time highest try scorer and it was nice to see Ian Evans playing once again.
There's still that case of stability we need in centre. Shanklin of course adds that key ingredient, but in my opinion Hook shouldn't be inside of him come big matches...neither should parker nor Alfie. This is where i stand as a Henson fan and demand he is the ideal man for this role. But tno use crying over spilt milk.
For the first time in a while my boy Popham had a pretty bad game - he was scrappy around the field and wasn't as clinical as usual.
Mike Phillips should the danger he can be, but there didn't seem to be an stability to our attacks and i think that stemmed from Mike's role. I know everyone wanted to run, but when it was necessary - when the field was looking jaded, when there wasn't much structure - he should have been yelling to the forwards to rumble it forward a few times, get some structure in the attack, let there be some cohesion in the backs before we started off again. Peel may have been the man for this job.
Some positives to be taken from the game, but play like that against South Africa (hell, i'm jumping the gun here!) play like that against Fiji and we'll be in trouble!

honestly i really didn't like that fact that they didn't show any respect to the japanese, they chose numerous occasion in the first to kick to touch rather than kick for goal, when the scores were close. Thats arrogance man and they got pinged for it when the japs scored that mean as try!

and the commentators were utter sheeet! wales this wales that, come on there are two teams on the field

<div class='quotemain'>
Did you see the expat-Japs...especially the guy who's been named to play fullback for them. He's a big unit, and originally from Tonga, that's not a surprise.
[/b]

Yeah, i was talking to that guy!
If you're on about the same one as me, with his hair in freaking dreadlocks, he was a beast.
I didn't think he was a back - but i was in awe of his general shape. He was in the shope with a japanese player and another islander by the looks of things.

Kirwan's a big bloke...not sure what i expected from him, but i didn't think he'd be as big as he was.
[/b][/quote]

That's why Kirwan was so dominant during his hey day, he was preety much the beta version of Jonah Lomu - Built like a Tank, with the speed of a Sprinter.

Just as i thought, terrible in the first half, handling errors the lot. What was Morgan doing with that kick cross field. 2nd hald was much better and we ran them ragged, fair play to Japan, they still tried to play a bit, despite a few moments of slow ball. Didnt get back home (North Wales) untill 5 this morning, my heads pounding too.

Went to the game - we were pants for 40 minutes...Japan definitely scored try of the tournament so far...one of the best i've ever seen to be fair to them....

We turned over too much ball - not securing it at rucks and running into tackles isolated. It's exactly the kind of game that South Africa would love - Habana and Pieterson would have been rubbing there hands at the thought of that many turnovers...

Kevin Morgan was shocking...until he scored and then he sort of went out of the game...Robinson didn't do much, Hook was good going forward not so good defending, hence why i think he's not a 12. Stephen Jones played ok, Mike Phillips was rubbish until the 20 minute mark and was pretty good after that - getting rid of the rust i guess...pack went ok, although why sub AW Jones for Ian Evans? Surely these two should be playing together?

All in all however we scored 72 points at the end of the day, although conceding 18 was a bit worrying as the Japanese only had about 4 or 5 attacks....Nice to see the ball doing the work, until someones hands knocked it on...no names, Ceri Sweeny with a 2 man overlap ahem :p

Phillips shouldn't have been made man of the match, ok he was good with ball in hand during the middle of game, very good in fact. But his scrum half duties were neglected, as he was too slow keeping up with the forwards.

I went to the game. Considering that there was only half full, there was still a cracking atmosphere. All the Welsh fans where cheering when Japan scored.

Our performance was shoddy for most of the match, but we managed to get it together in patches. Apart from the errors, I really enjoyed myself at Cardiff last night.

I went to the game. Considering that there was only half full, there was still a cracking atmosphere. All the Welsh fans where cheering when Japan scored.

Our performance was shoddy for most of the match, but we managed to get it together in patches. Apart from the errors, I really enjoyed myself at Cardiff last night.
[/b]

Although a mark of a top team is that even when they play bad they can still score. Not saying Wales are suddenly awesome but to think we scored 70 points and played badly, yes against Japan but still.

Ye it is a fair point...70 points while playing rubbish is pretty good, and yes - it was good to see Japan score - we had a japanese/welsh in our group and he was loving it with all the banter...