• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs Australia

T

timmyhoran

The Wallabies are *****ing about Wales getting a home game in a French World Cup. Although they have a reason to be ****** I'd rather see them just get on with it. Realistically if you can't beat Wales you don't deserve to win the world cup and Wales have only beaten Australia once in the last 20 years. Althugh I think the home ground advantage will make this game very close. Australia by less then 10.

If Wales plays like against Canada then I would say Australia +40 but I think they will improve so Australia +15.

I said previously that a poor performance was what Wales needed. They needed their pack to realise how hard they need to work, and they need to focus their overall game. The motivation will be high versus Oz and complacency will be low. If they focus, keep their heads and play together accurately at the level all the individuals are capable of, then maybe an upset could be there. If things go wrong and errors creep in, then Oz have the finishing skills to punish them severely with a big scoreline.

I kinda think the Canada game might help Wales porform to near what they are capable of. It forced them to abandon the controled, set piece orientated game Gareth Jenkins has been trying to get Wales to play. The second half, when Wales threw caution to the wind and started playing the 'Welsh way' hopefully showed that moron GJ the way we need to play if we are going to be successful in this World Cup.

Now I can see where GJ was coming from, he was trying to improve upon our weaknesses, but he hasn't managed to do that in time, and he seems to of sacrificed our strengths to do so, and for what? nothing. Now Aus know they have a dodgy scrum against the best, don't see them purposfully playing towards that area of the game do we!

This building cr*p has got to end, were constantly building, and for what. We are in the middle of the most improtant tournament for 4 years. If Gareth Jenkins hasn't realised that this is the time we need to play towards our strengths, then he really hasn't got a clue.

I kinda think the Canada game might help Wales porform to near what they are capable of. It forced them to abandon the controled, set piece orientated game Gareth Jenkins has been trying to get Wales to play. The second half, when Wales threw caution to the wind and started playing the 'Welsh way' hopefully showed that moron GJ the way we need to play if we are going to be successful in this World Cup.

Now I can see where GJ was coming from, he was trying to improve upon our weaknesses, but he hasn't managed to do that in time, and he seems to of sacrificed our strengths to do so, and for what? nothing. Now Aus know they have a dodgy scrum against the best, don't see them purposfully playing towards that area of the game do we!

This building cr*p has got to end, were constantly building, and for what. We are in the middle of the most improtant tournament for 4 years. If Gareth Jenkins hasn't realised that this is the time we need to play towards our strengths, then he really hasn't got a clue. [/b]

I think GJ doesn't understand the meaning of balance. Wales' set pieces haven't been top in recent years, and they won a grand slam despite this. GJ has rightly tried to improve these, but he needs to get them competitive to allow secure good posession to then use for your natural game.

It's gonna be a very close & tough encounter between this two. But I feel the Welsh have the edge playing at home.

Wales by 10.

Will be a tough fight but Aust have strong momentum going into this one and a strong team. If Shep starts then our scrum will equal Wales and I think we're better everywhere else on the park. Aust by les than 5 with Latham playing a vital role in the win

This is gonna be a tough game. Horrific day to be in cardiff in the day, but i've every intention of meeting an Aussie chick in the night.
Onto the game however, Wales will step it up. They will and they'll compete against the Aussies.
Tries will be scored and stupid errors will be made - the game will prove to be decisive in and around the back row.
However, i feel Australia has a class that Wales do not. The choirs of Calon Lan and will be roaring thru the Stadium and it will boost us but in the end there is a consistent talent, there is the knowledge that they have a first class team (which has beaten the all blacks) and has the ability to close out big games.
Wales doens't have much experience, doesn't have much knowledge of what it's like to close out and win these important games - it seems almost like luck if we do get it right. And if we do manage to get a significant lead (see vs france and england last 6N) we throw it all away.

Welsh boys will make us proud, but the Aussie boys will prove to be that bit too much for us in the end.

Australia by 14.

I just have a feeling that Australia will either have won this game in the last 20mins of the first half, or the last 20 mins of the second half.

The Wallabies have been known for their slow starts of late, so if they're going to smash Wales they'll probably do it towards the last part of the first half.

However, if this is going to be a close game, I'd expect the Wallabies to outplay the tiring Welsh towards the end of the game.

The Wallabies defence is arguably the best in the world, so I don't expect Wales to score any tries unless they're against the run of play (like earlier in the year), or unless they can successfully target Drew Mitchell (which probably wouldn't be too hard!).

I'd expect the bulk of Wales' points to come from penalty goals.

Australia will win but not by heeps don't underestimate Wales there not the worst team out there..

I just have a feeling that Australia will either have won this game in the last 20mins of the first half, or the last 20 mins of the second half.

The Wallabies have been known for their slow starts of late, so if they're going to smash Wales they'll probably do it towards the last part of the first half.

However, if this is going to be a close game, I'd expect the Wallabies to outplay the tiring Welsh towards the end of the game.

The Wallabies defence is arguably the best in the world, so I don't expect Wales to score any tries unless they're against the run of play (like earlier in the year), or unless they can successfully target Drew Mitchell (which probably wouldn't be too hard!).

I'd expect the bulk of Wales' points to come from penalty goals. [/b]

Wales have far too many creative players to not have a good chance of scoring tries. They are less adept at sqeezing opposition to get repeated penalties.

Some very patriotic Welsh fans in here. :p

The Aussies maybe building momentum but the Welsh will beat them. They have the players to break that tough defensive wall and in Shane Williams they must look. He will score 2 tries after running around Tuqiri twice and thenchip kick over his head, regather and side-step Latham to score under the posts.

Wales by 10.

P.S: Am I going to be the only one cheering Wales this weekend??

P.S: Am I going to be the only one cheering Wales this weekend??
[/b]

I dunno. Who's the majority going for?
You'd think the neutrals would go for the underdog...

Waaales! Waaales!

That would pretty much represent the Kiwi perspective on the topic.

<div class='quotemain'> I just have a feeling that Australia will either have won this game in the last 20mins of the first half, or the last 20 mins of the second half.

I'd expect the bulk of Wales' points to come from penalty goals. [/b]

Wales have far too many creative players to not have a good chance of scoring tries. They are less adept at sqeezing opposition to get repeated penalties.
[/b][/quote]

As I said before, the Australian defence is SOLID, and I don't think Wales have the backline to give the Wallabies much trouble except for maybe Shane Williams.

Fortunately for him he'll be marked by Drew Mitchell, probably the only weak link in the backline.

Australia will either have this won by the end of the first half, or they'll win a tight one in the last 20mins of the game.

Aside from the scrum, every other aspect of Australia's game is superior to the Welsh. There is no reason why Australia shouldn't win this easily despite some bad performances in the past.

Welsh are going to lose to Australia no matter what...
Australia is way too good for the Welsh..
I dont think the Welsh center can stop Mortlock..this guy is a serious tackle breaker and takes more than one tackler to bring him down.

I'm more concerned about Wales than England, fo daym sure. I think the Wallabies will pull it off but I won't be surprised to see an early try for Wales, Australia are still starting games badly, it will come down to whether they can finish it off. (and it will be a different ballgame than the Canada v Wales affair)

I'm hoping, considering our history in Cardiff is partly the reason why the wallabies have been written off (well that and the whole 2006 European tour), that some of the older guys are really motivated to get a big win.

Hoping to see a better scrum, Mitchell defending better, and Elso wiping his butt with Charvis' face :D

The midfield for Wales is going to be Stephen Jones, Sonny Parker, Tom Shanklin. I aint too woried about Mortlock getting through that deffence.

The matchup between Mortlock and Shanks is going to be huge. I wouldn't be atall surprised if Shanks comes out on top, hugely strong player with pace to get through any gap.

The main weaknesses of this Welsh side is kicking (hopefully Stephen can come in and improve upon that) and our deffence around the ruck (Charvis is very good at this aspect of the game though).

I think it could come down to the players on the bench, and how they can impact a game. In this respect I think Wales have the edge. We have the players to come on to transform any game, especially in Hook, Phillips, Owen and Popham.

My blind optimism is slowly coming back into full swing I think.