• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs Fiji (14/11)

No, those views are based on my time in Wales and Welsh people I knew at Uni (eg a group who made a point of going to England matches being shown for the sole purpose of shouting abuse and being ***s. They were sober too so not even like they were letting the drink get to them) on top of the usual stuff you see on social media. With regards to social media, yeah it's a cess pit but when 75% of the crap is coming from posters from 1 nation, that's different to just crap in general. I used to frequent a welsh rugby forum too and saw a lot of the above on there too.

So that's the answer to why Wales isn't exactly popular. Like it or hate it, Welsh fans, management and players have been some of the worst in the world in recent years. When England had crap fans and obnoxious players, we were unpopular. Wales now has crap fans and so are unpopular. That's just how it goes. I specified it's nobody on these forums and I even lived with 2 Welsh people before who were perfectly reasonable, so it's not all Welsh who are like that but a disproportionately high amount.

No doubt South Africa will replace them the way things are going but it's not like it came out of nowhere. I used to support Scotland and Wales until I got older and experienced the amount of vitriol thrown my way for being English.

No, those views are based on my time in Wales and Welsh people I knew at Uni (eg a group who made a point of going to England matches being shown for the sole purpose of shouting abuse and being ***s. They were sober too so not even like they were letting the drink get to them) on top of the usual stuff you see on social media. With regards to social media, yeah it's a cess pit but when 75% of the crap is coming from posters from 1 nation, that's different to just crap in general. I used to frequent a welsh rugby forum too and saw a lot of the above on there too.

So that's the answer to why Wales isn't exactly popular. Like it or hate it, Welsh fans, management and players have been some of the worst in the world in recent years. When England had crap fans and obnoxious players, we were unpopular. Wales now has crap fans and so are unpopular. That's just how it goes. I specified it's nobody on these forums and I even lived with 2 Welsh people before who were perfectly reasonable, so it's not all Welsh who are like that but a disproportionately high amount.

No doubt South Africa will replace them the way things are going but it's not like it came out of nowhere. I used to support Scotland and Wales until I got older and experienced the amount of vitriol thrown my way for being English.
Do you realise how ill thought out this is. You talk in absolute terms and all you've got is anecdotal evidence. Kinda like when a racist talks some **** about black people and says "well I knew these black guys I worked with once and they were like this so they're all like those guys" genuinely embarrassed for you.

Do you realise how ill thought out this is. You talk in absolute terms and all you've got is anecdotal evidence. Kinda like when a racist talks some **** about black people and says "well I knew these black guys I worked with once and they were like this so they're all like those guys" genuinely embarrassed for you.
Of course the evidence is going to be anecdotal, what else do you expect? A study of which nation has the most obnoxious fans? My personal experiences cannot be quantified but the others that can be are true. If you want to continue to sit and act like you are again the victim and that nothing Welsh rugby or Welsh fans have done is responsible for their current reputation then that's your choice.

Of course the evidence is going to be anecdotal, what else do you expect? A study of which nation has the most obnoxious fans? My personal experiences cannot be quantified but the others that can be are true. If you want to continue to sit and act like you are again the victim and that nothing Welsh rugby or Welsh fans have done is responsible for their current reputation then that's your choice.
Omg the victim card now. It is like talking to a red neck racist who's been called out. Not surprised though.

Well yeah, obviously if you're talking in absolute terms like you are then ******* hell yes I would like some kind of proper evidence, a link to a sociological study or some ****. However, if you were more careful with your language and didn't speak in absolutes then fine, that's your anecdotal evidence and I could do what any rational person would do and reject it as it's meaningless. Your doubling down on this is very concerning. Would be much better if you just owned up to some sloppy language and try to do better in future.

I like your approach though, talk in absolute terms about things you admit can't be quantified coz, you know, I used to know half a dozen Welsh people. Lol.

Yeah, I'm out. Maybe see you all in the 6N.

Says the person who wants to use events from centuries ago to justify their present day attitude...
Lol. You understand little about power structures don't you. You know, oppressed v oppressor. I'd also say you're a hypocrite coz I know you'd concede history is massively important to any countries culture and identity. And, by the way, you don't have to go back that far at all for things like the Welsh not and the attempted eradication of our language and identity not to mention political vis policy or about resources. But hey, you're the guy that says history isn't important especially when talking about oppressed people. You want to die on that hill? I'm not sure you even genuinely believe it but keep doubling down.

There were obviously some dicks at uni, I knew some English ones as well who were hella racist, should I now carry that with me and project it onto everyone here?

And then there's what Gats (Eddie is far worse), Biggar (who most Welsh fans bemoan for his petty antics on the field, but Farrell or Sexton aren't much better) and a grumpy AWJ? What about all the rest rest of the Welsh players who have been as humble as any out there, all tarred with the same brush you tar the rest of the welsh population with.

You say it's noone on these forums, but we still gotta hear it over and over. Just go back and read this thread then come back and say that Welsh posters would want to contribute here? It really is tiresome as I said, because I know you and everyone else here are great knowledgeable posters who love the game, but some of these threads really do become circle jerks for anti-welsh comments that turn a lot away. You might think it's warranted, but iy's just petty really.

Can we go back to talking about how Wales ****** off the entire rugby world by jammying their way to a win Vs Fiji please?

It's far more interesting

Can we go back to talking about how Wales ****** off the entire rugby world by jammying their way to a win Vs Fiji please?
I'll tell you what, go into an Ireland thread and talk **** about Ireland and the Irish and then ask them to shut up and talk about rugby when they start kicking off. Nah mate, that's not how it works, this is the internet.

There were obviously some dicks at uni, I knew some English ones as well who were hella racist, should I now carry that with me and project it onto everyone here?

And then there's what Gats (Eddie is far worse), Biggar (who most Welsh fans bemoan for his petty antics on the field, but Farrell or Sexton aren't much better) and a grumpy AWJ? What about all the rest rest of the Welsh players who have been as humble as any out there, all tarred with the same brush you tar the rest of the welsh population with.

You say it's noone on these forums, but we still gotta hear it over and over. Just go back and read this thread then come back and say that Welsh posters would want to contribute here? It really is tiresome as I said, because I know you and everyone else here are great knowledgeable posters who love the game, but some of these threads really do become circle jerks for anti-welsh comments that turn a lot away. You might think it's warranted, but iy's just petty really.
That is fair enough, it is not warranted for anyone here because the posters here at not the culprits. Put it this way, if I went on a forum back in the Johnson or Woodward years and asked why are England so disliked, what do you think I should expect as a response? We did a lot to deserve that at the time. Now? The Welsh are the ones whose actions have deserved that reputation. Next? Probably South Africans judging by the way the coaching staff and fans have been going on (again nobody here).

However this won't go anywhere further. Above is the answer to the question and one can do with it as they please.

I'll tell you what, go into an Ireland thread and talk **** about Ireland and the Irish and then ask them to shut up and talk about rugby when they start kicking off. Nah mate, that's not how it works, this is the internet.
Tbf I wouldn't want to talk about that Wales performance either, it was pretty dire

Well, hopefully we don't have to deal with this bigotry (some would describe a lot of posters on here as being pretty racist) anymore. You live and you learn, that's what I say.

With regards to the rugby, there's been some really encouraging individual performances from us this autumn but as a unit/team, there's little positives to take away which is what worries me. I know Pivac has had a lot to deal with but I would like to see a clear identity at this point regardless of what injuries we have and this should be ingrained in the squad by now.

I must admit, this years 6N prospects don't look great but neither did they last year and we should've won our 2nd grand slam in 3 years and if it wasn't for a combination of us ******* up and Luke Pearce's awful refereeing against France we would've done so you never know.

Everyone is doing the same thing as they did last year, judging a development squad and saying we're going to finish 5th and we all know how it ended up but people aren't learning from past mistakes. I'm not saying we're going to win again but we should have a totally different team come the first match against Ireland. However, we'll still, at least, be missing AWJ and Navidi who are massive players for us but hopefully we'll have Tipuric, Faletau, Owens and North back. As has been said, though, Ireland and England away make it extremely hard and Ireland are playing some great stuff at the moment. Always about momentum, if we can get an unexpected win against Ireland it's then Scotland at home followed by England away which will be the crunch game. I'd just like to see some better performances but my expectations are pretty low (beat Italy and Scotland and that'll probably be it)

Man I'm so glad I read this thread....

Just one thing being from the Westcountry I always find it amusing when people go on about class and rugby in England. I've known a lot of rugby fans in my life I can think of one who went public school. This is despite having a bunch of friends who went to public school.

Havent read any of this discussion about the forum being anti welsh, but I have to say I can sympathise with welsh posters in here finding it hard. Even when it's banter, the sheer weight of it can make it hard to bear.

So I would suggest to those considering making anti welsh banter to check themselves and first consider what it might feel like to the welsh on here who you actually like (or even if you don't overly dislike them), judge the weight of comments already in the thread, so you don't all jump in and inadvertently come across like a pack of rabid dogs.

Man I'm so glad I read this thread....

Just one thing being from the Westcountry I always find it amusing when people go on about class and rugby in England. I've known a lot of rugby fans in my life I can think of one who went public school. This is despite having a bunch of friends who went to public school.
Well I'm glad you find the thread full of bigoted comments with sweeping generalisations funny or entertaining. Would you find it amusing if people were saying this about other peoples?

West Country is a bit different, I suppose, and for sure a distinction would have to be made between your elite level demographic and Joe blogs' but there is still a clear gulf in class support in Wales and England, it would seem to me.

Not that that in itself is a bad thing, obviously,
I've known plenty of middle class English rugby fans who are great guys, I've even met a few upper class guys in my time that are perfectly personable, respectful people.

I think England have done a great job over the years trying to turn the game from an exclusive private school game (for the elite level standard) into a game for all but I feel a lot of work still needs to be done and that goes for most countries.

Havent read any of this discussion about the forum being anti welsh, but I have to say I can sympathise with welsh posters in here finding it hard. Even when it's banter, the sheer weight of it can make it hard to bear.

So I would suggest to those considering making anti welsh banter to check themselves and first consider what it might feel like to the welsh on here who you actually like (or even if you don't overly dislike them), judge the weight of comments already in the thread, so you don't all jump in and inadvertently come across like a pack of rabid dogs.
Some of its banter but some of it is masked as banter. The rest is just straight up bigotry.

Well I'm glad you find the thread full of bigoted comments with sweeping generalisations funny or entertaining. .
You misread me it it's a ******* trashfire. And frankly for all involved a pox on your houses.

I don't want to get too much into but even at elite level the sport has never been as posh in England as many people like to make out. The North/South divide is far far more prevalent that the class one.

Tbh the only reason I struggle sometimes is because I find Walesonline absolutely laughable, other than that never had an issue with a Welsh bloke. Plus the fact Adam Beard played for Lions instead of Iain Henderson. Though, thats really just comical now

If addressing some issues, when it comes to abuse, it depends who you're with and how its taken as to whether it's abuse or "banter", but do need to toe the line here a little on the forum. Xenophobia isnt acceptable but when it comes to supporting your countries vs others everyone will have favourites. There is a very healthy ABE mentality in a lot of countries too, but thats not a slight against all English people so much as just enjoying a rugby team losing.

In summary I like welsh people, and dislike the welsh rugby team. Couldnt fully say why but thats just how it feels

Also, everyone wanted Fiji to win. Like it's Fiji

Latest posts