• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs Fiji (14/11)

Fancy Wales to lose all their games in the 6N bar Italy. They certainly won't get as lucky as they did last year with refereeing decisions.

I can't see that, tbh
The Six Nations is the World Cup for Wales, they always perform better there than in any other comp - doubt they'll win but can't see them going 1-4
Really depends on whether they have the good fortune to play against 14 men. Their luck looks like it's running out to me. Lucky not to be 0 from 3 in this series.

Really depends on whether they have the good fortune to play against 14 men. Their luck looks like it's running out to me. Lucky not to be 0 from 3 in this series.
Surely their luck can't be running out if they are lucky to not be 0 from 3?

We were terrible today but is that really any change from how we play against the limees of Fiji in these autumn internationals?

Yet we somehow pull it out the bag at the 6N.

That said I think it's understated how average a team we had playing today. Completely overwhelmed by injuries, and a country our size just can't take that hit. Feels irritating to have to keep talking about injuries as this has been a thing for a while that we seem to get so many. What's happening for it to happen? But if you do break it down I'm not particularly concerned going into 6N. We certainly won't win it this year as we have to go to Ireland and England I believe? Which will be 2 losses so anyway whatever happens, happens.

whats the deal with the Wales dislike here btw? Because of the complaining Bigger antics?

**** maybe Wales can out terrible Australia and we will snatch a consolation prize from this tour from hell.

whats the deal with the Wales dislike here btw? Because of the complaining Bigger antics?

It's not down to anyone who actually posts here. Biggar and AWJ constantly complaining is part of it but I'd add the every 2 year complete non-issue about the roof that Wales bring up when we play them in Cardiff (that they don't get wound up about for any other country) and the fact many Welsh fans are exceptionally arrogant when it comes to the 6N. After years of constantly hearing the Welsh calling themselves the best side in the NH, making out players from other teams weren't worthy to lick the boots of the Welsh squad, boasting about how many Welsh are in the Lions... Let's just say it's not just English fans who got fed up with the attitude.

It calms down during poor years but the second they win the 6N (or beat England) it comes straight back again like it never left. Many Welsh for example refuse to recognise the amount of very significant decisions that went their way last 6N and yet whine non-stop about things they perceived went against them. Gatland for example is the only coach to have gone all the way to WR to complain about a try decision in the 6N (against England to nobody's surprise). You then have the likes of Wales Online rating their side almost as good as the All Blacks, right before the All blacks yet again show how misplaced that belief was.

You then get the old attempts to belittle anything England achieve because our population is so big and we should win everything whilst any time Wales fail there is the excuse that the population is so small and they are actually fantastic for achieving what they do. We still hear about the 30-3 win even 8 years down the line. To put things in perspective, we beat Wales 62-5 in 2007 yet you can guarantee that by 2012 English fans weren't still bringing it up yet Welsh fans still bring up 30-3.

Tl:dr, if Welsh fans were a bit more humble and a bit less in your face when they win, it wouldn't be an issue at all.

It's not down to anyone who actually posts here. Biggar and AWJ constantly complaining is part of it but I'd add the every 2 year complete non-issue about the roof that Wales bring up when we play them in Cardiff (that they don't get wound up about for any other country) and the fact many Welsh fans are exceptionally arrogant when it comes to the 6N. After years of constantly hearing the Welsh calling themselves the best side in the NH, making out players from other teams weren't worthy to lick the boots of the Welsh squad, boasting about how many Welsh are in the Lions... Let's just say it's not just English fans who got fed up with the attitude.

It calms down during poor years but the second they win the 6N (or beat England) it comes straight back again like it never left. Many Welsh for example refuse to recognise the amount of very significant decisions that went their way last 6N and yet whine non-stop about things they perceived went against them. Gatland for example is the only coach to have gone all the way to WR to complain about a try decision in the 6N (against England to nobody's surprise). You then have the likes of Wales Online rating their side almost as good as the All Blacks, right before the All blacks yet again show how misplaced that belief was.

You then get the old attempts to belittle anything England achieve because our population is so big and we should win everything whilst any time Wales fail there is the excuse that the population is so small and they are actually fantastic for achieving what they do. We still hear about the 30-3 win even 8 years down the line. To put things in perspective, we beat Wales 62-5 in 2007 yet you can guarantee that by 2012 English fans weren't still bringing it up yet Welsh fans still bring up 30-3.

Tl:dr, if Welsh fans were a bit more humble and a bit less in your face when they win, it wouldn't be an issue at all.
I think much of it boils down to a couple of things. Wales is the only country in the UK and Ireland where rugby is more of a working class roots game. This changes the type of character you expect to hear from rugby fans to one of a higher standing in society to those of every level in society. As it's more a wealthy man's sport in the other parts of the UK. The rugby culture is additionally everything that epitomises Wales as a country and it means everything. That type of passion, "banter" and general attitude is met with cynicism and negativity from the outside. Lots of unnecessary hype for sure from sources like WalesOnline which is crap journalism. Not sure if entirely arrogant though, more just passion and hyped in my eyes. People are pretty respectful in Wales from experience, and we have enough history in the last 15 years to back up that we have competed to the top level which again I think is a tremendous feat considering.

Fact is we have a very good 6N record and overperform often where it counts but come up marginally short against SH teams of the past, despite having a poor club system in a league where Irish clubs dominate.

Just my observations anyway, but I haven't lived in Wales for years and live out of the UK now.

I think much of it boils down to a couple of things. Wales is the only country in the UK and Ireland where rugby is more of a working class roots game. This changes the type of character you expect to hear from rugby fans to one of a higher standing in society to those of every level in society. As it's more a wealthy man's sport in the other parts of the UK. The rugby culture is additionally everything that epitomises Wales as a country and it means everything. That type of passion, "banter" and general attitude is met with cynicism and negativity from the outside. Lots of unnecessary hype for sure from sources like WalesOnline which is crap journalism. Not sure if entirely arrogant though, more just passion and hyped in my eyes. People are pretty respectful in Wales from experience, and we have enough history in the last 15 years to back up that we have competed to the top level which again I think is a tremendous feat considering.

Fact is we have a very good 6N record and overperform often where it counts but come up marginally short against SH teams of the past, despite having a poor club system in a league where Irish clubs dominate.

Just my observations anyway, but I haven't lived in Wales for years and live out of the UK now.
Add to the list Welsh calling it "passion" yet labelling it "arrogance" when anyone else displays that, particularly England. Being a knob is not passion, it's being a knob.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with Wales being proud of what they have achieved. It's just that a large segment aren't just proud, they are obnoxious, condescending, nationalistic and rude when it comes to rugby matters. Go on any story about England and I can guarantee the vast majority of the people talking complete crap will be Welsh (massively out of proportion to their tiny population size they also go on about). English team selections full of Welsh talking crap, Lions selections full of Welsh talking crap. Fixtures announcements, the Welsh spend as much time talking crap about England as they do supporting their own team. All that gets swept away as just "passion" but it really isn't.

It's not just the fan either. As I said, Gatland played his constant stupid mind games, complaining to world rugby, endless complaints about the ref, refusal to recognise when things went their way (eg apparently for many Welsh, Wales being allowed to continue a game mid-HIA change so England were a man down was perfectly fine). You then also had the stupidity in 2015 where Wales were gobbing off about 2013 and the coaching and stadium teams decided they were going to send the England team out into the stadium with the lights off to have the Welsh fans jeer at them for a few minutes before the Welsh came out, leading to the tunnel stand off, which they then blamed on England.

It's all this pettiness whilst simultaneously claiming to be the victims. Practically no other team in world rugby act like this, although South Africa are charging down that route at the moment. A little bit of humility in victory and a little less **** flinging in defeat would go a long way.

History is also an important factor especially when you're talking about small, poor counties that have been actively oppressed and constant attempts to have your culture and identity eradicated by the English plays a big part which is why it's fine for a Welsh, Irish, Scots etc to be proud of their country and wave their flags but it's kinda cringe when the English do it when you consider their history of oppression. But also the fact that most Welsh rugby fans haven't had an silver spoon in their mouth since birth. But it is amusing being talked down to and listening to the English class 3 odd million Welsh people as one homogeneous group because, ya know, social media is such a realistic representation.

The culture in here is so toxic and repulsive it is my understanding most Welsh people don't like to come in here to listen to the bigotry.

Again proving my point
Feel free at any time to address any of the points I have made re history and culture. I assume you think everything I've said is untrue? You see, I have addressed things that I see as inaccurate but you keep coming back with not so snappy one liners that don't address any of the points. I mean, I know I'm appealing to the wrong person here but have you read the bigotry on display in this thread?

Feel free at any time to address any of the points I have made re history and culture. I assume you think everything I've said is untrue? You see, I have addressed things that I see as inaccurate but you keep coming back with not so snappy one liners that don't address any of the points. I mean, I know I'm appealing to the wrong person here but have you read the bigotry on display in this thread?
I just think a question about the lack of Welsh posters has turned into a personal attack, a class issue and any number of other random tangents that has turned kinda toxic as per

Just chill, enjoy the rugby and don't get mad

I just think a question about the lack of Welsh posters has turned into a personal attack, a class issue and any number of other random tangents that has turned kinda toxic as per

Just chill, enjoy the rugby and don't get mad
Ha ha. Don't get mad. I'm not mad, this place is what it is. The internet is what it is.

Anyway, the question wasn't about the lack of Welsh posters, I thought it was questioning why there's so much Welsh hate on here (which is obviously true you hardly see any English hate) which I found funny coz the first response was "it's nothing to do with people on here" you know, direct references they can refer to, instead I'll refer to people I've seen on social media and extrapolate that to mean this represents an entire country of people and I'll unload on here with bigoted comments while at the same time demonstrating the exact behaviour they say they despise in "The Welsh" I try not to judge an entire nation by what I see on social media as, you know, it's a pretty stupid bigoted thing to do. Imagine doing that with a country in Africa or something like that. I imagine the more woke posters on here wouldn't dream of doing that. It's alright for those scummy Welsh though.

And what personal attacks have there been? Is saying someone is from a privileged background an attack? The only attacks I have seen have been on Wales, which again as I said earlier, I actually find relatively amusing as it's pretty ill thought out. The class issue is definitely an important factor though, imo, and worth discussing.

But yeah, amongst the sea of posters trying to troll Welsh posters and the bigoted comments it does become a bit tiresome when the initial amusement falls away which kind of makes discussing rugby a little less fun.

That and the fact there isn't much to discuss re Wales. We have so many injuries that by Picacs own admission we're know treating this as a development autumn much as we did last autumn which was not a good few matches for us either. Having said that beat Australia and it's not to bad. Obviously got our standard pumping by NZ with a weak side but we had a slightly stronger side against SA that did well so if we beat the Australians then all in all not to bad for a development squad.

Add to the list Welsh calling it "passion" yet labelling it "arrogance" when anyone else displays that, particularly England. Being a knob is not passion, it's being a knob.

As I said, there is nothing wrong with Wales being proud of what they have achieved. It's just that a large segment aren't just proud, they are obnoxious, condescending, nationalistic and rude when it comes to rugby matters. Go on any story about England and I can guarantee the vast majority of the people talking complete crap will be Welsh (massively out of proportion to their tiny population size they also go on about). English team selections full of Welsh talking crap, Lions selections full of Welsh talking crap. Fixtures announcements, the Welsh spend as much time talking crap about England as they do supporting their own team. All that gets swept away as just "passion" but it really isn't.

It's not just the fan either. As I said, Gatland played his constant stupid mind games, complaining to world rugby, endless complaints about the ref, refusal to recognise when things went their way (eg apparently for many Welsh, Wales being allowed to continue a game mid-HIA change so England were a man down was perfectly fine). You then also had the stupidity in 2015 where Wales were gobbing off about 2013 and the coaching and stadium teams decided they were going to send the England team out into the stadium with the lights off to have the Welsh fans jeer at them for a few minutes before the Welsh came out, leading to the tunnel stand off, which they then blamed on England.

It's all this pettiness whilst simultaneously claiming to be the victims. Practically no other team in world rugby act like this, although South Africa are charging down that route at the moment. A little bit of humility in victory and a little less **** flinging in defeat would go a long way.

The hypocrisy of some of these posts are infuriating. I keep trying to give this place a chance, because on the whole it's easily the best place there has been to properly discuss rugby, but as a Welsh fan it's been pretty toxic over the last few years.

Good Welsh posters are continually subjected to the type of crap posted above, with a small but very vocal group of primarily English posters spamming every thread involving Wales with stuff like the above, lumping all Welsh supporters into this pigeonhole of whining and being anti english. These views are obviously based on comments sections of other sites where internet is gonna internet, but that just spills over here.

Someone asked earlier in the thread where all the welsh posters are, all sick and tired of the bullshit of this place, that's where!

Maybe some people should just refrain from posting on anything involving wales if it's just gonna be negative nonsense. Maybe the threads will be quiet, but it may allow some constructive discussion to take place and draw some new welsh posters here to help even things up a little. Things are obviously a lot harder when welsh rugby is struggling, seeing so many people taking glee from it.

So sad, and this is coming from someone who's regularly visited these forums for 16 years!

Latest posts