• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs Springboks

I don't think Fassi will start. They wont keep Willie benched for long and Nienaber already said this week that if the World Cup final was played tomorrow then Willie starts.

Maybe we can take a friendly bet. If Fassi Starts against Scotland I change my profile pic for a week to that of your choosing. If Willie starts the reverse is true and I get to choose.
After reading Jaq's comments this morning, I think you're right. But for kicks I'll agree to the bet. I think Willemse might get a fullback start next week as well. Bottom-line, Jaq has indicated that Fassi/Willemse are the future and you need to give both of them playing time to get comfortable with starting games, not just running on after 70 minutes.

Wales team to face South Africa, at Principality Stadium, on Sat 6th November 2021
15 Johnny McNicholl (Scarlets)
14 Louis Rees-Zammit (Gloucester Rugby)
13 Jonathan Davies (Scarlets - Capt)
12 Nick Tompkins (Saracens)
11 Josh Adams (Cardiff Rugby)
10 Dan Biggar (Northampton Saints)
9 Tomos Williams (Cardiff Rugby);
1 Rhys Carré (Cardiff Rugby)
2 Ryan Elias (Scarlets)
3 Tomas Francis (Ospreys)
4 Will Rowlands (Dragons)
5 Adam Beard (Ospreys)
6 Ellis Jenkins (Cardiff Rugby)
7 Taine Basham (Dragons)
8 Aaron Wainwright (Dragons)
Replacements;
16 Bradley Roberts (Ulster - uncapped)
17 Wyn Jones (Scarlets)
18 WillGriff John (Scarlets - uncapped)
19 Ben Carter (Dragons)
20 Seb Davies (Cardiff Rugby)
21 Gareth Davies (Scarlets)
22 Gareth Anscombe (Ospreys)
23 Liam Williams (Scarlets)

Big WGJ there to translate the Afrikaans
Very harsh on Priestland

Thought that's a bit harsh on Priestland who showed some nice touches off the bench. Myhill was always going to be dropped for Roberts coming and Elias can count himself lucky that he get's another chance to start. Not sure is Parry is injured at the moment as I thought he would have been next in line. A lot of faith shown in Carre here, it's either going to be making of him or we might see him getting hooked after 30, he's scrummaging has steadily improved but it's going to be tested now. Glad that Willgriff finally get's a chance, will also improve scrum of the bench which looks reasonably solid. It's just about been 3 years that Jenkins put in a motm performance against SA but also got injured. If he can hit those heights again then that's a mobile, attacking, back row that can hurt SA in the outside channels but also compete at the breakdown. However Wales really struggled with the close quarters battle last week so I can't see why SA don't try attack similarly this week. Seb Davies should not be covering the back row at this level from the bench, expect SLH to be there next week.

I think it's probably fait that McNicholl get's other go at 15, dealt with the high ball decent enough last week and Liam Williams needs to get some game time in. Hopefully they can actually get the ball to LRZ and Adams with a decent amount of space. Biggar should help settle things at 10 but the merry go round at centre has Tompkins at 12 this week. 10-12-13 didn't really work last week so hopefully this one gels a bit better this week but JD2 is the weak link there, really devoid of options at 13 at the moment.

Realistically, Wales are in a bit of turbulence here (I mean, what's new?) facing the very settled and battled hardened world champs. Expecting an improved performance on last week but can't see a win.

Centres worry me. JD2 isn't up to this level anymore and I worry about Tompkins up against a large and hard hitting SA middle. I know it was NZ, but Wales had possession last week and the wings barely got a look in, that needs to change today.

I get the sense if the head coach wasn't Pivac we wouldn't be seeing Elias at 2 against this week. If the line out throwing is bad again I see a few people questioning that call. Quite a bit of strength on the bench in the backs, looking forward to a proper game today.

Boks by 10 I reckon

Realistically, Wales are in a bit of turbulence here (I mean, what's new?) facing the very settled and battled hardened world champs. Expecting an improved performance on last week but can't see a win.

Centres worry me. JD2 isn't up to this level anymore and I worry about Tompkins up against a large and hard hitting SA middle. I know it was NZ, but Wales had possession last week and the wings barely got a look in, that needs to change today.

I get the sense if the head coach wasn't Pivac we wouldn't be seeing Elias at 2 against this week. If the line out throwing is bad again I see a few people questioning that call. Quite a bit of strength on the bench in the backs, looking forward to a proper game today.

Boks by 10 I reckon
I still think age is a problem for Wales. It does feel like a few key positions are reliant on older players, many who are starting to struggle with injuries. Still another 2 years, I think hoping that the likes of AWJ, JD2 and Ken Owens will still be fit is a bad gamble.

I still think age is a problem for Wales. It does feel like a few key positions are reliant on older players, many who are starting to struggle with injuries. Still another 2 years, I think hoping that the likes of AWJ, JD2 and Ken Owens will still be fit is a bad gamble.
Yeah there's a few positions like that, I think there's some decent second row options now which we need to blood and let get the experience. The hooker situation is unfortunate with Dee being injured and largely being Ken's successor. As always, we don't really have the depth in Wales to manage too many injuries.

This persistent reliance on JD2 bothers me as he struggles now at the scarlets, let alone for Wales. We are really missing Halaholo in that sense as he's probably the form 13 in Wales.

I worry about Tompkins up against a large and hard hitting SA middle
I think he'll do better now - he's in fine fine form for Saracens
He just looked straight up unhappy after being forced to play for Dragons last season, and his performances on the pitch showed it - he's a much better player than we've seen at international level yet

Crazy rise for Roberts only a little over a year ago he was playing amateur rugby in division 2A here. Not sure he completely deserves it but he has been very good for Ulster when he gets the chance. What region will he likely end up at?

In that regard the injuries to AWJ and Owens should do us well as we build towards 2023. Hopefully we'll learn a lot in the next few weeks.

Hooker and 13 are the big worries, although there is North to return at 13, so someone needs to take their chance at hooker and show they're good enough. Wonder if that could be Roberts today despite coming from nowhere.

I think he'll do better now - he's in fine fine form for Saracens
He just looked straight up unhappy after being forced to play for Dragons last season, and his performances on the pitch showed it - he's a much better player than we've seen at international level yet
I hope you are right Olly. So far I feel I've seen how good he can be in attack on the international stage and he's certainly got a lot to offer there, but he's had a few dodgey defensive performances. Today will be a very good test of where he's at now he's in good club form again. Felt for him at the dragons a bit, but then you could argue life is a bit easier when you are playing in a saracens team!

Latest posts