• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wales vs Springboks

Whoever replaced Willie le Poux
Willemse? Steyn? Fassi? What about Gelant?

As an American, it's easy to see why people who watch the Premiership assume these players are Bok quality. But for the most part they aren't.

Jesse Kriel
Jesse is the only backup and feasible option for the next World Cup in France if something happens to AM. He is second in the centres pecking order. Important member of the squad. Winger selection showed they will even pick him out of position.

Weird,
By all means write him off for playing in the prem
He's easily good enough to be starting for the Boks, especially if donkeys like le roux can, and Kriel can play on the wing

Only 2.5yrs before he can play for England instead I guess :D

We can make a case for Esterhuizen to be called up.
He absolutely should be, tbf
Boks have definitely wasted the opportunity to look at more players this tour

Weird,
By all means write him off for playing in the prem
He's easily good enough to be starting for the Boks, especially if donkeys like le roux can, and Kriel can play on the wing

Only 2.5yrs before he can play for England instead I guess :D

He won't qualify until 2025 under the new rules

With Willie le Roux unavailable I'm also frustrated that the back up was Willemse. I rate the guy but not at 15.

For me it should read in order of favortie to not so much for the Bok 15 jersey:

Gelant
Fassi
Green
F Steyn (prefered on the bench)
J Kriel (prefered on the bench)
Kolbe (prefer him at 14)
Willemse
Le Roux

Fassi and Green it would be a case of throw them in at the deep end but honestly, why not. These are the ideal types of games for that.

Green who? We have about 10 better guys...we just choose not to let them play to confuse the opposition.......Fassi should be playing for the next 10 years....

One of the worst calls I have seen here. This was a try all day everyday and it's laughable how it was even called back.

Yeah, I agree Jer1cho. I had a toddler in the room with me when watching live, so originally thought Etzebeth was one of the group of Bok players ahead of the kicker. Pretty clear he was behind the ball, and as that video shows, Am did superbly to identify the situation and call/drag his players back.

Not sure how referees/TMO's continue to get these 'key' decisions wrong, although this time it didn't cost a win.

I also thought Etzebeth was in front of the ball - on which, it looks like I was wrong.

However, those players in front of the ball at the kick HAVE to retreat 10m from the landing site, not just "retreat". Which makes it far more pedantic, but technically correct from the ref; but in a way that had no impact, and really should have been "play on".

ETA: Nope apparently they can be played onside by their team-mates (I didn't think that applied here) - so ref was wrong, even on the pedantry.
Law 10.4 (c)

Last edited:
I also thought Etzebeth was in front of the ball - on which, it looks like I was wrong.

However, those players in front of the ball at the kick HAVE to retreat 10m from the landing site, not just "retreat". Which makes it far more pedantic, but technically correct from the ref; but in a way that had no impact, and really should have been "play on".

ETA: Nope apparently they can be played onside by their team-mates (I didn't think that applied here) - so ref was wrong, even on the pedantry.
Law 10.4 (c)
Thats good to know for the future thanks

Law 10.4 (c)
Thanks for clarifying, I thought it wasn't a try based on the first paragraph but was confused as to why that rule wasn't applied for grubbers. Clearly because it's not the rule!

Thanks for clarifying, I thought it wasn't a try based on the first paragraph but was confused as to why that rule wasn't applied for grubbers. Clearly because it's not the rule!
With grubbers, and some mis-queues, you also having the competing interests of the laws of physics and the laws of rugby.
It's gotta be tough to retreat 10m if you've only got less than a second before the ball's first bounce (not that rugby has had any particular problem with penalising players for obeying the laws of physics in the past).

Glad the poor call and some general laisez faire refereeing (though TBF one doesn't want the ref to blow every single infringement- somewhere the players need to start taking ownership of their actions but they know what they are doing and they know the ref wants the game to flow... ********) didn't cost a win but honestly we need to put in the sword when we have an advantage. Fair play to Wales they made us work for it as always but we had the set piece, the breakdown and the gain line and couldn't put it beyond a poor call here or there. Even worse it wasn't not expected for that to be the case. If Wales had a more complete looking side it probably would've been a loss for us.

Latest posts