• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies chances against the Springbok's?

Richard Bands and Trevor Woodman just made me a plate with my words on it...lol great great tries.

Woodmans try was that of a in-form superstar back while Bands was special because its quite hard to score a try against the almighty All Blacks.

Brilliant and rare so rare it'll be awhile before we see another especially in tri-nations.

id love to see john smit out pace o'connor then chip and chase quade cooper and score in the corner of course starting from his own try line would be a sight to see and completley unexpected

id love to see john smit out pace o'connor then chip and chase quade cooper and score in the corner of course starting from his own try line would be a sight to see and completley unexpected

That...that would be a sight to behold. Smit would automatically be the greatest front rower ever in Rugby or maybe not but try telling a youngster that.

Didn't John Smit grubber it through to Habana to score but Matfield picked it up, after a bit of a scramble and scored? It was a brilliant try and even better kick.

Sure, but by that logic, Keese Meeuws was far greater than Carl Hayman, as Hayman scored 1 international try to Meeuws's 10. I was never trying to say it was the most important thing for a prop. Finishing tries means very little as a prop if you can't support your end of the scrum. Being a handy try scorer is just a nice advantage for a prop to have, I didn't offer it as reason why he was a great prop. I think he is good for other things, I also thought it was a nice statistic to add, as I haven't heard many people mention Ben Alexander's try scoring feats on this forum, and they are very impressive for a prop.

Ben Alexander is a seriously good scrummager. Why do people keep over looking that part! his scrummaging is absolutely top notch, he even moves over to the tight head for the Wallabies most of the time just because he can, he schooled the NH sides last year in the scrum. The try-scoring thing is just a quirk on the side, its by no means his greatest asset.

I wouldn't say he hangs out of the tight too much either, i mean he did spend alot of time a bit looser out for the Brumbies which helped his try scoring talley, but when they needed him in there he was there.

Emm Range i think you and Nick are on tha same page but you seem to be fighting over wheat or not he is a goos scrumager and you both saying yes.

Not at all gmoe.. do you have something to add? They are far from having a "marshmellow" scrum.. You do realise that the guys that played England aren't the first choice players right?

I understand that they weren't the first choice scrum but their technique was exposed time and time again by Dad's Army.

I think Alexander is a good prop, but I wouldn't choose him ahead of Tony Woodcock! Woodcock's work against the Boks was far above what Alexander has shown so far in his career.

I understand that they weren't the first choice scrum but their technique was exposed time and time again by Dad's Army.

I think Alexander is a good prop, but I wouldn't choose him ahead of Tony Woodcock! Woodcock's work against the Boks was far above what Alexander has shown so far in his career.

im not even going to respond anymore

Emm Range i think you and Nick are on tha same page but you seem to be fighting over wheat or not he is a goos scrumager and you both saying yes.

Lol, spot on. I was saying he was a good scrummager, I was just adding he can score tries as well. I prefer Ben Alexander to Ben Robinson if I had to pick only one prop to have from Australia.

Good achievement for Alexander but he does tend to stay out of rucks to stay in the loose which allows him to pop up for tries. And don't jib Meeuws he was a quality prop as is Hayman.

I loved Meeuws, I even wanted him to make an epic comeback in last years ANZC, it's just Carl Hayman is regarded as NZ's best prop by most, despite scoring so little tries. Meeuws, Oliver and Hayman were an epic trio for both the Highlanders and All Blacks.

Last edited:
yeah meeuws wasnt really regarded as a top scrummager though
could anyone tell me if i could watch this game online because im stuck in an area with no tv coverage

Lol, spot on. I was saying he was a good scrummager, I was just adding he can score tries as well. I prefer Ben Alexander to Ben Robinson if I had to pick only one prop to have from Australia.

I loved Meeuws, I even wanted him to make an epic comeback in last years ANZC, it's just Carl Hayman is regarded as NZ's best prop by most, despite scoring so little tries. Meeuws, Oliver and Hayman were an epic trio for both the Highlanders and All Blacks.

Scary how Meeuws then Hayman came along for NZ ... sometimes that does not happen for years, by that I mean two World Class tight head props almost coming back to back of each other.

I reckon that if AUS can beat SA they will finish 2nd this year. the AB are just on a roll.

The most important part will be the first 5 seconds. Will Matfield be able to catch the ball this time straight from the kick off. That's where the Springboks lost the little bit of confidence they had when the match started

I'm wondering how a PDV motivational talk is supposed to work before a game without the players using up all their strength in order to not ROFL. That's why we lose before even starting!

Scary how Meeuws then Hayman came along for NZ ... sometimes that does not happen for years, by that I mean two World Class tight head props almost coming back to back of each other.

He played better on the loose head, but was also a good tight head, which is pretty impressive.

i think australia will nick it, because sa are coming off the back of two bad weeks and are fairly shook up. its going to be tight though

South Africa by 10. The SA V NZ games would have being closer if they had kept their heads. Australia don't scare me on the world stage. Jeeeez, even England beat the Aus. Australia are by far the weakest team in the Tri Nations.... By far!!

Latest posts