• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies chances against the Springbok's?

southseasman

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
After watching the All blacks demolish the Spring Bok's for the second time in a row. I now wonder if the Wallabies have a chance to beat SA. I had previously ruled out this possibility based on the Wallabies lack lustre performance against recent opponnents. Deans has a lot of work to do with his crew...I've never seen such an unfit and uncohesive Wallabie squad, for a long time. Even after two hidings and only one week to recover...I still would have to rate SA as slim favourites. No doubt Henry and the boys will be eager to see their two arch enemies try and throttle each other on Saturday...so will I.

I do think SA will win, though i don't think it'll be a hammering, and i think that Aus have a better chance than a lot of people think.
Australia are the SH team i like the most, so I'll be cheering them on Saturday

I'd go as far to say that Australia are possibly the favourites, certainly if the game is in Oz. I

The wallabies would have learnt alot from the recent AB games. Notebly that the boks are pretty clueless once their kicking game goes down the drain. Defuse that and they have a pretty good chance of winning this one. Although after 2 hidings already I think the Bok's might be reconsidering their gameplan, yea right.

I'd say that if it is on the cards but if South Africa get into their stride and curb their poor dicipline then Australia could be overwhelmed.

Specifically Australia really desperately need to sort out the scrum. Smoke and mirrors didn't cut it when Andrew Sheridan came on the scene and definitely doesn't cut it now.

Yeah this one is tough to call, both teams have shaky recent form. i give the edge to the Aussies at home seven or under.

I'd say that if it is on the cards but if South Africa get into their stride and curb their poor dicipline then Australia could be overwhelmed.

Specifically Australia really desperately need to sort out the scrum. Smoke and mirrors didn't cut it when Andrew Sheridan came on the scene and definitely doesn't cut it now.

I'm not sure how far away Robinson, Alexander and TPN/Moore are but once they get those guys back i honestly think that Australia has the best front row in world rugby right now. Their problem isn't with their scrum its with their depth, which is understandable given that they dont even have a provincial competition.

I hope the Wallabies absolutely thrash the Springboks, the Aussies have decided that they want to play a free flowing, running rugby game. Its for the best for us as neutral fans to see as many international teams as possible playing that kind of rugby.

I was in OZ when the Wallabies played Ireland, after the match I listened to the usual aussie tv experts appraise each teams performance. When the question was asked...How would the Wallabies do in the Tri Nations based on current performance? There were some very grim faces amongst them and comments like...there would have to be a big lift in performance...was the general concensus. As Hurricane said...the best thing that came out for Deans and his lads over the last 2 weeks was to get a good preview of what the Wallabies are up against. Whither he (Deans) or his team have the ability to trample the Spring Bok's further into the mire or try and overpower the raging All Black's...is another question.

I'm not sure how far away Robinson, Alexander and TPN/Moore are but once they get those guys back i honestly think that Australia has the best front row in world rugby right now.

Really? Care to elaborate?

Really? Care to elaborate?

I think that Alexander is the best loosehead prop in the world, and that with TPN/Moore and Robinson not only do they have one of the best scrums around, but they all have an astonishing workrate. Not really sure how to elaborate any further..

Well Alexander is out for the whole Tri-Nations but Moore and Robinson will be there for this game.

Also Australia has a good record at Suncorp Stadium where they have won 14 from 17 and won all against the Springboks, 6 from 6.

I think that Alexander is the best loosehead prop in the world, and that with TPN/Moore and Robinson not only do they have one of the best scrums around, but they all have an astonishing workrate. Not really sure how to elaborate any further..

I think we'll have to agree to disagree there...

I think we'll have to agree to disagree there...

Well it is only an opinion. I just haven't seen him bettered at scrumtime and he has the workrate of a loose forward. He scored 7 tries in the super 14, only 3 guys in the comp bagged more than him. Who would you say is better?

Yeah, I'd say the best front row would be a huge stretch. I'd rate France, Wales, New Zealand and England above the current Australian front row, even with Robinson, Moore and Alexander fully fit. I think people are over rating the Australian front row, because for once they don't suck. One thing I'll say though, Alexander is a brilliant try scorer, 7 tries in this years S14 which makes him the 4th equal try scorer this year, and only two tries below the top try scorers Joe Rokocoko and Drew Mitchell. He's very impressive in the loose. As far as props goes though, I'd take Woodcock and Franks over Alexander and Robinson any day of the week (I can see why you like them though, they're defenitly better than props we've seen from Australia in the past).

I still think South Africa will win, especially now JDV is forced out of the squad from a 2 week ban, so now Aplon can have a start. The Boks do need however to work well off the set piece better. Boring rugby can beat Australia, we've seen that from the Australia v England games, which have been very close. The Wallabies will have an average scrum with no Alexander, which the Springboks won't be bettered like they were against the All Blacks, and providing South Africa dominate at the line out (I'd bring in Bekkers), I think South Africa will win.

Australia would need to play very much a running game, and the rest of the Australian team should now be used to Quade Cooper's type of game. If the Wallabies are to win, I think they need to play a open running game, with perhaps less pre planned moves, and more focused on playing what's infront of them, as the Springboks defence is pretty clever at spotting running patterns.

I think the aussie backs are much better than the springboks. with the springbok forwards playing so badly I think the wallabies have a fair chance.

The game can go two ways:-

A. The Boks steamroll Australia and their marshmallow scrum

or

B. Australia tackles their backsides off and demoralizes the Boks into leaking points via the boot or soft tries.

The Bok's are definately shell-shocked at the hidings which NZ gave them, especially when 12 months ago they were untouchable. I think a lot of them have underestimated the ref's handling of the new laws and their game has subsequently suffered. Whatever the reason, they need to pick it up in order to avoid a Tri Nations clean sweep which the Aussies and Kiwis are capable of doing.

Leading into next year's tournament, I think NZ have definately shown the game plan that they want to take into the WC. And so long as the tries keep coming they will continue to adopt it!

You're being sarcastic right? This has to be a joke LOL..

You're being sarcastic right? This has to be a joke LOL..

Not at all gmoe.. do you have something to add? They are far from having a "marshmellow" scrum.. You do realise that the guys that played England aren't the first choice players right?

Latest posts