Reserves:

16. Stephen Moore, (Brumbies)
17. Matt Dunning, (Western Force)
18. Dean Mumm, (NSW Waratahs)
19. George Smith, (Brumbies)
20. Luke Burgess, (NSW Waratahs)
21. Drew Mitchell, (Western Force)
22. James O’Connor, (Western Force)

From a AB's fan I couldn't be happier to see George Smith relegated to the bench - while Pocock is undoubtedly talented I don't think he is at the same level as Smith (yet). An otherwise predictable side, though I thought they may have played Ioane at centre (where he was so effective in the Super 14) and started Mitchell on the wing - maybe they thought it would be a gamble as I don't think Ioane has started a game at centre for the Wallabies.

AB's side to be announced later today - by all accounts it should be very similar to the side that played the last test, apart from Sivivatu replacing Rococoko on the wing, Smith replacing Toeava at centre, and possibly So'oialo replacing Read at 8.

Edit: I should really learn how to spell "Wallabies" - I would change it but I don't know how (or if I can) edit the ***le of the post though......

Just to build up the hype I attached a photo from Wallaby training. It features James O'Conner whispering drop goal advice to Matt Dunning.

babies.jpg

AB's named:
1. Tony Woodcock (58 Tests)
2. Andrew Hore (43)
3. Neemia Tialata (37)
4. Brad Thorn (33)
5. Tom Donnelly (1)
6. Adam Thomson (12)
7. Richie McCaw â€" captain (76)
8. Rodney So’oialo (60)
9. Jimmy Cowan (28)
10. Dan Carter (62)
11. Sitiveni Sivivatu (39)
12. Ma’a Nonu (42)
13. Conrad Smith (25)
14. Cory Jane (7)
15. Mils Muliaina (77)

Reserves:
16. Corey Flynn (5)
17. John Afoa (20)
18. Jason Eaton (13)
19. Kieran Read (12)
20. Brendon Leonard (12)
21. Stephen Donald (16)
22. Tamati Ellison - uncapped

The AB's 22 is mostly as expected, it's good to see both Sivivatu and Smith back in action. The only change I might have made to this team would be having Boric on the bench rather than Eaton.

It seems like this could be the last chance for So'oialo to impress Henry and get his spot back from Read. It's a shame because he has been a great player for the AB's over the last few years and he is very unlucky to be a little out of form just when the likes of Read and Messam are starting to look like long term options.

Ryan Cross is a weak link in the Aussie backline and lets be honest; a penetrating backline is about the only hope for the Wallabies. Ja, Cross gets some good go-forward but tends to push too hard rather than look for the off-load. He's a hard man to bring down but this is test rugby not S14 and he will get handled pretty easily.

Would rather have opted for AAC at 13 with Mitchell at the back or Iaone with Mitchell on the wing for more uncertainty/x-factor. Well, maybe Palu and Chisholm can add some grunt that has been lacking recently. IMO Aus should have done everything in their ability to keep Mark Gerrard and IMO the third best forward in the country in Hugh McMennimen.

Couldn't care less about the outcome but I hope Aus will make some progress as I wouldn't like seeing them lose to anyone in the AIs. Last years loss against Wales gave the ******** something to cheer about.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Oct 28 2009, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Couldn't care less about the outcome but I hope Aus will make some progress as I wouldn't like seeing them lose to anyone in the AIs. Last years loss against Wales gave the ******** something to cheer about.
[/b]
Honestly, I was cheering for Wales. They finally managed to beat the "********".. :p

Why with the hate man? I hear CSR did some great things over in Fiji back in the day.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Maccaweeny @ Oct 29 2009, 04:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why with the hate man? I hear CSR did some great things over in Fiji back in the day.[/b]
Good news (for New Zealand) with Barnes ruled out for Australia. Ashley-Cooper moves into the midfield with James 'I choke when playing the All Blacks' O'Conner at fullback . :bana:

I'd say our chances of losing without Barnes have just improved 90%.

This is what the great Robbie has gone for in his absence:

11. Ioane
12. Ashley-Cooper
13. Cross
14. Hynes
15. O'Connor

Why the f*** would you move a utility with no playing time in that position over the last few seasons who has a proven track record of sus defence to inside centre. And then move a player who has imploded every time he's faced the All Blacks to replace him at fullback. I hate having no depth, there should be a cut and dry replacement for any postion should the first choice player fall to injury.

It's just a weak, non threatening backline. Here's what I would have done:

11. Mitchell
12. Cross
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. Ashley-Cooper

At least it's trying something new that hasn't already been proven to fail. I don't like Cross but we really haven't developed anyone else to throw in at the deep end.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Oct 30 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

11. Ioane
12. Ashley-Cooper
13. Cross
14. Hynes
15. O'Connor

Why the f*** would you move a utility with no playing time in that position over the last few seasons who has a proven track record of sus defence to inside centre. And then move a player who has imploded every time he's faced the All Blacks to replace him at fullback. I hate having no depth, there should be a cut and dry replacement for any postion should the first choice player fall to injury.

11. Mitchell
12. Cross
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. Ashley-Cooper

At least it's trying something new that hasn't already been proven to fail. I don't like Cross but we really haven't developed anyone else to throw in at the deep end.[/b]
Agreed. I don't get the obsession with moving Ashley-Cooper to fill in whenever there is an injury - I think he is clearly the number 1 fullback in Australia, so they should play him there every week, rather than shove him where-ever the injury occurs (I bet he's glad Benn Robinson didn't get injured as he'd probably be made to play there!). Another alternative to Cross at second-five would be to play Quade Cooper (either inside or outside Giteau) - sure he's not the complete player but in a one off test why not try something new as opposed to something that has been tried and has failed numerous times (I'm referring to Ashley-Cooper at 12 not Cross).

Exactly. Why shift AAC all over the place and not leave him alone at fullback??

and the Cooper / Gits combo should be tried out here in this dead-rubber.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Oct 30 2009, 01:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

11. Ioane
12. Ashley-Cooper
13. Cross
14. Hynes
15. O'Connor

11. Mitchell
12. Cross
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. Ashley-Cooper

At least it's trying something new that hasn't already been proven to fail. I don't like Cross but we really haven't developed anyone else to throw in at the deep end.[/b]

Actually, AAC is an excellent defender... just not at inside centre sitting in between Giteau and Cross... Cross being the weakest link...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (darwin_23 @ Oct 30 2009, 12:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wally @ Oct 30 2009, 01:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

11. Ioane
12. Ashley-Cooper
13. Cross
14. Hynes
15. O'Connor

11. Mitchell
12. Cross
13. Ioane
14. Hynes
15. Ashley-Cooper

Agreed. I don't get the obsession with moving Ashley-Cooper to fill in whenever there is an injury - I think he is clearly the number 1 fullback in Australia, so they should play him there every week, rather than shove him where-ever the injury occurs (I bet he's glad Benn Robinson didn't get injured as he'd probably be made to play there!). Another alternative to Cross at second-five would be to play Quade Cooper (either inside or outside Giteau) - sure he's not the complete player but in a one off test why not try something new as opposed to something that has been tried and has failed numerous times (I'm referring to Ashley-Cooper at 12 not Cross).

[/b][/quote]
Yeah forgot about Quade Cooper good call man.

And every time I've seen AAC play centre this year for the Wallabies he's looked out of sorts in defence. Partly due to the ridiculous centre combinations.

Why put O'Connor within 200m of the field?

11. Mitchell
12. Ioane
13. Cross
14. Hynes
15. AAC
would be ok, I would love to see Ioane at 12, see if he would be as damaging.

Going to the game tomorrow with the boys of the Club...First time seeing the AB's live...

Should be nice...

Very strange to see Aus with a quality forward pack (except for the second row) but a bit in shambles across the backrow.. lack of depth brought on by AUS only having 4 teams and nothing apart from the S14.

Personally I feel the worst thng for SH rugby is the new S15; rather than cancal after 1 year, Aus should have stuck to trying to create a domestic competition. Now, the new S15 conference system will see the Currie cup and AirNZ cup redundant and kill off the grassroots of both these countries to some degree and I can't see it suddenly making rugby popular in Aus. Popularity comes from the ground up; people play it in school, then varsity or a club and it gets stuck on you. Same thing in SA in that the goverment wants the sport to be more representative of the 90% black population but does almost nothing for black talent to be developed at schools but insist of more black players to be included out of nowhere.

Here's hoping the S15 will fall flat on its ass in 1 year (and we being so close to 2011!) Where is Kurtley Beale? He is more solid than Cooper, though Cooper can turn a game on its head.

9 Genia
10 Beale/Cooper
11 Mitchell
12 Giteau
13 Iaone
14 Hynes
15 Ashley-Cooper

That backline has way too many Reds player for my taste, though (4/6). I can only imaging Peter de Villiers picking 4 Lions players in the Bok backline.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Oct 31 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Very strange to see Aus with a quality forward pack (except for the second row) but a bit in shambles across the backrow.. lack of depth brought on by AUS only having 4 teams and nothing apart from the S14.

Personally I feel the worst thng for SH rugby is the new S15; rather than cancal after 1 year, Aus should have stuck to trying to create a domestic competition. Now, the new S15 conference system will see the Currie cup and AirNZ cup redundant and kill off the grassroots of both these countries to some degree and I can't see it suddenly making rugby popular in Aus. Popularity comes from the ground up; people play it in school, then varsity or a club and it gets stuck on you. Same thing in SA in that the goverment wants the sport to be more representative of the 90% black population but does almost nothing for black talent to be developed at schools but insist of more black players to be included out of nowhere.

Here's hoping the S15 will fall flat on its ass in 1 year (and we being so close to 2011!) Where is Kurtley Beale? He is more solid than Cooper, though Cooper can turn a game on its head.

9 Genia
10 Beale/Cooper
11 Mitchell
12 Giteau
13 Iaone
14 Hynes
15 Ashley-Cooper

That backline has way too many Reds player for my taste, though (4/6). I can only imaging Peter de Villiers picking 4 Lions players in the Bok backline.[/b]
I am sorry, but are you saying that the Australian back-row is a shambles? How can a back-row which consists of Rocky Elsom (man of the Heineken Cup last year), David Pocock (who at such a young age is already being tipped as the next captain of Australia) and Palu? - ok, I'll give you Palu, I'd have rather seen Smith at No.8 ;) The Australian second-row is pretty damn strong, James Horwill is a quality player who can only get better, and Mark Chisholm is just an animal, with huge arms :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Oct 31 2009, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Oct 31 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

9 Genia
10 Beale/Cooper
11 Mitchell
12 Giteau
14 Hynes
15 Ashley-Cooper

That backline has way too many Reds player for my taste, though (4/6). I can only imaging Peter de Villiers picking 4 Lions players in the Bok backline.[/b]
I am sorry, but are you saying that the Australian back-row is a shambles? How can a back-row which consists of Rocky Elsom (man of the Heineken Cup last year), David Pocock (who at such a young age is already being tipped as the next captain of Australia) and Palu? - ok, I'll give you Palu, I'd have rather seen Smith at No.8 ;) The Australian second-row is pretty damn strong, James Horwill is a quality player who can only get better, and Mark Chisholm is just an animal, with huge arms :p
[/b][/quote] Did you see who won the battle of the breakdown last time? at best the back three needs to improve on that poor performance.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wjd23104 @ Oct 31 2009, 06:43 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gavin @ Oct 31 2009, 02:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (stormer2010 @ Oct 31 2009, 12:12 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

9 Genia
10 Beale/Cooper
11 Mitchell
12 Giteau
14 Hynes
15 Ashley-Cooper

[/b][/quote] Did you see who won the battle of the breakdown last time? at best the back three needs to improve on that poor performance.

[/b][/quote]
I did see it, but it is difficult to win a battle of the breakdown when you are playing against Richie McCaw.

Latest posts