• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies vs All Blacks @ Sydney

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Aug 23 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Anyone else think the Bokke are one step beyond both teams?[/b]
Of course they are, but the AB's have no form at the moment; when they're on top of their game, they can rival SA.

Carter could take a **** like Jerry Collins and the Nzrfu will still kiss his a#@!. Even when he has a crap game everyone tongues the bum bum. Yep Conrad Smiths out on hamstring injury and Lukes got a smashed jaw lol and Carter might not be playing for the Cantabs this weekend so the Ranfurly looks safe in Wellington.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sir. Speedy @ Aug 24 2009, 05:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Aug 23 2009, 08:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Anyone else think the Bokke are one step beyond both teams?[/b]
Of course they are, but the AB's have no form at the moment; when they're on top of their game, they can rival SA.
[/b][/quote]

Surely that's the point, currently the Bokke are superior to both the ABs and the Wooblies. Doesn't mean it will continue into 2010. The Cartel have to blood some new players on the EOYT imho.

I think the most important factor you all seem to be overlooking here is that the Boomers bounced the Tall Blacks 84-77.

I don't think the All Blacks need to blood more players. We've got too many newcomers as it is. What we need is to give the squad we've got more and more game time until they are fully adapted to international rugby. Maybe we need a bit more cover in the centres, yet we still have Nonu, Smith, McAlister, Donald, Toeava and Ellison if need be, who can all fill in there. If we get really desperate there's always Mils.

First five-eight and halfback are the most worrying positions, but if Leonard can refind his form and fitness I think we have able cover for him. If we blood in new players, I'd like to see Brett, Bateman, Wilson and possibly Hayward. Once Waldrom returns to fitness I think we have the cover we need in the loose, especially when you throw Thomson and Messam into the mix. You've also got Victor Vito knocking on the door. Masaga and Gear also should get a better go of things imo.

Come 2011 I think the All Blacks will be 'peaking', as the relatively new group of guys we have right now will be more comfortable in the international arena. More inexperience isn't what we need imo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Aug 24 2009, 04:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think the All Blacks need to blood more players. We've got too many newcomers as it is. What we need is to give the squad we've got more and more game time until they are fully adapted to international rugby. Maybe we need a bit more cover in the centres, yet we still have Nonu, Smith, McAlister, Donald, Toeava and Ellison if need be, who can all fill in there. If we get really desperate there's always Mils.

First five-eight and halfback are the most worrying positions, but if Leonard can refind his form and fitness I think we have able cover for him. If we blood in new players, I'd like to see Brett, Bateman, Wilson and possibly Hayward. Once Waldrom returns to fitness I think we have the cover we need in the loose, especially when you throw Thomson and Messam into the mix. You've also got Victor Vito knocking on the door. Masaga and Gear also should get a better go of things imo.

Come 2011 I think the All Blacks will be 'peaking', as the relatively new group of guys we have right now will be more comfortable in the international arena. More inexperience isn't what we need imo.[/b]

Talking about blooding new players especially at 10, what about the form of Mike Delany who plays for the BOP? he's been magnificent!!

I haven't actually seen any BOP matches so far this year, but from the highlights I've seen of him and haven seen him in action in previous seasons, I'd have to agree he's a talented player. I've been really impressed by Wilson though. He's definitely going to be an All Black at some point imo.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Aug 24 2009, 02:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I don't think the All Blacks need to blood more players. We've got too many newcomers as it is. What we need is to give the squad we've got more and more game time until they are fully adapted to international rugby. Maybe we need a bit more cover in the centres, yet we still have Nonu, Smith, McAlister, Donald, Toeava and Ellison if need be, who can all fill in there. If we get really desperate there's always Mils.[/b]

To be perfectly honest that line-up isn't exactly inspiring me with confidence, though Dan might be the extra cog needed, but once again reliance on one player.

Have this feeling a few players are coasting at the moment rather than being pushed by up and comers. Where's the new injection of a game breaking back line runner. Are there no Christian Cullens currently in the ANZC?

This year reminds me of 2004. The only thing is, our team is still rebuilding two years later rather than one. It'll take a while until we feel confidence in our line-up I reckon.

I see Robbie Robinson and Aaron Cruden in the All Blacks at some point, maybe not till after the world cup though.

Apparently Smith and McAlister are out for the rest of the tournament after this game...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Aug 24 2009, 06:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
This year reminds me of 2004. The only thing is, our team is still rebuilding two years later rather than one. It'll take a while until we feel confidence in our line-up I reckon.[/b]
Interesting take - you reckon the ABs are on an RWC timeline, trying to correct the "peaked-too-soon" syndrome?

Is there anything you see in NZ that backs it up, makes it a deliberate strategy? Any grumbles from Henry? I guess he'd be very ****** off if he had to sacrifice today for the sake of tomorrow. Or was that the grand plan when he was kept on after the French defeat?

Questions. Lots.

I don't think that they are intentionally losing right now to prevent themselves from 'peaking'. However, I must say I'd prefer for them to peak say maybe next year, or in the early stages of 2011, as this would mean the decrease would not be as bad as it was in 2007. As someone put it (I think it was Eddie Jones, or maybe it was Bob Dwyer?), the All Blacks peaked in 2004 (against France) or in the second Lions' test. Personally, I think it was in the 2004 test, as I cannot recall a performance like it since. It has been the one test that has always stuck in my mind.

Still, the general feeling was that it was just sour grapes. Looking back on it now, I think he had a fair point (whoever it was).

There is nothing I see right now that backs it up, aside from God awful rugby and Henry's 'you get more out of a loss than a win' attitude. I think after the last WC he's weary of letting the New Zealand public in on his plans, as it can be scrutinised and can potentially come back to bite him in the bum (e.g the 'judge me on the World Cup' statement).

I don't think there is a grand plan as such, like there was last time around. Because at the end of the day, it doesn't come down to new techniques, it comes down to players doing what they're paid to do, play rugby, and making combinations work, which comes from the best team playing week in, week out. Hopefully, Henry has learnt from this mistake, and if anyone can, it's him. Currently, we're playing bad because players from our best team have been out injured or are out injured. We don't have the depth of 2005-2007, but that's because Henry hasn't been using the methods from those years by and large imo. When players are coming back injured, the combinations still aren't quite there, as they need to get used to playing again.

The fact of the matter is, that no matter what the Deans lovers say, Henry's average All Blacks are still beating his team at home after looking down and out with twenty minutes remaining in the match. I don't actually think Deans would be able to do a better job of it personally. Gatland maybe, but that's a couple of years in the making. We might be losing to South Africa in their own backyard, but our record over there has never actually been all that impressive. I still think we have what it takes to beat them in New Zealand this year.

So, no, I don't think there is any real grand plan, more a prolonged rebuilding phase, which I would prefer to peaking three years out from the World Cup and a slow decline. It helps that it's being played here, as the All Blacks' record at home as nothing to be poked fun at.

After the error ridden, bumble-fest of a game on the weekend a lot of people will have written of the Wallabies and All Blacks as Tri Nations threats… But I don’t reckon that they’re far off the mark. The Wallabies problems seem to be execution and composure related rather than personnel and game plan faults and that would indicate that they are on the right track, just not at they’re destination yet.

I don’t think you could say the same thing about New Zealand. They just don’t seem to have their combinations right at the moment and I think Henry is a bit lost. However they have got so much talent that they can still win test matches away from home (eg. last Saturday) and I think the added confidence from that win will make them a different team when they play the bokke.

South Africa is in the form of their lives at the moment and although they have had good home wins I doubt they have much improvement in them. With the pressure of away crowds on Morne and with out the pressure of home crowds on the ref they might find points aren’t as easy to come as they were in the republic. Australia and New Zealand will have to improve but that’s not out of the question and I don’t think its unreasonable to suggest that, if they do, South Africa could possibly lose all three away games thus throwing the competition wide open.

I will be in Australia's corner for the SA vs Australia test...I think we know why (hint: it has nothing to do with Australia).

Latest posts