• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Wallabies vs All Blacks @ Sydney

W

William18

Dan Carter has completed his return to the top ranks of rugby after being named in the All Blacks squad to take on the Wallabies in Sydney on Saturday.

The Canterbury first five has put in some commanding performances for his provincial side and looks likely to start against Robbie Deans' Wallabies at ANZ Stadium.

Wellington prop Neemia Tialata has been replaced by Wyatt Crockett while wing Joe Rokocoko may have saved himself from the axe following a powerful display in Auckland's win over Northland yesterday.

Piri Weepu has missed the squad after hobbling off the ground during the All Blacks' training session on Wednesday, while Wellington back Tamati Ellison remains with the squad as cover.

All Blacks squad: John Afoa, Daniel Carter, Jimmy Cowan, Wyatt Crockett, Aled de Malmanche, Stephen Donald, Jason Eaton, Owen Franks, Andrew Hore, Cory Jane, Jerome Kaino, Tanerau Latimer, Brendon Leonard, Luke McAlister, Richie McCaw, Mils Muliaina, Ma’a Nonu, Kieran Read, Josevata Rokocoko, Isaac Ross, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Conrad Smith, Rodney So’oialo, Brad Thorn, Tony Woodcock, Tamati Ellison.

The team to play Australia will be named on Tuesday.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/all-bla...-face-Wallabies

Confident, but not overly, 13 - 10 to the men in black in a display of aggressive Aussie kicking seldom seen outside an English match featuring Wilco.

Here are the two teams for the game on Saturday.

ALL BLACKS: 15 Mils Muliaina, 14 Joe Rokocoko, 13 Conrad Smith, 12 Luke McAlister, 11 Sitiveni Sivivatu, 10 Dan Carter, 9 Jimmy Cowan, 8 Kieran Read, 7 Richie McCaw, 6 Jerome Kaino, 5 Isaac Ross, 4 Brad Thorn, 3 Owen Franks, 2 Andrew Hore, 1 Tony Woodcock. Reserves: 16 Aled de Malmanche, 17 John Afoa, 18 Jason Eaton, 19 Rodney So'oialo, 20 Brendon Leonard, 21 Stephen Donald, 22 Ma'a Nonu.

WALLABIES: 15 James O'Connor, 14 Lachie Turner, 13 Adam Ashley-Cooper, 12 Berrick Barnes, 11 Drew Mitchell, 10 Matt Giteau, 9 Luke Burgess, 8 Richard Brown, 7 George Smith, 6 Rocky Elsom, 5 Nathan Sharpe, 4 James Horwill, 3 Al Baxter, 2 Stephen Moore, 1 Benn Robinson. Reserves: 16 Tatafu Polota-Nau, 17 Ben Alexander, 18 Dean Mumm, 19 David Pocock, 20 Will Genia, 21 Ryan Cross, 22 Peter Hynes.

A few interesting changes there..

I saw McAllister being brought in for Nonu and I think that it is a good change. Nonu just is not the kicking type of player which is who I think we need for the rest of this tournament with the style that is being played. Soalialo, I have never really liked. I didn't see it coming and wouldn't have made the change myself. However, I realise he has not been playing well and it is good to see form being rewarded. Kieran Read is a player who I really like and have mountains of respect for.

O'Connor is overrated. Maybe on the wing he would be much useful. Also Burges should have been dropped on the bench. Good to see McLister back, but also Rococo should have been dropped because he can't kick.

well the match it will be

I always say: it's great celebration day when these teams face off

Doesn't matter what squads and what generations

Wow. You got to feel for Cory Jane. He's done absolutely nothing wrong so far, yet Henry has basically dropped him for Rokocoko who has pretty much done nothing right. I really don't get that selection. He's dropped So'oialo and Nonu, neither of whom has played particularly well, and kept Rokocoko on who has easily been the worst of our wings this year.
I wouldn't mind so much, but there seems to be absolutely no consistency in the selection methods.

Whilst I would like to see McAlister play at 12 this week, he has been very poor for the ABs so far. I'm sure that's because 10 is not his best position, so to me McAlister/Nonu is a tough choice... As is Read/So'oialo. Franks/Tialata is more straightforward. A good call to drop Neemia. He has been by far the worst of the forwards. So those three are fair calls, but to me Jane should definitely be starting on the right wing. The fact that he's not even on the bench must gut him. Now just watch as Australia pin us in our corners and pressure either our lineout or woeful counter attack...

Carter is a great call. Even if he's not at his best, he will be probably the most composed player on the field, crucial in the 10 jersey, and we will benifit greatly from his decision making. He's not going to fix us though.
Hopefully we can at least hold our own in the lineout. Ross will be making better calls this week, but I still don't think he should be the one making them... It's not fair for a guy in his rookie season... He probably got a bit cocky after having a period of excellent form a couple of months back. The calls should go to someone more experienced in test rugby... Thorn or McCaw or whatever...

Anyway, looking forward to this game. I think Australia will win it.....

...Nah f*** it 21-19 to the ABs

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (wertas @ Aug 18 2009, 05:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
O'Connor is overrated. Maybe on the wing he would be much useful. Also Burges should have been dropped on the bench. Good to see McLister back, but also Rococo should have been dropped because he can't kick.[/b]

I feel you, Move Lachie Turner to Center, keep AAC at Fullback and put Hynes in at wing. or Put Lachie Turner to Fullback.

I don't know how to call it. I still think the All Blacks have it in them to win, but it's a tough ask. Will probably go to the Wallabies. Or Carter will amaze us all and single handedly win the game.

Carter and luke are gonna be too busy looking at eachother and commenting on their looks ugly ******** lol. It's about time they got Nonu out of there he wasn't doing much and the opposition know exactly what he's gonna do. I was suprised not to see Adam Thompson in there somewhere I thought he hadn't done his chances no harm and he was a hell of a nuisance when he played against Wellyz.

I hope Roks can find some form he usually plays cake in Anz Cup and average in Super14 than goes hard in the black jersey but for some reason he just hasn't fired yet.

A win for the All Blacks would be nice but I'd hate to see what everyone will say if we lose. I think if the Ozzies win we have to give them more credit instead of always saying we lost the game they didn't win it.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (kaftka @ Aug 18 2009, 10:59 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wow. You got to feel for Cory Jane. He's done absolutely nothing wrong so far, yet Henry has basically dropped him for Rokocoko who has pretty much done nothing right. I really don't get that selection. He's dropped So'oialo and Nonu, neither of whom has played particularly well, and kept Rokocoko on who has easily been the worst of our wings this year.
I wouldn't mind so much, but there seems to be absolutely no consistency in the selection methods.

Whilst I would like to see McAlister play at 12 this week, he has been very poor for the ABs so far. I'm sure that's because 10 is not his best position, so to me McAlister/Nonu is a tough choice... As is Read/So'oialo. Franks/Tialata is more straightforward. A good call to drop Neemia. He has been by far the worst of the forwards. So those three are fair calls, but to me Jane should definitely be starting on the right wing. The fact that he's not even on the bench must gut him. Now just watch as Australia pin us in our corners and pressure either our lineout or woeful counter attack...

Carter is a great call. Even if he's not at his best, he will be probably the most composed player on the field, crucial in the 10 jersey, and we will benifit greatly from his decision making. He's not going to fix us though.
Hopefully we can at least hold our own in the lineout. Ross will be making better calls this week, but I still don't think he should be the one making them... It's not fair for a guy in his rookie season... He probably got a bit cocky after having a period of excellent form a couple of months back. The calls should go to someone more experienced in test rugby... Thorn or McCaw or whatever...

Anyway, looking forward to this game. I think Australia will win it.....

...Nah f*** it 21-19 to the ABs[/b]
Jane is a tough one. I will admit that Rokocoko is out of form. However, is it right to replace an out of form winger with a guy who has played most of his rugby at full back. This year, against the French in the first test Jane was awesome. In his other All Black start he was pretty indifferent. I don't see why Jane should be picked on the wing when he is not a winger. I would look towards guys like Gear and Masaga to come into the team. Henry said he was impressed with Rokocoko on the weekend and I believe that contributed to him being retained.

Well, with the theory that Rokocoko plays better in the All Blacks jersey than anywhere else, I expect he will tear Australia to shreds. Or he could just carry on being rubbish.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Flux @ Aug 19 2009, 08:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Well, with the theory that Rokocoko plays better in the All Blacks jersey than anywhere else, I expect he will tear Australia to shreds. Or he could just carry on being rubbish.[/b]
That has generally happened in the past. I think that times may well be a bit different now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Aug 19 2009, 07:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jane is a tough one. I will admit that Rokocoko is out of form. However, is it right to replace an out of form winger with a guy who has played most of his rugby at full back. This year, against the French in the first test Jane was awesome. In his other All Black start he was pretty indifferent. I don't see why Jane should be picked on the wing when he is not a winger. I would look towards guys like Gear and Masaga to come into the team. Henry said he was impressed with Rokocoko on the weekend and I believe that contributed to him being retained.[/b]

Yeah, I'd take Gear over Rokocoko at the moment.

My theory about having Jane in there is that he is very handy on the wing. Whilst he is a natural fullback, having him in there on the right wing will help sure up our taking of the high ball, an area of weakness the boks exposed. Rokocoko was the worst culprit of the back three and the Wallabies will be keen to take advantage of that. Also, Jane imo has superior positioning and reading of the ball to help reduce their kicking options. He can cover corners very well...

The one thing Rokocoko does have going for him is the fact that if last weekend is anything to go by he will be very active in looking for work. However, if recent AB form is anything to go by, that may not be a good thing.

Good luck to him. There is nothing I'd rather see than Rokocoko back to his best... Except an AB win this weekend of course.

Jesus. No one seems to have mentioned that fact that

Rocky's back!

Your all fooked. Australia to win by 8.

Was about to say yeah. Rocky to pick carter up and drop kick him through the posts from 80 yards out. I mean look at him
6542.gif

Theres alot of players who can feel hard done by in the All Blacks. Corey Jane for one. But what about Gear and Tamati Ellison? they have both been in the form of their lives. Gear set a New Zealand provincial try scoring record last year, 14!.not Cullen, Lomu, Howlett, no one has scored that many in a season before. Then in the JABs this year he got 9 trys in 4 games!

But Rockococo f***s up all year, then scores 2 rather unimpressive tries against perennial celler dwellers Northland and its justification for a starting birth. What the hell?

Then McAllister, who has been f***ing dire all year gets the 12 jersey. he has literally done nothing good, in any jersey, all year. While the top Super 14 try scorer Nonu gets dropped for two barely below par performances. Last year the Carter-Nonu-Smith partership was dominant. why not give Nonu a chance to play outside of someone who doesnt suck.

And Messam getting dropped for one tackle while these dicks keep getting caps?

f*** this im a springbok supporter now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Aug 19 2009, 03:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Jesus. No one seems to have mentioned that fact that

Rocky's back!

Your all fooked. Australia to win by 8.[/b]

Not to be confused by Stallone's 75 year old charecter returning to fight in retaliation to the State reducing his pension.

What is in this coffee?

The Wallabies really should win this game. Of course the All Blacks will be more than competitive but Australian rugby really needs this, and I believe they have the better side.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (danger @ Aug 20 2009, 04:07 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Theres alot of players who can feel hard done by in the All Blacks. Corey Jane for one. But what about Gear and Tamati Ellison? they have both been in the form of their lives. Gear set a New Zealand provincial try scoring record last year, 14!.not Cullen, Lomu, Howlett, no one has scored that many in a season before. Then in the JABs this year he got 9 trys in 4 games!

But Rockococo f***s up all year, then scores 2 rather unimpressive tries against perennial celler dwellers Northland and its justification for a starting birth. What the hell?

Then McAllister, who has been f***ing dire all year gets the 12 jersey. he has literally done nothing good, in any jersey, all year. While the top Super 14 try scorer Nonu gets dropped for two barely below par performances. Last year the Carter-Nonu-Smith partership was dominant. why not give Nonu a chance to play outside of someone who doesnt suck.

And Messam getting dropped for one tackle while these dicks keep getting caps?

f*** this im a springbok supporter now.[/b]
I agree with you on the first part but not the bit about McAlister. McAlister was not picked because Nonu was out of form. McAlister was selected because he is the player to best carry out the All Black's game plan. It shows the All Blacks want to kick more and play for possession. I don't believe it has anything to do with form. It's about changing tactics. To win this tri nations you have to have a strong kicking game. That includes having at least two kicking options. Nonu should still play when it is appropriate to keep the ball in hand and play more attacking rugby.

Latest posts