• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tri Nations: Wallabies - Springboks @ ANZ Stadium, Sydney (23-07-2011, 11:00 GMT)

Hi all :) remeber my post "Why the All Blacks and Wallabies Will Rip the Boks to Pieces"? hahahahaha told you so! The useless Boks proved me right with everything! Pienaar and Steyn were one of the most useless half-back combinations I've ever witnessed, and the main attack comprised of Olivier running straight into the Australian defence. How can anyone in their right mind support a team like the Springboks? Rather go watch a sport like soccer where it's good to kick the ball and not tackle

Hi all :) remeber my post "Why the All Blacks and Wallabies Will Rip the Boks to Pieces"? hahahahaha told you so! The useless Boks proved me right with everything! Pienaar and Steyn were one of the most useless half-back combinations I've ever witnessed, and the main attack comprised of Olivier running straight into the Australian defence. How can anyone in their right mind support a team like the Springboks? Rather go watch a sport like soccer where it's good to kick the ball and not tackle
You did hear how many players they were missing, right? And that they really couldn't give a **** about this Australasian tour, yeah?

yeah, but the match with Samoa showed that the injection of reserves might ruin the well oiled mechanism the back line has. And since the WC is a long tournament I doubt they will remain intact in the latest stages.

The Wallabies have traditionally played poorly against weaker sides. While it was a surprise that they lost, the quality of their performance was not. Take into account that they didn't have their key players.

All that aisde, the Aussies always up their performance against the top tier, as we saw last night. They are also notorious for having a 'never-say-die' attitude which noone can rival and that goes for all sports, not just rugby.

The thing about this Wallaby side is that it's been 4 years in the making. Robbie Deans stripped it completly bare when he came onto the scene and he built it back up from scratch. Granted they're not at full speed yet but they're getting extremly close.

You did hear how many players they were missing, right? And that they really couldn't give a **** about this Australasian tour, yeah?

Yes but the things I pointed out all came true. Morne showed his uselessness and Smit showed his complete lack of attacking leadership. This upcoming RWC will NOT be won on defence, as rugby is a different sport then it was just 4 short years ago. It's all about attack now, and when you are lead by Smit and Peter de Villiers, wins are going to be hard to come by.

I pointed out that the crash-ball tactic and the up-and-unders will be a major factor in the Springboks most certain oncoming year of disaster. As I predicted, Pienaar, Steyn and Olivier messed up many opportunities for the Springboks on attack. I think all can agree that the "first choice" Springboks also would have lost yesterday. Genia and Cooper showed us what retards Pienaar and Steyn are. Kicking a box-kick down the opposition fullback's throat, contrary to popular belief, does NOT make you a "tactical kicker". It makes you an idiot that keeps giving away your teams possession. Genia and Cooper hardly kicked yesterday, and when the Aussies kick it's mostly low, far ones for the corner to gain territory.

Oz were also so much better at running, as they do little loops and run through gaps, where as the Springboks just think "Oh! Ek is (Afrikaans for I am) so tough! Ek kan (I can) run straight through everyone! Let me run straight at the defence because I'm so hardcore!" and then BANG! Either 5 metres lost or a knock-on.

This about sums up the game plan of SA rugby. How do you expect to win when you play like this?

Not an unexpected margin of defeat really.
Australia took their counter-attacking opportunities well which was essentially the difference in the end. The score would of been much worse I think if Deans didn't put subs on. He might be a bit worried that his team scored their last points in the 58th minute. I don't know if the Aussies were told to take their foot off the pedal or it was once again revealed how ineffective their subs are compared to their first team starters.
Cooper was wonderfully creative, but his error count was high. Although he had a number of unforced errors, I have a feeling Deans gave him full license to 'give it a go' this game. I'm pretty sure he would of tightened up his game if needed and we've seen that he has an educated boot as well.
Although there was a better sense of urgency and increased intensity, I felt the Aussies could of done more to impose themselves in the tight-loose. They are still vulnerable when they need to pitch up physically. A number of times we had them in an arm wrestle in the middle and they didn't quite front up, but focused on the occasional counter-ruck.

So my view on this game is that Aussie showcased their gameplan, and to be honest it has the same old holes. Although it can be debated they stopped trying around the 60th minute, minus the 2 breakaway tries the score would of been 25-20. The Boks were in shambles on defence. This picture explains it all:

Will-Genia-Australia-v-So-004.jpg

Smit 'tracking' Genia with a his tighthead (out of picture) on his inside doing the covering?!?!?!
Mass disorganisation was the Boks downfall. Disorganised in attacking rucks and defense. We would make very hard and laboured headway into the Aussie 22 and then get counter-rucked. Once again our ball protection is in the gutter! I've been saying it for years! FINALLY PdV took it into account in a post match interview. Thing is, it's not just a Bok problem, it's a South African problem. South African teams focus on the players in a ruck, not the ball. We're too worried about smashing the crap out of the players in a ruck. In general, our rucking technique in SA is poor. Has been so for awhile now.

Olivier is horrible, HORRIBLE. Our wings only ever saw the ball when it was broken play and Olivier was busy combing his hair somewhere! Sad thing is we looked very promising when the ball got some width. I think our back 3 did OK given what they had to handle.
If Lambie gets his place kicking up to scratch he will unseat Morne Steyn very quickly. Steyn is so very static on attack... He really is a modern day Gerald Bosch. Hoewever once again Steyn's boot gave our scoreline some respectability. Makes you got to wonder if the rumours that Butch James is ahead of the pecking order is true?

Last edited:
Looked like there were 4 props on the pitch.. Smith,Rossouw, CJ and Kruger. Back 3 were the only SA players that played decent. On a positive note Lambie did inject some pace in the SA game and looked good.

Last edited:
The problem is that players like Lambie (who give the Boks a new perspective) won't get a chance before or at the RWC. Same goes for Keegan Daniel. He can bring some great running to the Bok game, but at this stage, Deon Stegmann gets the opportunity at openside. It sucks!!!

Indeed, the selecting is odd to say the least. Not even having a player like S.Britz in your squad is just plain stupid.

Indeed, the selecting is odd to say the least. Not even having a player like S.Britz in your squad is just plain stupid.

Strongly disagree. Du Plessis, Smit, Fourie, and Liebenberg are all better players than Brits, as far as actually playing hooker goes.
It is indeed a shame that players like Lambie, and Viljoen won't have a chance this year. I'd even pick La Grange or Robert Ebersohn over Olivier.

Have you seen Britz playing this season and have you seen Smit playing this season? Britz was awesome the whole season, his scrum was solid as were his lineouts etc. His openfield running is unmatched by any hooker in the world, so is his work at the breakdown. Smit hasen't even been first choice for the sharks?

Have you seen Britz playing this season and have you seen Smit playing this season? Britz was awesome the whole season, his scrum was solid as were his lineouts etc. His openfield running is unmatched by any hooker in the world, so is his work at the breakdown. Smit hasen't even been first choice for the sharks?

I have seen him. Du Plessis is an outstanding hooker and possibly the best in the world at the moment. He is a much more physical player than Brits (not doubting Brits ability) and would probably suit the Springboks better currently.
I have also seen Smit playing this season, every week. No doubt he has faded, but I would still want him on the bench, due to his versatility. His appearances for the Sharks off the bench have been good for the most part (better than starting), and he could be an important figure in that role for the Springboks this year

I agree that Du Plessis suits the Springboks better at the moment, as for who is the better player I think Britz is better as he is such a complete rugby player and he is so versatile, played for the Stormers a couple of weeks ago as flanker and made an impact in the losing team. But to not take him at all? I think it's just plain stupid, he offers so much. Would have made more of an impact than Rossouw at 7 aswell.

If the Boks want to play a more expansive game then Brits would help. But they have a particular style of play that BDP is more suited to.

True, we have at least 5 hookers better than Schalk Brits when it comes to that specific position. Schalk Brits is a show-pony.

Schalk Brits is nowhere near as bad as SH fans seem to think
He's also not as good as a lot of NH fans think

Decent player, would be much more handy than Smit, but SA are set for Hookers and Backrows so don't really need him

Brits is not bad, but he is not better than hookers Bismarck du Plessis, Adriaan Strauss and Tiaan Liebenberg. With Deon Fourie, we have a similar option. A lot of pace, good running skills but, compared to Brits, he is a much better scrummager

More than the "it was obvious, but I told you so" 's and conclusions out of a second string bok side, I'm interested in what you guys think of the Wallabies' players. I couldn' watch the game, so I'd like your thought on a few things I read here and there.

- What would you be your pecking order in the locks now? Apparently Simmons did very well and Sharpie not so much.
- What about the backrowers? Is McCalman up to standard? Is Rocky back into fitness? Should Samo and Robinson be given more minutes in the 3N?
- What are the thoughts now on JOC/McCabe 12? (not in a "I told you so" mood, given that I expressed no opinion on the matter, I'm just like to see if anyone changed their mind)

Now, in the Boks, a thread on "why Pieter de Villiers is an idiot" would be more appropiate for it. But a few thoughts from the highlights I've seen (I repeat, I couldn't watch the game, so I may be getting a few things wrong, please correct if so):
- SA seemed to be defending from the inside and towards the outside. Why change a defense system that has been so successful in the past?
- I really like Aplon as a wing, but he seems to lack tackling to play FB (you may give half the responsibility to the irst defensive line, read above)
- Agreeing with what has been said before, it is plain stupid to have a gameplan based on giving away possession, especially when in the opposite team you have O'Connor, Beale, Ioane and QC for the returns.

If you wan't to watch it you can download the game at *LINK REMOVED*

I thought McCalman didn't show much, I'd be interested in playing Higgenbottom at 8? I thought Elsom improved alot compared to last match, and if he keeps on improving like this he should silence his critics. JOC is fine on the wing better than fine actually, I think thats his best position and he should stick to it. Haven't been impressed with McCabe but who else would the Wallabies play there? Giteau/Barnes, doesn't seem to fit into there gameplan.

Last edited by a moderator:
More than the "it was obvious, but I told you so" 's and conclusions out of a second string bok side, I'm interested in what you guys think of the Wallabies' players. I couldn' watch the game, so I'd like your thought on a few things I read here and there.

- What would you be your pecking order in the locks now? Apparently Simmons did very well and Sharpie not so much.
Ummm.... good question. I actually quite like the Simmons/Horwill combo, so would be tempted to stick with it. Sharpe didn't add much from the bench, but he is generally quite a strong ball runner, and could be a good impact player later in the game
- What about the backrowers? Is McCalman up to standard? Is Rocky back into fitness? Should Samo and Robinson be given more minutes in the 3N?
McCalman was again pretty quiet - he wasn't that bad, but he didn't really do a lot. Elsom was improved from the Samoan game, but is certainly a long way away from his best form. It wouldn't surprise me if Higginbotham starts the next game for Australia at 8, while I'm sure they will persist with Elsom in an attempt to get him up to speed by RWC time. I wouldn't pick Samo, but I do think they would be better off having Robinson on the bench rather than Hodgson.

- What are the thoughts now on JOC/McCabe 12? (not in a "I told you so" mood, given that I expressed no opinion on the matter, I'm just like to see if anyone changed their mind)
I thought both McCabe and JOC had strong games... I'm convinced McCabe at 12 and O'Connor at is the best way for Australia to go at the moment. McCabe's looked dangerous in attack (without making any clean linebreaks), and he certainly adds some solidity to the Australian midfield in defense. O'Connor looked great with space to room on the wing... he displayed some pretty superb handling skills in two of the Australian tries too. Australia certainly looks more dangerous on the conterattack too with O'Coonor on the wing, as he seems to assess the counterattacking options superbly.

Latest posts