• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Warriors sign Luke Rooney

B

Bullitt

More over-rated rubbish

Worcester Warriors are delighted to announce the signing of full back star Luke Rooney from French giants Toulon.
Rooney, who has won international honours for Australia at rugby league, is regarded as one of the hottest properties in the European game after excelling in the Top 14 in recent seasons.

The highly rated 26-year-old has signed a two-year contract that will see him move to Sixways Stadium this summer until at least 2012.

Rooney previously played rugby league for the Penrith Panthers in the National Rugby League and earned representative honours with City Origin, New South Wales and Australia. He made his Penrith debut in 2001 against the Canberra Raiders and was a member of the 2003 Premiership winning team, scoring two tries in the 18-6 win over the Sydney Roosters.

The flying back, who is an English qualified player through his parents, made the cross code switch and relocated to the south of France to play for Toulon in 2008. In his first season he played 16 games in the Top 14 and scored five tries, also playing six games in the European Challenge Cup.

"We're delighted to sign Luke Rooney and he is a big capture for us," said Director of Rugby Mike Ruddock.

"Luke is a very experienced player, currently playing for Toulon in the Top 14. He caught my eye with a man-of-the-match performance against Saracens in the Amlin Challenge Cup and when I looked at a number of other games in which he had played it became obvious he was an incredibly talented player.

"He was also man-of-the-match for Toulon this season against Castres and he has developed his game superbly whilst playing alongside the likes of Jonny Wilkinson in France.

"Luke is a big, strong full back with a massive left boot. He has a lot of top class rugby league international experience under his belt, having previously played rugby league for Australia and for New South Wales in the State of Origin tournament.

"He comes to us with an ambition to play rugby union for England, through his English parents, and I'm sure it won't be long before Martin Johnson will start looking at him."

Rooney has spoken of his delight at the move to England and the chance to play in the Guinness Premiership.

"I have been watching the competitive English league closely over the last few seasons - I'm really excited to now become a part of it," he said.

"I've really enjoyed my time in France with Toulon, both on and off the field, and would like to thank the fans and my team-mates for such a wonderful experience.

"The chance to switch to rugby union and test myself in a new environment has really seen my game move up to new level and I know that will only continue with Worcester Warriors.

"Looking around Sixways Stadium, it is clear how much ambition there is for this club to become one of the leading teams in Europe. I plan to play a big part in that while enjoying a new culture and lifestyle.

"My long term goal is to represent England; that has been a major motivating factor in my move to Warriors. I now look forward to making the move, getting out on the field and pulling on a Worcester jersey for the first time."

Well, fair enough. I've never seen him play, so I can't say how well he's adapted to union. But for a team like Worcester, he could be a useful signing. Anyone to have made the Australian backline is automatically one of the best footballers in the world in any code. If he gets some Union instincts along with it, he could be a hot property. If not, then he'll join the ranks of league converts who make decent premiership players but no more.

Should be a good signing, never seen him play, but like GG said, if he was a Roo then he's got some serious skills, hopefully they transferred over to union.

I have seen him.

He's big. He's got average pace. His 1st instinct is to kick. He has no sidestep. He can't tackle without a swinging forearm. Runs like a league player - Straight at the defender.

Perfect for Brian Smiths England backline...

Well that should settle it for everyone on tonights display; He's still crap.

Latest posts