• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership - If your club could sign one player who would it be and why?

fezhead

Academy Player
Club or Nation
Saracens
Just been arguing with friends over who we would like our respective clubs to sign if we could sign one player to really make a difference. As a Saracens supporter I would like to see Saracens sign a really class second row or a centre. I would like someone like Joe Launchberry or a Conrad Smith. I decided Joe Launchberry as I feel second row could be a position of real weakness next season with the departure of Borthwick. Hargreaves is brilliant, but I feel the likes of Kruis, Smith and Botha are limited.

Look forward to seeing your suggestions

Fezhead

For me Savea or Read.

Was goanna go with a 10 (cruden) but I think Williams is starting to look really good. with goneva going we need a strong finisher and we are desperate for a top 8.

...you mean this one?

2150123093.jpg

Thanks Rats, love it!

For Bath, think we could do with an 8 or scrum half. Faletau would be a hell of an acquisition, and not all too out there. Who wouldn't take Rory Kockott? A solid hooker like Ken Owens or second row like Charteris. Imagine him at Attwood; Dave playing like a few days back and Charteris on top form.

I would say Dan Carter, still the best player in the world when he plays and injury free would tear the premiership up!!

This is interesting, worcester could really do with a new fly half, Aaron Cruden would do the job nicely

As a saints fan if like a top class tight head or a top class 7. Other than that we have a really settled squad.

Love the idea that Borthwick is leaving just a massive void - such big shoes to fill.

As for Wasps, well, any scrum half who makes half decent decisions. Doesn't have to be a Will Genia - A ruan Pienaar would do me. Rory Kockott would be great.

For Wasps i'd like an absolutely Bulldozing number 8, or an out and out 7.

So i'd like us to sign Ben Morgan or Vunipola (should never have let him go) as a number 8.

Or as a 7, i'd like someone like Sam Cane or Michael Hooper - such a shame about Rees i really rated him and he's been a massive void to fill.

Launchbury or Etzebeth would be good. If it was a back then Frans Steyn would be amazing.

Imagine Launchbury and Etzebeth as a second row combination. It would have everything..

@ Good number 10 : Ashley used to be a full-time 8 and I'd be happy for him to go back there. Shove Haskell back to 6, then Michael Hooper at 7. Sam Jones for versatile bench cover. Job's a good un.

Imagine Launchbury and Etzebeth as a second row combination. It would have everything..

@ Good number 10 : Ashley used to be a full-time 8 and I'd be happy for him to go back there. Shove Haskell back to 6, then Michael Hooper at 7. Sam Jones for versatile bench cover. Job's a good un.

Haskell needs to cut a bit before he's a really good flanker IMO. Am I right in thinking, other than for a love of the gym, the reason he's got so big in recent years was to try and play at 8?

To me he just doesn't seem as mobile as he used to be.

Pretty much - Dallaglio was quite vocal about seeing him as a future 8 option. And I agree with you size-wise.

Saying that, he's come into some genuinely good from since returning from injury. Doing a bit of everything, and doing it well.

Pretty much - Dallaglio was quite vocal about seeing him as a future 8 option. And I agree with you size-wise.

Saying that, he's come into some genuinely good from since returning from injury. Doing a bit of everything, and doing it well.

Yeah he's looked sharp this season. I'd have him in the EPS over Johnson to be honest, but I think his time may be up a la Nick Easter.

Also, regarding Borthwick leaving a hole at Sarries. I'm pretty sure Itoje is going to fill that nicely...

I must say that I really liked the look of Haskell and thought that if he could improve his carrying, Wood-Robshaw-Haskell back row would have a great work rate, would tackle everything that moved. Okay in theory but probably is too slow for international rugby.
Also back on topic Wasps up front have been okay apart from carrying so I would go for a Alberts or maybe a Vermuelen.

Also, regarding Borthwick leaving a hole at Sarries. I'm pretty sure Itoje is going to fill that nicely...

Down the line, yes - but you can't expect a 19/20yr old to come in and replace the club captain on day one.
That's why it'd make sense to sign someone like Hamilton on a 2yr deal, while Itoje gets used to prem rugby, and Hamilton winds down his career.

Yeah he's looked sharp this season. I'd have him in the EPS over Johnson to be honest, but I think his time may be up a la Nick Easter.

Yeah I think the nail in his coffin was that penalty and sin binning last year against Ireland.

Coaches seem to rate the hask though. He's been the most ubiquitous name in the back row since returning from injury, despite the many good options we have in that department.

Latest posts