• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We Need To Talk About Wasps

Isn't that what happened in Huddersfield all those years ago....
I was going to say - that's called Rugby League.

As far as I'm aware, there's 1 seat at WR per nation; if the clubs want to go their own way, and split from the RFU, and take that seat at WR, they'd need to actually do so, convince at least half (more likely a supermajority) of English rugby clubs (that's not just the Prem, that's the 2,000 or so clubs out there) to ditch the RFU and start their own, with all systems in place (eg insurance, referees, school liasons etc etc, and then applying for membership of WR) - which seems a tad more complicated than calling an EGM and sacking the entire RFU board, and starting again from within the system.

If just a handful of clubs want to leave the RFU and set up on their own, then I guess they technically could - they just won't come under the World Rugby umbrella, and won't have anyone else to play with.
Trying to set up on their own AND still have access to everything World Rugby, would be like trying to Brexit, AND still have access to everything EU (except that instead of being 1 out of 27, it'd be 5 out a 270,000

Last edited:
calling an EGM and sacking the entire RFU board
You'd think this would be easier, but the RFU are pretty embedded and practically unaccountable.😄

The league point is very interesting given how well the NRL is doing, even Super League (and tiers below) after some years lagging is starting to pick up again.
Yeah who's going to go through all that just for Wasps?
Ealing would probably be top of that list, weren't they in talks with the URC prior? I don't think it's a coincidence that Sarries are the only club who have players awarded those hybrid contracts after being critical over the state of domestic game. Might have bought silence there. Then you have the likes of Exeter, Northampton et al who have also opposed the hamstring that is a reduced salary cap. Bristol in that too but throw in the frankly corrupt RFU academy system which would be an even bigger issue for them, given the catchment area and assigned schools. Would a phoenix London Irish or Worcester be interested in putting pressure on too? What happened to their premiership shares? Pretty much all of the RFU Championship are presently warring with RFU over a myriad of issues, certainly unhappy but would also be careful of biting the hand that feeds. A tipping point isn't out of the question?

A better question might be, "who stands to gain by going through all that?"... Obvious opposition would be the cozy club. There is an air of change and something has to give. Frankly this premiership season has been my least favourite (holistically) due to the even more scattered fixtures and wider issues affecting the sport.

Ealing had a look at merging with Ospreys according to the welsh press. If that is their way of trying to get into the URC then good luck to anyone else lol. Like has the URC actually approach any of the clubs that get mentioned or is it the SRU and WRU looking to try and get exiles a team? Everything I have heard is it's been SRU talking to London Scottish and WRU talking to a london club.

What alternative does the RFU championship have to make the tipping point though? The URC are not going to want to have them. The Prem clubs (Bristol inculding) won't want to be with them.

Can you source me the Saints cap comment because their CEO has said in a streamed fans forum that they don't even spend up to the cap. Let alone the et al part of it. I believe Gloucester, Falcons and Saints don't spend up to the cap going from various discussions in their members fan forums.
Also where is the Exeter comment opposing it?
and Bristol well Lam wants everything to try and justify his 7 year contract even if it means no cap so he can create the new pacific islanders side.

I have heard clubs talk about the challenges of the cap. But only one actively talking about it in a massively negative way.
Worcester and Irish don't even have the skeleton of a phoenix club let alone use it to put pressure on the RFU. (Edit Wasps give zero crap about Worcester given toying with the playing at sixways whilst stadium being rebuilt)

On league you have the NRL which is the biggest sporting compeition in Aus in terms of viewing figrues which helps in terms of funding, and the super league has a salary cap half the size of the prem. Show which one is it that Prem can look towards?

Last edited:
I believe Gloucester, Falcons and Saints don't spend up to the cap going from various discussions in their members fan forums.
All of which have been in talks with Saudi investors, the Saints thing could well have been included with that or with the squad size reduction thing and I've confused the two; I will try to search when I can be arsed because I was surprised too. Which is why it stuck on my mind. From the top of my head the list was; B*th, Bristol, Exeter, Saracens, Saints.
Lam wants everything to try and justify his 7 year contract
[Citation needed]

We do have Lansdown (Bristol owner) on record saying the league should have a salary cap though.

On league you have the NRL which is the biggest sporting compeition
I think that is the AFL, not NRL although I think State of Origin is the biggest sporting event for figures?

But only one actively talking about it in a massively negative way.
Leicester back along;

Leicester chief executive, Peter Wheeler, said. "We are pleased with how our gates have picked up but we are not selling out every week, as we did before. It will not be too long before we do. We can only spend on wages what the cap allows and that also goes for our academy. We are not the only club that feels the cap is more trouble than it is worth. It is costly to police and administering it takes a lot of time. The benefits of it are not definable..."

Another example;

"The Guinness Premiership has to decide where it wants to be as a league," said Leicester's head of operations, Simon Cohen. "Is it going to work to the lowest common denominator and be competitive? Or is it more important to compete in Europe and attract the world's best?

Also remembering when Steve Diamond called out Leicester for cheating the cap;

"But if we want to talk about cheating in the grammatical sense of the word, then let's look at the legitimacy of what we all spend.

"It's a legitimate concern and it's one that needs to be addressed.

"It's not in the power of other clubs to throw the accusation out. It's evident if you are in the business like I am and you know what players' earnings are.

"You can't put a round plug in a square hole but some clubs manage to do it. If I was an amateur magician even I couldn't do that.

"What it also does for those of us who play by the rules is it makes your jobs doubly difficult. I'd like the Leicester bosses and others to come and coach with the player resources that we have."

Yeah I was gonna say both aren't at the club anymore

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2...putation-of-the-premiership-says-bristols-lam

Basically everything you mentioned has mainly been mentioned by Lam, and you are trying to spin like it's a league thing.

Find me the saints thing, but considering that Saudi thing wasn't from any official sources and that saints don't spend up to the cap you will be hard pushed to find anything backing getting rid of it.

Also from what I gather AFL get higher attendances but NRL viewing figures

Last edited:
Exeter have claimed they're £1.9m under cap and have had well publicised issues with their finances recently so no way they want it increased.

They're pretty happy nabbing all the welsh academy boys they can on the cheap.

Exeter have claimed they're £1.9m under cap and have had well publicised issues with their finances recently so no way they want it increased.

They're pretty happy nabbing all the welsh academy boys they can on the cheap.
Exeter spoke out against the cap reduction on may occasions and were one of the clubs who voted against the lowering of the salary cap. I can definitely believe Exeter are a little under the cap but not to the tune of roughly £2,000,000.

Exeter spoke out against the cap reduction on may occasions and were one of the clubs who voted against the lowering of the salary cap. I can definitely believe Exeter are a little under the cap but not to the tune of roughly £2,000,000.
Again think you're working on old information. Recently they're deffo not strongly for raising it. Baxter has previous with changing his mind on stuff (see his different comments on 10 team league)

I don't believe that for a second tbh,
They may well be under but near enough 50% under?

I know they lost a lot of their big names but nah
I'm not sure on it myself, but could be that's with all the extras on top of the cap as well?

Vintcent was still delivering pizzas apparently so must be paying peanuts!

Latest posts