• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We Need to talk about Worcester

Gotta imagine that they can't, otherwise, like you said, it's an easy way to claw back 6 figures per season
Redundancy pay (pay out the rest of his contract?) or something like that

Yep but they know he would get picked up elsewhere and really if Racing are interested then that will be good money so they would only have to pay the difference.

Yep but they know he would get picked up elsewhere and really if Racing are interested then that will be good money so they would only have to pay the difference.
Would Racing(/anyone) be interested enough to pay £800k (plus salary) though?
The article I read said they were after him as a medical joker

Edit: Actually I guess the negotiations start at "Pay the rest of his contract" but if Worcester really want to save the salary it could end at "A multipack of wotsits and whatever loose change you've got down the back of the couch"

Last edited:
Gotta imagine that they can't, otherwise, like you said, it's an easy way to claw back 6 figures per season
Redundancy pay (pay out the rest of his contract?) or something like that
Well, they CAN; it just isn't necessarily easy.

Unfortunately, Bath have done this several times since Bruce took over:
Send him out on loan, and Wuss still pay his salary (outside the cap), but the loan club essentially rents him from Wuss (so they negotiate how much they're willing to pay to Worcester - this will be difficult at the moment, given the lack of faith around Worcester's finances).
Find him a new club (assuming he agrees) and he can transfer away; might even get a transfer fee, (again common knowledge around finances would make that hard to demand). Finding him a new club "just" means that Wuss are liable for any shortfall in earnings between his existing, and his new contract.

ETA: Sorry, beaten to it - hadn't noticed the new page.

Diamond comes off as a prick from the quotes I've seen. He just throws it out there that other clubs are struggling. We've seen Wasps struggle but they've obviously refinanced given the past week. I haven't seen any indication that the financial issues at Worcester have permeated to other clubs. He also said something along the lines of rugby players needing to realize they are not footballers. Did any rugby players think they were? Is he just throwing straw men and speculations out there so anyone but the owners take the blame.

Meh, I'm biased cause I love Dimes, but is what he says wrong?

I think there's only two (three?) clubs that's break even - so if any sugar daddy loses interest then those clubs are dead in the water

I've said the same thing about rugby wages in the past too - the clubs with incredibly rich sugar daddies inflate the sustainable level of wages.
Players look at Piutau on £1m a season and think "I've won a world cup, I should be on that too"
Rugbys an incredibly niche sport and the wages aren't reflecting that these days (hence 10-11/13 losing money every season)

but does any player actually think they should be earning footballer wages?

There might be a couple delusional ones but no one of a sound mind thinks that rugby players and football players can make similar wages.

The same thing can be said about football when it comes to wages. The teams with state sponsorship are able to spend more than the other clubs. The other clubs don't have to match their spending and most choose not to. But for some reason in rugby clubs act like there is a gun pointed at their head and it isn't their fault they signed contracts that they aren't good for.

I think football wages is hyperbole but there's definitely an issue of players/agents pushing for higher and higher wages

True but the lower level clubs will pay over the odds to try and keep up with the artificially inflated wages elsewhere to try and stay competitive

In an ideal world they would spend within their means but in reality that's not going to happen

There's rumblings locally of a player strike.
They've just lost all faith in the owners, who apparently have asked players to pay for their own food and kit - whilst still not having been paid.

Also hearing rumblings that the Diamond is losing the players, they seem to think he's taking the owners' words as gospel, and feel he should be more on their side.

I have no idea how accurate these rumours are.

Last edited:
Dimes record at Sale is he tends to like to talk too much imo

Dude would say so much to the press which turned out to be BS in the end.

Latest posts