• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Week 3: Springboks vs All Blacks - Round 2

I ended up cheering for the ref. He was spot on with pretty much everything.

"Pretty much" because nobody has picked up on 'The Beast' boaring in during 90% of opposing scrums yet. I wa shoping he'd be the one, but there you go.

He doesn't seem to stop. How much longer does this guy have?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (steynboi @ Aug 1 2009, 08:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Aug 1 2009, 06:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Aug 2 2009, 05:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Because they played against the best team in the world...[/b]

These errors were unforced you idiot,.. They dropped ball cold. Doesn't matter who they are playing.
[/b][/quote]

jealousy runs through your viens as SPRINGBOKS are the best team in the world officially now. we owned you... x2.
[/b][/quote]

Abs get beat by 12 points and we are OWNED... Nice to feel the respect. When we nilled you last year by 19, what was that? Owned, mortaged and handed back to the bank!

Stil you guys played well and we played like crap. but remember when we play well and you play like crap there is generally a much bigger hiding in store. There is not too much required for the ABs to come right and we will keep having additions coming back into the squad over the next year so stocks will be filled.

But one close eye on the Bokke...

when we say beating you guys by 12 points is us OWNING your asses, it shows the respect we have for the ABs, you rarely beat the old foe by a margin like that, you should feel honored that we're going on about it like this.

but watching the matches the previous two weekends I did start to get this feeling, a feeling that perhaps after the dip in performance and consistency the boks took after the start of the Professional era we've finally turned it around and are being as dominant as we've always been pre isolation. One thing is for sure, we've definitely been excellent world cup holders thus far, 2 years in and we've beaten the ABs at home, beaten them twice in a row, won the Lions series, gone unbeaten in the Autumn internationals, retained our #1 ranking and are current 7s world series holders.

I wonder if the boks can keep the same winning record on the road... We know how hard that is for any team

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Aug 4 2009, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
when we say beating you guys by 12 points is us OWNING your asses, it shows the respect we have for the ABs, you rarely beat the old foe by a margin like that, you should feel honored that we're going on about it like this.

but watching the matches the previous two weekends I did start to get this feeling, a feeling that perhaps after the dip in performance and consistency the boks took after the start of the Professional era we've finally turned it around and are being as dominant as we've always been pre isolation. One thing is for sure, we've definitely been excellent world cup holders thus far, 2 years in and we've beaten the ABs at home, beaten them twice in a row, won the Lions series, gone unbeaten in the Autumn internationals, retained our #1 ranking and are current 7s world series holders.[/b]

This has "loss against France in November" written all over it ... :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Aug 4 2009, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

but watching the matches the previous two weekends I did start to get this feeling, a feeling that perhaps after the dip in performance and consistency the boks took after the start of the Professional era we've finally turned it around and are being as dominant as we've always been pre isolation. One thing is for sure, we've definitely been excellent world cup holders thus far, 2 years in and we've beaten the ABs at home, beaten them twice in a row, won the Lions series, gone unbeaten in the Autumn internationals, retained our #1 ranking and are current 7s world series holders.[/b]
You missed out on S14 holders.

Ok, good for you guys for becoming #1 ranked team in the world, however the mistakes were bad and obvious, but hardly unfixable. The mistakes were common and really poor, but I can't see them remaining with the All Blacks for too much longer. The bad streak we have had this year, people seem to be making it out like it is the end. I would much rather get the mistakes out of the way now and corrected, even at the expense of the Tri Nations and IRB #1 Ranking, then make the mistakes at the RWC 2011 quater finals. As far as I'm concerned SA can hold onto the ranking, and possibly the Tri Nations up until the RWC. And while I hate to sound like a bad loser, did SA really impress anyone that much in the games? I mean they put in a solid effort no doubt, but I think if NZ get back to full form, then the performance that SA put forward will not be enough. I for one have seen SA play better to be honest, and this "golden era" that some people believe SA to be in isn't amazing me, because while I can appreciate the individual skills of the players, as a team they just don't seem to be THAT dangerous.

Anyway that is me. Well done South Afrika and I hope you enjoy the #1 ranking and Tri Nations ***le while it lasts (unless Australia win it...yeah right).

When New Zealand had guys like Cullen, Lomu, Merthens, Wilson, Marshall etc etc, it was their golden era. They were unstoppable. South Africa always got hammered by New Zealand. Every year we were thrashed.

When Australia had Latham, Larkham, Eals, Gregan, Tune and Horan etc etc it was their golden era. They were also an incredibly good side, who thoroughly deserved their WC in 19999.

But now, it's our turn. We had enough of Streuli, and every Tom, Dick and Harry becoming a Springbok. So much political interference and negative image of our country had an incredible impact on our game. Finally, we are seeing our senior players in their prime, with a star-studded team, as every position is filled by the best we have.

John Smit, Botha, Matfield, Beast, Spies, both Steyns, Fourie, Pienaar, Habana, Du Preez... Now is our time to shine. We are finally the best in the world, and if this keeps going, I heve no doubt that this team can become one of the best we have ever had in Springbok rugby history.

The fact that we just won a Lions series, and 2 test against the All Blacks, even though we didn't play as well as this team should, should scare the crap out of anyone. Let us bask in our spotlight...

So after this game can anyone explain to me why Morne Steyn did not start all tests vs the Lions and the first TriNations game? What was PdV thinking?

Because Peinaar has a better pass, he's more defensively reliable and I think he's better at kicking out of hand.

Steyn has a more reliable boot and he's good at drop-goials but if F. Steyn would do the place-kicking duties I'd still have Peinaar starting because you can't rely on every team conceeding 9 kickable penalties in every match.

People wouldn't be singing Morne's praise if New Zealand poorly discipline this week hadn't handed him 24 points and if he'd made a defensive slip like he did the week before for the Conrad Smith try.

That said though, he deserves his space for the next match based on the last match.

What Monkeypidgeon said, although Morne Steyn showed a lot of promise with kicks out of hand in this game.

Well for a Kiwi - 2 pretty disappointing performances. Hats off to the Boks, Well done.

To be fair I am not overly worried about the ABs. They still managed to put 20 points on the worlds best team, with abysmal ball skills, no line out, no game plan.... Just remember it can take a matter of just a couple of games to make things click and when we are firing on all cylinders we will be back to giving everyone a run for their money.

In saying this - can well expect to right off the Tri-nations, best hope to retain teh Bledisloe, but may as well use the rest of the year to get back to basics and build a squad of 30, and allow the 5 standout NPC/S14 players in the squad for next year.

Our biggest fault (after letting Deans go) is allowing players to play into form. Safe bet to let Ritchie or Dan do this, but not the likes of Roko. Hes been crap for well over a year, and we have had better options kept out of the team. Henry only looks to S14 options when he has to. If the old guard are not injured - he doesn't replace them regardless of their form!! Crazy! Perhaps Henry treats the players to much like he wants the NZ public to treat him. Not saying he hasn't been outstanding, but everything has a cycle, and I just think we need fresh ideas and a new approach. A lesson we could learn from the Boks. I was laughing when De Villars took over and was shouting his mouth off (As Im sure alot if Bok fans were crying!) but perhaps this change was required after Jake Whites run, not cos Jake was crap, but because they all have 3-5 year cycles.

I guess 2 years out we are now stuck with Henry - Cant really think of any contenders unless Gatland lured back, Can you?

Maybe I should be worried, the more I think about it, I think the NZRU, the Coaches, Out of form Players all need a clean out. Perhaps we are in for a bigger job than we thought 2 years out from a RWC....

While i don't think Rokocoko's season has been anything special, he is still the 3rd highest try scorer in the S14? Scoring 5-6 tries this season, which has been his consistant try scoring output most of his career. His international season hasn't been great, but the amount of pressure the media and the public has placed on Rokocoko, I can understand why he would run the ball inside his own goal, because people wanted to see the flashy, amazing rocket man in action, that put him where he is. Had he been successful and scored a solo try from there, which I don't think was out of his depth seeing the amount of free space, people would have sung his applause, however he took a gamble and lost, and now people seem to want his head. It just seems a little bit unfair. I think Roko should take the rest of the Tri Nations off and relax and get back to form with the Air New Zealand Cup, and maybe make the end of year toar. He is still only 25 or 26 right? I mean Hosea Gear and cory jane are both at that age now, with far fewer tests, I think Rokocoko has plenty of time to make a come back.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Aug 2 2009, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Too many errors and penalties given away. South Africa are simply the better team right now. As soon as we were behind in that game it never seemed like we would be able to go back in front. South Africa should dispatch Australia next week and all but take out the tri nations.[/b]

Remembering the Bokke would have played all their home matches with the Aussies having a pretty good second half in terms of Home and away. As ever points away the crucial thing, the ABs in deep doggy doo with zero points out of Africa. Still we should have enough to bounce the Aussies once more and retain the Bledisloe.

Congrats to the Saffas, way too much pressure brought against a misfiring AB outfit.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nickdnz @ Aug 4 2009, 09:37 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
And while I hate to sound like a bad loser, did SA really impress anyone that much in the games? I mean they put in a solid effort no doubt, but I think if NZ get back to full form, then the performance that SA put forward will not be enough. I for one have seen SA play better to be honest, and this "golden era" that some people believe SA to be in isn't amazing me, because while I can appreciate the individual skills of the players, as a team they just don't seem to be THAT dangerous.

Anyway that is me. Well done South Afrika and I hope you enjoy the #1 ranking and Tri Nations ***le while it lasts (unless Australia win it...yeah right).[/b]

+1

For all the talks of boring NH 10 man rugby, I have to say that the tri nations has so far been the very example of boring rugby. I can not even imagine what would be the comments if England won with 9 penalty goals and a try.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Aug 5 2009, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
For all the talks of boring NH 10 man rugby, I have to say that the tri nations has so far been the very example of boring rugby. I can not even imagine what would be the comments if England won with 9 penalty goals and a try.[/b]

Not our fault you lazy NH boys didn't want our fast paced ELV's is it now?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 5 2009, 08:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Charles @ Aug 5 2009, 09:10 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
For all the talks of boring NH 10 man rugby, I have to say that the tri nations has so far been the very example of boring rugby. I can not even imagine what would be the comments if England won with 9 penalty goals and a try.[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Care to explain the link between the ELV's and Morne Steyn kicking almost every ball he gets ? As far as I know there's no rule preventing the inside center getting the ball and passing it out wide.

We hear about the magical pairing of JDV and Fourie yet they've hardly got the ball and when they do they basically jut bash it up the middle. Now that's ok, but then don't blame the NH for playing 10 man rugby when that's exactly what you are doing.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 5 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]

Most of the ELVs have been adopted, haven't they? I guess what you meant refered to the replacement of the penalties by free kicks for most of the offences in rucks but off-side which is in the end the only one "major" ELV that has not been retained in the end.

Regarding the style of Rugby played during the SA-NZ test matches I think this is mainly the result of the domination of the contest by the Boks who have never been really big fans of the running Rugby but in some interception cases which became more frequent with the kind of rush defense they have adopted. SA led at the score board and NZ fumbled most of the few balls they were left by the SA forwards. SA played some conservative Rugby to maintain their advance. 3N Rugby anyway has been quite different from S14 Rugby for some years.

The Tests versus the Lions were more attractive in my view especially the second test because SA were behind most of the game, they showed then that they can run the ball if necessary. This second test remains the best match of this season.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
but then don't blame the NH for playing 10 man rugby when that's exactly what you are doing.[/b]

Now you just wanted to start a ruckus didn't you ?

I'm pretty sure we all conceded that the Lions had an impressive running game with their backs this year, go troll for an argument somewhere else.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (DonBilly @ Aug 5 2009, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Aug 5 2009, 09:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

Most of the ELVs have been adopted, haven't they? I guess what you meant refered to the replacement of the penalties by free kicks for most of the offences in rucks but off-side which is in the end the only one "major" ELV that has not been retained in the end.

Regarding the style of Rugby played during the SA-NZ test matches I think this is mainly the result of the domination of the contest by the Boks who have never been really big fans of the running Rugby but in some interception cases which became more frequent with the kind of rush defense they have adopted. SA led at the score board and NZ fumbled most of the few balls they were left by the SA forwards. SA played some conservative Rugby to maintain their advance. 3N Rugby anyway has been quite different from S14 Rugby for some years.

The Tests versus the Lions were more attractive in my view especially the second test because SA were behind most of the game, they showed then that they can run the ball if necessary. This second test remains the best match of this season.
[/b][/quote]

I have to agree to most of dons points here. However the Tri-nations is played a frenetic pace while the rucks are heavily contested. That is why it is not as attractive as the super 14 for instance. It is in these areas that the NH lags behind their SH brothers.

Alot of games in the 6 nations are not exactly spectacles either. They are also played at a slower pace with less intesity at ruck time(this is changing slowly).

SA have never been a good running side but that is the beauty of rugby that it is not the same style adopted by all teams.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Aug 5 2009, 10:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
but then don't blame the NH for playing 10 man rugby when that's exactly what you are doing.[/b]

Now you just wanted to start a ruckus didn't you ?

I'm pretty sure we all conceded that the Lions had an impressive running game with their backs this year, go troll for an argument somewhere else.

[/b][/quote]

:D Peace man. Sorry If I came across as a troll. Just telling my opinion about the 3N this year, in regard of the way NH rugby is often portrayed by our antipodean friends.

Btw France-Sa is gonna be fun this november in Toulouse...

Latest posts