• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Weight Training

Erm...i thought it was circa 1.2 to 1.4 grams of Protein per Kilogram for endurance, circa 1.4 to 1.8 for muscle mass increase? not per pound..

175 grams of protein would be a MASSIVE amount and difficult to attain - not that extra (healthy) protein is that harmful for the body, but as Steve-o said, even water in excess is harmful - dilutes the salts in the brain and causes it to swell and kill you.

i'm 191lbs and try to get up to the 150s of protein when i'm weight training - otherwise i keep it to about 113.

Seems to be working fine for me - no muscle wasteage or anything like that..

Also, just for the record the unhealthiest topic on this thread is the fact that you want to lose 30-40 lbs in 40 days....madness!

You only have to give up one thing for Lent - give up kitten punching like me!! :) - very nasty habit
[/b]

Hello :)

The actual procedure for determining minimum grams of daily protein requirements is:

your lean bodyweight (i.e. bodyweight - fat percentage) x 0.5 for sedentary peeps - 1 for weight trainers. this gives the absolute MINIMUM you must take in to avoid a catabolic effect.

If this guy is wanting to lose weight in 40 days - safest amount of fat to loose would be 12lbs. This would be a safe amount and keep his lean muscle mass.

A very effective system is the 1-2-3 ratio. 1 part fat, 2 parts protein, 3 parts carbs.

So, lets say his goal is 180 - 12 = 168lbs, his calorific intake should be approx 2827 which means 471cal fat, 942 cal protein, 1413 cals carbs which works out as 52g fat, 235g protein and 353g carbs. (most of which should be complex carbs)

This may seem alot but eating 5 meals a day breaks this up into 10.4g fat, 47g protein, 70g carbs which is like eating:

1 tin of tuna fish
1/2 avocado
1 cup/160g cooked white rice
Most meals that you consume really should be balanced in this way. Those exceptions are post and pre training.

If you would like me to do a nutrient breakdown for yourself stevemagoo I would be happy to :)
I think that you will be quite shocked at the benefits of getting in the correct amount of macronutrients. :)

Nutrioutlet
CPT, Professional Nutrition and Supplement advisor for Nutrioutlet.com

Agree with you 100% there Nutrioutlet..

If he is trying to cut weight he wants to maintain a super lean diet in order to maintain his muscle.

And really, whats with all this nonsense im hearing about protein shakes in previous posts from some members? Honestly a supplement isn't going to kill you, it just aids you to reach your daily protein requirements. Of course everyone knows the best source of protein is through foods but supplements arent going to kill you especially not the whey protein.

Great foods that are high in proteins that i highly reccomend are:
Beans
Chicken (so lean! 4g gives you loads of protein!!)
Lentil Soup (low calorie/fat with a really good amount of protein!)
Lima Beans

Also make sure your carbs are complex ones, stay away from that white bread ****, switch it to whole wheat!

And also, if you are going to be lifting weights in addition to your protein, try to drink plenty of water! Water is as important to your muscles as protein, so try to get a good combination of both!! From personal experience drinking plenty of water has helped me produce great gains!

Beans
Lima Beans [/b]

Sorry for such a small post, but I'd also like to add Cottage Cheese to the list. I love the stuff, and its extremely high on protein, and low on fats. Im not pro on weight lifting, but I think its pretty good. Anyone else eat it?

Cottage Cheese is awesome. It has cassein protein which is slow digesting so it's good to eat at night so that your body will have some protein in it for most of the night

If you would like me to do a nutrient breakdown for yourself stevemagoo I would be happy to :)
I think that you will be quite shocked at the benefits of getting in the correct amount of macronutrients. :)
[/b]

Hehe - No thanks, but thank's for the offer - i may well be using your knowledge when i start training for the front cover of mens health :D

I agree about the cottage cheese - just wish i liked the stuff.

Same with eggs, wish i liked them, tried every variation - boiled, fried, poached, scrambled but the only way i can get them in is blended up in OJ!

<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

Hehe - No thanks, but thank's for the offer - i may well be using your knowledge when i start training for the front cover of mens health :D

I agree about the cottage cheese - just wish i liked the stuff.

Same with eggs, wish i liked them, tried every variation - boiled, fried, poached, scrambled but the only way i can get them in is blended up in OJ!
[/b][/quote]

Haha! Righty ho!

Nutrioutlet

<div class='quotemain'>

Beans
Lima Beans [/b]

Sorry for such a small post, but I'd also like to add Cottage Cheese to the list. I love the stuff, and its extremely high on protein, and low on fats. Im not pro on weight lifting, but I think its pretty good. Anyone else eat it?

[/b][/quote]

Yep that is another great food choice! Especially if you eat it before bed the protein in it does not break down as quickly as whey therefor it will help promote healthy muscle rebuilding throughout the night!

tuna_feeds.jpg

I think we left that one out. Great source of protein. It's inexpensive as well. Plus the fats in it are excellent for you.</span>

yepp fish to!!

i hate fish myself, but its huge protein low fat great oils and low calorie, a must!!

Fish is amazing, one of my favourite foods.
I also take Cod Liver Oil everyday, to help your joints and (allegedly) with your brain power.

But I'm sure some people will criticise me for taking that as it is a supplement, of course...there's just no way it could be good for me. <_<

I don't think anyone will criticise you for anything other than the fact cod liver oil tastes like shite.

Personally I favour prawns. I'm not into the whole training regime (far too lazy), but I will genuinely often snack on a packet of prawns. Great taste, low fat and all the oily goodness of fish. I'm just waiting for someone to contradict me on how bad they actually are for you now...

I was just having a spiteful jab at those who scoff at the idea of a supplement benefitting you in some way.

And no, i'm not gonna have a go at you for snacking on prawns. Brilliant idea. At 4pm, every day in work, if i'm not eating a soup with some meat then i'm snacking on prawns with some wholemeal bread.
Mmm mmm!

Fish is amazing, one of my favourite foods.
I also take Cod Liver Oil everyday, to help your joints and (allegedly) with your brain power.

But I'm sure some people will criticise me for taking that as it is a supplement, of course...there's just no way it could be good for me. <_<
[/b]

You should punch someone in the face if they say that, cod liver oil helps loads of people prevent and fight joint pain, supplement my arse.

On that note, I want to know how to get thick arms. Any advice?

<div class='quotemain'> Fish is amazing, one of my favourite foods.

[/b]

You should punch someone in the face if they say that, cod liver oil helps loads of people prevent and fight joint pain, supplement my arse.

On that note, I want to know how to get thick arms. Any advice?
[/b][/quote]
Just do a Chris Benoit. Make sure you don't get r-r-r-r-roid rage though.

If you are serious, plan on training seriously, and plan on being competitive, supplementation is a must. I'm not talking steroids, BUT there is no way to get around the bennifits of whey protein shakes and products like creatine and a few others. Creatine you have to watch and cycle on and off, but it will make a huge difference, it isn't illegal (nor should it be, it helps to volumise and aid in muscle recovery...it doesn't f about with your hormones). Whey protein is just flippin' essential. You need as much clean, good protein as you can get.

I train my lats seven days a week. Really helps with the base jumping, I also want to star in the next batman movie.

dave%20lats%20lg.jpg

omg Maccaweeny that guy's nipple muscle is bigger than his willy ugh

Anyway.. bigger arms = arm weights surprisingly.

And..... every supplement has been criticised so unless there's proof ignore it.

Latest posts