• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welcome to the new forum software!

Would the techs like to investigate why this gif file won't display in the forum?

Other gifs works fine, and this gif works fine on other forums

Closing%20the%20gap.gif

You can see it in the edit window, but it shows a broken link image in the preview window and when its posted.

You can also see it when you edit or quote the post.

This is strange behaviour

Would the techs like to investigate why this gif file won't display in the forum?

Closing-the-gap.gif

You can see it in the edit window, but it shows a broken link image in the preview window and when its posted.

testing

Last edited:
Anyone know where on the site I can find the RSS Feed for new posts?

Closing%20the%20gap.gif

You can also see it when you edit or quote the post.

This is strange behaviour

It appears that the image URL is getting urlencoded twice, which is why if you view the source, you will see that the spaces (%20) have been converted to %2520 (i.e. the percent symbol is encoded too) which is why it's returning a 404.

I'd have thought that there should be a simple fix for this - it can't be the first time the problem has occurred. In the mean time, avoid using spaces in the URLs of images you're embedding. This is good practice generally and would have avoided this problem in the first place.

Further to the above we're looking into the issue with that gif - I've adjusted a couple of settings but it may be down to the size of the gif itself.

Further to the above we're looking into the issue with that gif - I've adjusted a couple of settings but it may be down to the size of the gif itself.

If size is a problem, why is it displaying fine in the edit window?

Irrespective of size, the image isn't going to display if the forum software has mangled the URL so that it points to something that doesn't exist!

Last edited:
It appears that the image URL is getting urlencoded twice, which is why if you view the source, you will see that the spaces (%20) have been converted to %2520 (i.e. the percent symbol is encoded too) which is why it's returning a 404.

I'd have thought that there should be a simple fix for this - it can't be the first time the problem has occurred. In the mean time, avoid using spaces in the URLs of images you're embedding. This is good practice generally and would have avoided this problem in the first place.

Hah, fixed it, thank you

I renamed the file using hyphens instead of spaces, then relinked the renamed file in my Dropbox....Bingo

Closing-the-gap.gif

See above, clearly nothing to do with file size. Now the space is no longer being url encoded twice turning what should be %20 into %2520, the image renders properly.

No problem smartcooky. Was the RSS URL what you were looking for BTW? Looking at that lineout, it's ironic that the problem was caused by gaps! :p

See above, clearly nothing to do with file size. Now the space is no longer being url encoded twice turning what should be %20 into %2520, the image renders properly.

No problem smartcooky. Was the RSS URL what you were looking for BTW? Looking at that lineout, it's ironic that the problem was caused by gaps! :p

Yep. I am surprised they don't have an RSS icon somewhere in the home page. I'm sure the old forum used to.

Gaps! Yes! Well spotted!

Yep. I am surprised they don't have an RSS icon somewhere in the home page. I'm sure the old forum used to.

Gaps! Yes! Well spotted!

Not that I've ever used an RSS aggregator (something I've always meant to get around to setting up and never got around to), but I'd have thought that it's pretty standard to have the little orange RSS icon somewhere in the footer of the page. The capability is obviously there, so I guess it's just this particular template that doesn't feature it.

If you're ever stuck elsewhere, just right click the page and select view source, then hit CTRL+F (find) and type rss. This should take you to the bit in the source of the page that links to the RSS feed, then copy and paste the URL like the one I posted above. You might need to add the "http://thedomainname.tld" bit on to the beginning.

In the old software, if you made multiple consecutive posts in a row in the same thread (with nobody else posting inbetween) then your posts were consolidated into one post. I liked that.

Nah, they did, I think it was if no-one had opened the thread before your first post.

It was definitely automatic - it happened immediately following the second post.

I don't think they were, it was more likely a mod merged the posts.

rats is right, consecutive posts would be automatically merged (a pain if you were starting a match thread AND wanted to comment on it immediately after).

Unfortunately this isn't default functionality with the software, possibly partly due to first-post reservation as Mr Fish mentions. If it's something the majority would like to see we can look to implement it - in the meantime if you spot a lot of posts that need merging let one of us know and we can merge them.

Is it possible to implement a setting to allow posters to delete their own posts. The old software used to allow it within the editing time limit?

Unfortunately this isn't default functionality with the software, possibly partly due to first-post reservation as Mr Fish mentions. If it's something the majority would like to see we can look to implement it - in the meantime if you spot a lot of posts that need merging let one of us know and we can merge them.

Aha, that will be why I get weird results when I try to have the posts sorted newest first. The most recent post is not the first post I see, but the second post (actually the third of you count the forum ad.) The "top" post is always the starter, and this is very annoying. Is first post reservation really necessary? It serves no useful purpose that I can see, and causes problems with the formatting. When I click on a thread , I always end up having to go to the page display and click on the last page and then scroll all the way to the bottom to see the latest posts.

Also, reversing the thread order puts the Reply Box at the top of the page. WTF?

I have to say that, while this Xenforo does contain some clever stuff, some of the basic "daily use" functionality is completely screwed up. I'd like to use the "Newest Post First" setting, but with all the cocked up functionality, its not worth the incovenience of the drawbacks that come with it.

Last edited:

Thanks. Certainly not a big issue from my end, but was good for a gameday thread in my opinion if there are concerns ability repeat postings. I'm sure mods will take the context of any repeat posting into account before having a quiet word.

Latest posts