• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh Rugby Stuff

Wasn't sure where to post this but. What a massive loss Jonathan Davies is for the Scarlets. I'm actually very sad. Scott Williams and JD were bubbling away as a good partnership as well, playing in Wales. I can't say I am surprised just sad.

Will he start at Clermont? They have a heck of a back line, as good as he is.

Wasn't sure where to post this but. What a massive loss Jonathan Davies is for the Scarlets. I'm actually very sad. Scott Williams and JD were bubbling away as a good partnership as well, playing in Wales. I can't say I am surprised just sad.

Will he start at Clermont? They have a heck of a back line, as good as he is.
He is a better player than Stanley, while Rougerie and King are the wrong side of 30. Good move for him, potentially. Huge loss for Wales though.

He is a better player than Stanley, while Rougerie and King are the wrong side of 30. Good move for him, potentially. Huge loss for Wales though.

True. The idea of him and Fofana paired together is exciting as well.

I know it keeps being said but how can the Welsh regions compete when all of the stars keeping moving away. It's becoming a very, very slippery slope. I suppose from the WRU's perspective it doesn't really make a difference where they are, providing they can play for Wales.

Halfpenny is definitely next.

True. The idea of him and Fofana paired together is exciting as well.

I know it keeps being said but how can the Welsh regions compete when all of the stars keeping moving away. It's becoming a very, very slippery slope. I suppose from the WRU's perspective it doesn't really make a difference where they are, providing they can play for Wales.

Halfpenny is definitely next.

Not sure the Clermont wingers will be quite as excited at that centre partnership mind.

Horrific quotes in this that may explain the Welsh second half capitulation at Murrayfield. When the game is lost, why risk an injury by putting your body on the line when it might result in you being unemployed?

I'm sympathetic to the arguments but the grass isn't greener elsewhere, other than Japan or France. The money seems to be drying up in the English league and those English sides now have disincentives to pick players who are not eligible to play for the English national side (making them less likely to pay top dollar for anyone who isn't an absolutely top Welsh pro).

The WRU need to cut costs as they cannot attract sufficient sponsorship or TV money via the URC and 6N. If it isn't via reducing URC sides then it needs to be via player salaries. Given my above paragraph I think the lesser of two evils is to play hardball over salaries. But it's still a horrible thing to do.

Wales online, so pinch of salt required etc., but this article says Cardiff's playing budget is £7.2m and being reduced to £5.2m
Where tf are they spending all that?? £2.2m more than the prem cap, even after the reduction it's still more than the prem cap

Someone skimming off the top?

Wales online, so pinch of salt required etc., but this article says Cardiff's playing budget is £7.2m and being reduced to £5.2m
Where tf are they spending all that?? £2.2m more than the prem cap, even after the reduction it's still more than the prem cap

Yeah, like 5 is massive, 7 is astronomical - and they only played a small percentage of the wage of the bigger Welsh internationals.

What's a first team squad? 40 players? 7m/42 = 165k average?

... and them pure dung for years with a wafer thin squad. Small wonder the WRU are saying enough.

So the WRU financial results are out.

Turnover of £101.3m in this year.

For contrast, the IRFU turnover last year was €116m. That is actually less than the WRU when you run the exchange rate; and I believe would include a far greater proportion of provincial unit expenses than the Welsh regions as they are more akin to private entities.

I know the IRFU operate in a favourable tax regime, but still - doesn't really explain how the Welsh regions are soo poor.

For contrast, the IRFU turnover last year was €116m. That is actually less than the WRU when you run the exchange rate; and I believe would include a far greater proportion of provincial unit expenses than the Welsh regions as they are more akin to private entities.

I know the IRFU operate in a favourable tax regime, but still - doesn't really explain how the Welsh regions are soo poor.
Because it's not just about money. Money is a factor but not even the most important one. Ireland have got great infrastructure and pathways with the private schools and what not whereas everything in Wales is a mess.

Their playing budgets are pretty high tbf,
I remember when there were threats of strikes over playing budgets being slashed but the new, much smaller, figure was still about £2m higher than the premiership salary cap

Apparently Cardiff were paying Matthew Morgan £220k Pa so pretty stupid decision making when building squads.

I don't see that turnover is the best metric to measure financial success. Surely surplus/deficit is more indicative of financial health.

I don't see that turnover is the best metric to measure financial success. Surely surplus/deficit is more indicative of financial health.

Conventionally yes - but my point is the WRU have no real shortage of money compared to the IRFU- so is the question not then - "WTF are they spending it on?"

Apparently Cardiff were paying Matthew Morgan £220k Pa so pretty stupid decision making when building squads.
I find this amazingly difficult to believe Cardiffs playing budget this season is anywhere near 5mill...

13 of the 35 are recent academy promotions, and will be earning pennies. Let's say 50k each. That's 650k.

Next round are longer term graduates that have a couple caps, or the signed journeyman, Willis, Young, Lane, Asserati etc.. say 100k each x 17. 1.7 mil.

Then the top end talent, Adam's, Falatau etc say 200k each x 5 = 1 mill.

That's 3.35 mill playing squad. Seems about right.

The average wage for Welsh pro players is reported at 100k, so if we say 35 times 100k that's 3.5 million.

So I'd say 3.3 - 3.5 million seems about right for the Cardiff squad, wheres the other 2 mill being spent?!?!

Latest posts