• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh sides for B&I 2015/16

Certainly more than a couple of coaches TRF_Olyy. The attendance that day was over two thousand and Pirates coach described the atmosphere after the match as being more like a Ponty home match. I never heard the figure of 3,000, I seem to recall 1,000 being predicted and the reality couldn't have been far off that. It would have been more if Pirates hadn't failed to open the club early for the hoards who were forced back into town to drink. After 3-4 hours of drinking, quite a lot ended up staying there and watching the match on TV rather than making it to the ground - not sure what this says about the enormous capacity for alcohol you mention. Before I read that comment I thought it was rather strange that in all the photos in the Wales Online gallery, there's only one picture of a Ponty fan with a glass in hand. Maybe the Cornish and the Welsh have a different idea of what constitutes an enormous capacity for alcohol! ;)

Bristol's back Guys Like that preverbal bad penny hay ho, don’t I just hate the b####y play offs?? Good news though being as were still in the Championship I might get down to visit the Cornish at last (don’t they luv beating us?) But the Question is who are the Welsh going to put against us in the B&I CUP?? If its Club sides then it’s an away trip to book for me! I’m not going to watch regional "A" sides. I’d rather save my money Just don’t get the atmosphere at those matches and to be honest the only sides of that type I have any interest in watching are the internationals plus Lions and the Barbarians.

Bristol's back Guys Like that preverbal bad penny hay ho, don't I just hate the b####y play offs?? Good news though being as were still in the Championship I might get down to visit the Cornish at last (don't they luv beating us?) But the Question is who are the Welsh going to put against us in the B&I CUP?? If its Club sides then it's an away trip to book for me! I'm not going to watch regional "A" sides. I'd rather save my money Just don't get the atmosphere at those matches and to be honest the only sides of that type I have any interest in watching are the internationals plus Lions and the Barbarians.

Bang on there Regional A sides you'd get a couple of hundred at best, we get more support away than regions 1st sides some weeks.

No taking sides here just your personal preference, you tell me which teams / clubs would you guys have in the B&I cup ??

No taking sides here just your personal preference, you tell me which teams / clubs would you guys have in the B&I cup ??

I would keep it as, apart from Bristol I feel we are a match for any of the sides in the comp since it started.

Firstly there have been plenty of Ponty players who have made it at the Blues, from Melon and Nugget to Liam Belcher there are plenty.
Secondly the Blues dont deserve Johnsy and Chief, who are coaching a squad they havent amassed themselves.
Thirdly its time to scrap the Blues and have the region where it should be at Sardis Rd, Ponty often have more support than the regions and would sell out if they were a region.
Finally as my 3rd point isnt likely to happen for reasons we are all aware of the idea of putting the regions A sides in thr BIC would be the death knell for clubs with nothing to aim at other than the domestic league and cup.

This post is full of some complete and utter tripe.

- - - Updated - - -

Bang on there Regional A sides you'd get a couple of hundred at best, we get more support away than regions 1st sides some weeks.

No you don't.

The problem in Welsh Rugby is we can really only afford 4 pro sides but some want 6 or more. The whole point of the regions putting A teams in the B&I cup is that the sides that compete in there compete on behalf of their region and are effectively regional A sides. There are playoffs to decide who plays in the B&I cup to represent their region hence last year Pontypridd represented the Blues region because they won the regional playoff. With the LV cup going they still want a competition that brings English sides to their grounds because the regions don't want to be in the Pro 12. The Pro 12 is set up to benefit the Irish provinces and should have changed into conferences years ago. The regions want to play in the Aviva Premiership because they get their biggest crowds playing each other and when English sides come in the european cups. They are hoping that if the Premiership goes to lock out and expands then they can join that way as it would be a effectively a franchise league. If that happens maybe Pontypridd and RGC 1404 can replace them in the Pro12. Though i don't think the Irish would be very happy with that.

Last edited:

- - - Updated - - -

No you don't.

Yes we do , how often have you been to Sardis Road ?

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

No you don't.

Just to add, you obviously no F all about the feelings and opinions of the majority of real fans in the valleys.

I do and it is funny how all the people in the Valleys are all Ponty fans. Ponty averages 2000 at most for league games and maybe 4000-5000 for a B&I semi-final as a one off event.
Pontypridd are a great small club but could only ever support a development type region they would never get any crowds bigger than the dragons. They would never have a budget bigger than they have now plus the support of the Blues with players for some of their games would be taken away. Would people turn up to watch the Valleys version of Zebre? which is what it would be. Plus the other regions would not allow their income to drop so Pontys tv money would be limited. If they were to become a region where would they play? the Irish will not allow the Pro 12 to expand as the league as it is suits them and is set up for them. These are the cold hard facts that will mean Ponty will never become a region and is stuck as a feeder club to the Blues.

Just checked the figures on the Pro12 site and the Ponty site. And most of the Ponty crowds ranged from 900-2300, so under half what any region gets. Only once did they get a crowd that compares with any of the regions for a one off B&I Cup match against Bristol, and even then only better than a couple of the lowest vs Treviso or Connacht or someone. That also comes with the caveat that Ponty are known for exaggerating their numbers. Their crowds and the regions are not in the same league.

Just checked the figures on the Pro12 site and the Ponty site. And most of the Ponty crowds ranged from 900-2300, so under half what any region gets. Only once did they get a crowd that compares with any of the regions for a one off B&I Cup match against Bristol, and even then only better than a couple of the lowest vs Treviso or Connacht or someone. That also comes with the caveat that Ponty are known for exaggerating their numbers. Their crowds and the regions are not in the same league.

Why the anger lives on at Ponty
PETER JACKSON
Last updated at 14:58 02 November 2006

Glory days: Geraint Lewis scores for Ponty against Brive in 1997, but for club director Cenydd Thomas (below) the memories are tinged with bitterness
They used to pack them into Sardis Road like sardines to see the valley boys of Pontypridd whip the cream of Europe.
The town, more than any other, put rock 'n' roll into the Heineken Cup, a fact which had nothing to do with it being the birthplace of Tom Jones.
The fans would rock the joint by cranking up the volume to full blast and the team would roll over a succession of champion clubs to the thunderous sound of 'Ponty, Ponty, Ponty'.
Brive, then the best in Europe by some distance, went there as holders nine years ago and were mighty glad to escape with a 29-29 draw. Bath lost in Pontypridd that same season, the year before they won the tournament in 1998.
As standard bearers for the Rhondda Valley, Ponty were bursting with pride in January 2000 when Munster lost on their way to the final.
They were even more proud in October of the same year when the Sardis experience proved too much even for Martin Johnson's Leicester, then at their zenith as reigning European champions.
It was the only time the Tigers came unstuck during their two-year monopoly of the tournament.
They will be happy to give Sardis Road a miss when they return to south Wales on European business this weekend.
They will be counted out of the tournament if they lose to Cardiff at the Millennium Stadium on Sunday afternoon.
Sadly, Pontypridd have been counted out of the professional game for good. They have become the ghost club of Europe, shamefully sacrificed on the altar of Welsh rugby's regional concept.
They still play at the same place but, where there used to be crowds of up to 10,000, now only 1,200 turn up to watch the part-timers of the Welsh Premier League.
Even now, three years after losing their status, the bitterness is still there, fuelled by the resentment at being absorbed against their will into the region governed by Cardiff, the team they revelled in beating more than any other.
The Welsh capital is barely 10 miles away but if the gate for Cardiff's clash against Leicester on Sunday does reach 30,000, not many are likely to be Pontypridd fans.
"Probably about 20, maybe a few more," says Sam Simon, a legendary Ponty figure as player, coach, touch judge and president. "I'll tell you how many Ponty fans won't be there - at least 5,000.
"They won't go because of the internecine warfare between the clubs. We've been fighting each other on the rugby field, in the nicest possible way, for 125 years and with sticks for the 125 years before that.
"There is a huge amount of ill-feeling at the club being shafted. Maybe future generations will take a different view."

The fans left high and dry are reminded every weekend of the disintegration of their club. They see ex-Pontypridd players across a wide spectrum of clubs and think what might have been. The majority are internationals - 19 of them.
There are Duncan Bell and Christian Loader at Bath, Jason Strange, Craig Morgan and Geraint Lewis at Bristol, Mefin Davies at Gloucester, John Bryant at Sale and Richard Parks down in Perpignan via Leeds.
Then there are the players snaffled by the Welsh regions: Brent Cockbain and Sonny Parker at the Ospreys, Robert Sidoli, Gethin Jenkins, Martyn Williams at Cardiff, Dafydd James and Matthew Rees at Llanelli, and Kevin Morgan, Michael Owen, Ceri Sweeney and Gareth Wyatt at the Newport Dragons.
Cenydd Thomas, at times an international referee, club coach and chief executive and now a director, said: "There is still a lot of bitterness and it's exacerbated by the fact that there's more than a whole team of ex-Ponty players out there.
"We can be all bitter and twisted but all we do is make ourselves feel worse. A lot of our people were totally disenchanted so they turned their back on the game.
"The lovely thing is that the ex-players like Martyn Williams come back to watch us whenever they can. We do dwell on our memories and we have been right up there in some legendary matches."
At least they can never take that from them.

Sorry valley commando, but I don't see what copying and pasting a nine year old article contributes to the discussion. As far as I can see, the salient question is, even if the teething problems of The Warriors can be avoided, how will it be possible for a fifth franchise to generate sufficient revenue to be competitive?

Firstly there have been plenty of Ponty players who have made it at the Blues, from Melon and Nugget to Liam Belcher there are plenty.
Secondly the Blues dont deserve Johnsy and Chief, who are coaching a squad they havent amassed themselves.
Thirdly its time to scrap the Blues and have the region where it should be at Sardis Rd, Ponty often have more support than the regions and would sell out if they were a region.
Finally as my 3rd point isnt likely to happen for reasons we are all aware of the idea of putting the regions A sides in thr BIC would be the death knell for clubs with nothing to aim at other than the domestic league and cup.

Oh god where to start with this one...

1) Yupp, Nugget was a legendary player, and Melon continues to be, but not relevant at all to the point Bluemoon is making about the current development system? Both were pretty well established before the regional set up even existed, so not the same situation at all. As for Belcher, promising player to all accounts, but he hasn't quite made it yet. Looking forward to seeing more of him next season, but it remains to be seen how he does at the top level.
The point Bluemoon is making is that the players who have been outstanding for Ponty at Premiership level, have not been up to the grade at regional (Walsh being a prime example). The gap in quality is simply too big at the moment.

2) Please feel free to take Chief and Johnsy back. Blues have been pretty shambolic under them in defense and attack, and they really haven't left a positive mark as it stands.

3) *Sigh*

I get your frustrations. I think the B&I cup is a fantastic idea for a competition, and does bring back a lot of nostalgia for Welsh club is. The problem is, the whole set up needs to be looked at, as Ponty are the only Welsh team of any quality in the competition. Plus, the Premiership simply isn't giving players the level of development that they need to step up to the Regional, European and then International level...

Nobody in their right mind would think the proud people of the Valleys would except Cardiff Blues or any other club no matter how good they were as representing them.

Thanks for your sensible reply Alias. I agree with you. However, you must remember, when Cardiff Blues was formed, it represented Cardiff and the Vale, and it still does that. It's only the professional player development pathway that they have taken on past that boundary, not to represent a load of people who do not want to be invovled with the team. As I've said, it's a crazy business strategy to try to appeal to a community who are adaemdent they do not what to be involved. Some have been pretty rude and vocal about the Cardiff Blues as well.

I get your frustrations. I think the B&I cup is a fantastic idea for a competition, and does bring back a lot of nostalgia for Welsh club is. The problem is, the whole set up needs to be looked at, as Ponty are the only Welsh team of any quality in the competition. Plus, the Premiership simply isn't giving players the level of development that they need to step up to the Regional, European and then International level...

Thanks for trying to clarfiy my points Thingmubob, but I fear we barking up a pointless tree. I think the new links the Caridff Blues are making with Merthyr RFC following Stan Thomas' proposals are very interesting. Perhaps they will be the Blues A?

I think people no matter how loud a small section of Ponty fans shout, there are a huge amout of rugby playing comunities, clubs and supporters in the Valleys that surround Pontypridd. Yes they have a great history, but they don't represent all the valleys. Hopefully Cardiff Blues can expel resources on making links there and investing young players in those clubs, rather than those who "will never be a blue."

I would keep it as, apart from Bristol I feel we are a match for any of the sides in the comp since it started.

Say whut?Does that mean that Bristol is the only team to have knocked Pontypridd out of the tournament and that they have won every tournament that they haven't had to face Bristol in? Funny, I thought that Pontypridd have only ever won two knockout matches in the tournament and have never made it past the semi-finals!

To answer Alias' question, I would pull the English teams out of the competition, make The Championship a 14 team league (Coventry and Rosslyn Park appear to have the appetite for level 2 rugby, Albion may be able to fight back too) and leave the Welsh (and possibly Irish, the Scots obviously don't care) to think about how to set up a competitive second tier.

Yep but they keep insisting they are. It is annoying! They don't seem to realize that there is only 4 pro teams in Wales and they are a feeder club to one of them and unless the league expands and gets a lot more money there is only going to be 4! Plus if there was an expansion then I think it would be in North Wales with RGC 1404 promoted.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a second tier pro 12 is the answer. Each teams in the pro12 nominates a feeder club to play in it. Maybe they could also qualify for a 3rd tier euro tournament?

I have much sympathy for valley commando (I hope you are Bez) and to a great extent share his plight, but the cold hard truth is that it's all about the money and some of us ain't got it.

A D2 Pro12 doesn't sound like a horrible idea to me, I know nothing about Scottish or Irish rugby, but I just can't see how Welsh players on the fringes of the regions can get regular, competitive rugby without it.

Hopefully I don't come off as an arrogant Englishman, I would refute the English part anyway. As it stands, Welsh rugby is missing level 2 in English terms - most PP teams would hold their own, but not prosper in National One in England and that's a hell of a step up to level one rugby.

I have much sympathy for valley commando (I hope you are Bez) and to a great extent share his plight, but the cold hard truth is that it's all about the money and some of us ain't got it.

A D2 Pro12 doesn't sound like a horrible idea to me, I know nothing about Scottish or Irish rugby, but I just can't see how Welsh players on the fringes of the regions can get regular, competitive rugby without it.

Hopefully I don't come off as an arrogant Englishman, I would refute the English part anyway. As it stands, Welsh rugby is missing level 2 in English terms - most PP teams would hold their own, but not prosper in National One in England and that's a hell of a step up to level one rugby.

The B and I cup isn't really about the money anymore. The decision on the professional teams in Wales were made a long time ago and there isn't the resources to change that. These new A teams are about player development.

As for the B and I cup, well I'm not completely familiar with who runs the comp, but if I remember rightly, it's run by the member unions and mainly chaired by the RFU. I think that the Irish A's are strong enough to really challenge the teams involved from England, and this is probably reflected by the fact they have won it a number of times. The Irish A's will help develop those English teams and further increase the English player base, so I can only see it as a benefit to England. Once the selected A teams are put into place I am sure you will see a group of strong Welsh A sides in the competition. Just speaking from a Blues perspective there have been a number of Wales U20 players that will be selected in that team who have a lot of potential. There would also be some other's who would have played in the LV cup, such as Miles Normandale, Dillion Lewis and Garyn Thomas.

Yep but they keep insisting they are. It is annoying! They don't seem to realize that there is only 4 pro teams in Wales and they are a feeder club to one of them and unless the league expands and gets a lot more money there is only going to be 4! Plus if there was an expansion then I think it would be in North Wales with RGC 1404 promoted.

- - - Updated - - -

Maybe a second tier pro 12 is the answer. Each teams in the pro12 nominates a feeder club to play in it. Maybe they could also qualify for a 3rd tier euro tournament?

A 2nd tier pro 12 with a 3rd tier Euro comp is a cracking idea, just as long as the clubs retain their identity.

- - - Updated - - -

No you don't send arrogant at all, I appreciate your kind comments.
As you are Cornish and the passion for rugby in your neck of the woods is akin to that in the valleys what do you think about the top Cornish sides being part of the 3rd tier Euro comp ?

No you don't send arrogant at all, I appreciate your kind comments.
As you are Cornish and the passion for rugby in your neck of the woods is akin to that in the valleys what do you think about the top Cornish sides being part of the 3rd tier Euro comp ?

Tough question. Top Cornish sides (plural) certainly not - the second best side in the Duchy (Redruth) don't pay players at all and third best side Launceston are on the modest end of semi-pro. Both finished at the lower end of level 4 in the English leagues (although when playing together as Cornwall, augmented by a few others won the County Championship against Lancashire who were heavily based on Fylde who finished fourth in level 3). Neither side would have the playing strength or resources to compete at that level. I believe that the Cornish Pirates are still fully pro, they finished mid table in The Championship so could possibly cope. However since their major backer reduced his support, pennies have been very tight so any decision to join such a competition would be heavily financially influenced, particularly as the RFU have recently committed to increasing their financial input into Championship sides. From a marketing / identity point of view, I think there would be a huge appeal of "opting out".

Latest posts