• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Welsh squad for the AI's.

I think it be named Sunday on Scrum V with Eddie Butler cummin all over the place and Gareth Charles speaking his usual nonsense with Jiffy loving the fact that his outsider made the squad!

WalesOnline claim it's being announced on sunday afternoon.

EDIT: Just had a look and Scrum V isn't on on Sunday. Expect it to be announced on the BBC Sport website.

Last edited:
What about this for a prospective squad (trying to balance out youth and experience)

Props:
Adam Jones
Gethin Jenkins
Paul James
John Yapp
Rhys Gill/Scott Andrews

Hookers:
Matthew Rees
Ken Owens
Huw Bennett/T Rhys Thomas

Second Row:
Bradley Davies
Alun Wyn Jones
Ian Evans (if fit, otherwise Luke Charteris)
Ian Gough

Back Row:
Ryan Jones
Sam Warburton
Dan Lydiate
Martyn Williams
Jonathan Thomas

Scrum Half:
Mike Phillips
Richie Rees
Martin Roberts/Tavis Knoyle

Standoff:
Stephen Jones
Jason Tovey
Daniel Biggar (not my choice, but it is inevitable)

Wing:
Shane Williams
Leigh Halfpenny
Will Harries
Tom James

Centre:
James Hook
Jonathan Davies
Andrew Bishop
Tom Shanklin

Fullback:
Lee Byrne
Daniel Evans
Chris Czekaj

Is there a pre-selection training camp/"trials" type thing?
On the Sale Sharks site is says the Dwayne Peel is missing tomorrows game because he strained his groin training with Wales, which must've been in the last week or so, as he played for Sale on Oct 1st

Didn't know about one Olyy.

@ Draggs. Squad looks ok to me. I do hope Gatland makes room for McCusker and Turnbull in the squad though. No matter if the WC squad is only 30, the AI's are a place to test a few players out to see if they can cut it. The Fiji game would be ideal to give Turnbull a run and see if he can carry his recent Scarlets form into the international arena.

In the backs, I highly doubt Tovey will go, as he's played barely any rugby this season, and there's still no sign of him returning. It would actually be unfair to finally give him his first cap after barely any rugby under his belt after injury. He should have already had his chance by now, but a combination of unfortunate events and Gatland's overlooking him has prevented that. Sweeney would be my second choice 10 at present with Biggar in there too.

Tom James shouldn't be close to the squad. He's got much to learn, and isn't getting gametime with the Blues at present. Brew and North ahead of him, whilst Stoddard also has an opportunity to overtake him too (although has similar weaknesses to James).

I see your point with Tovey and James, I'd pick Sweeney or Robinson (plays well for Gloucester, seems to be unfairly left out) and perhaps Fussell for James (looked solid so far).
Didn't know about one Olyy.

@ Draggs. Squad looks ok to me. I do hope Gatland makes room for McCusker and Turnbull in the squad though. No matter if the WC squad is only 30, the AI's are a place to test a few players out to see if they can cut it. The Fiji game would be ideal to give Turnbull a run and see if he can carry his recent Scarlets form into the international arena.

In the backs, I highly doubt Tovey will go, as he's played barely any rugby this season, and there's still no sign of him returning. It would actually be unfair to finally give him his first cap after barely any rugby under his belt after injury. He should have already had his chance by now, but a combination of unfortunate events and Gatland's overlooking him has prevented that. Sweeney would be my second choice 10 at present with Biggar in there too.

Tom James shouldn't be close to the squad. He's got much to learn, and isn't getting gametime with the Blues at present. Brew and North ahead of him, whilst Stoddard also has an opportunity to overtake him too (although has similar weaknesses to James).

FACT: Daniel Evans will not get in. He's just scraping a bench slot with the Scarlets now, and even last year when he was the form Fullback in Wales and there was no Lee Byrne he wasn't getting in.

A revised squad from me, just before the squad is announced at 1pm on Monday...

Props: Adam Jones, Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Ryan Bevington
Yapp's been sub-parr ecently, and his scrummaging has been very bad. Just because he's got a number of caps doesn't mean he should automatically get in. Ryan Bevington looks like the future loosehead, he's everything Hugh Gustafson looked set to be but wasn't- He does the same sort of thing in the loose, but also put in big hits and is a great scrummager. The other three are givens.

Hookers: Matthew Rees, T Rhys Thomas
I wouldn't mind seeing Hibbard in there and I still want Ken Owens to be given his oppotunity, but these two have been going very well and warrent squad places.

Locks: Alun Wyn Jones, Bradley Davies, Luke Charteris, Lou Reed/Ian Gough

Much as I like Goffy, Reed has been playing well and could well have got a place in the side. Charteris played very well tonight after he came on at half-time, made the most tackles on anyone in the second half and stole a couple of line-outs.

Back Row: Ryan Jones, Jonathan Thomas, Martyn Williams, Sam Warburton, Dan Lydiate, Rob McCusker/Josh Turnbull

Dependant on squad numbers, both McCuker and Turnbull could get in. Both have played very well, but not quite as well as Lydiate (The one real shining light at the Dragons right now) while the others are proven international-class players. Ryan or JT could easily see themselves slotting in as second rowers.

Scrum Halves: Mike Philips, Richie Rees, Tavis Knyole/Martin Roberts

Knoyle was a given until last week's stunning performance from Roberts, and another like that tommorow could get him a Wales slot. Rees suits the Wales gameplan, while Mike Philips is a test match animal and looked like he's starting to get back to his best on Friday.

Fly Halves: Stephen Jones, Dan Biggar
Difficult, this. Matthew Jones has been awful, Biggar hasn't really set the world alight while Dan Parks has been at 10 for the Blues. Stephen to start every game, Hook to cover, Biggar just in the squad for the sake of it.

Centres: Jonathan Davies, James Hook, Andrew Bishop
Davies and Hook will start, Bish on the bench. Only three because really there have been no other stand-outs. Shanks may get a recall, though really he's looked off the pace as of late. If nessecary Brew could move up, or Shane could possibly go to 12. (He's played 10 for the Ospreys before, so it can't be too big an ask, although far from ideal.)

Wingers: Shane Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Will Harries, Aled Brew

Fussell could well get a call here, although I expect Harries will play against Fiji and if he does well, the All Balcks (Gulp) while Brew will provide cover on the bench against Austrailia and possibly start versus the islanders. George North is out of the autumn internationals, otherwise he would be in.

Fullbacks: Lee Byrne, Chris Czeaj

Byrne starts, Checks sits on the bench to cover 11/14/15. Simples. No other real contenders. Harries could also do a job there if needed.

Noone considering Rhys Priestland?
He's coming into his own now playing at Fullback, think he's much better there then at FH (I remember some truely shocking performances there at the start of last season) - Could be worth a shot as a utility back kind of guy?

noone considering rhys priestland?
He's coming into his own now playing at fullback, think he's much better there then at fh (i remember some truely shocking performances there at the start of last season) - could be worth a shot as a utility back kind of guy?
begone, heathen!!!!

I'm a fan of Prestland (well I think he's decent anyway). He consistently plays well wheather at 10 or 15. The shocking performances you're thinking about Olyy were with the boot, the rest of his game has been good for a while. Probably not in line for a call up, unless he has another blinder tomorrow.

@ DuncTheDoodle. Pack looks spot on. I think Bevington will get the nod, great player in the making there, and one that can scrummage! Scott Andrews deserves a shout too. Wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan Jones picked as a lock, Gatland may decide to continue the experiment. That would then allow space for McCusker and Turnbull with McCusker possibly tried at 8 against Fiji.

I think one more centre is required, and no Brew and Shane cannot do a job in the centre. Phillips on the other hand can!

FACT: Daniel Evans will not get in. He's just scraping a bench slot with the Scarlets now, and even last year when he was the form Fullback in Wales and there was no Lee Byrne he wasn't getting in.

A revised squad from me, just before the squad is announced at 1pm on Monday...

Props: Adam Jones, Gethin Jenkins, Paul James, Ryan Bevington
Yapp's been sub-parr ecently, and his scrummaging has been very bad. Just because he's got a number of caps doesn't mean he should automatically get in. Ryan Bevington looks like the future loosehead, he's everything Hugh Gustafson looked set to be but wasn't- He does the same sort of thing in the loose, but also put in big hits and is a great scrummager. The other three are givens.

Hookers: Matthew Rees, T Rhys Thomas
I wouldn't mind seeing Hibbard in there and I still want Ken Owens to be given his oppotunity, but these two have been going very well and warrent squad places.

Locks: Alun Wyn Jones, Bradley Davies, Luke Charteris, Lou Reed/Ian Gough

Much as I like Goffy, Reed has been playing well and could well have got a place in the side. Charteris played very well tonight after he came on at half-time, made the most tackles on anyone in the second half and stole a couple of line-outs.

Back Row: Ryan Jones, Jonathan Thomas, Martyn Williams, Sam Warburton, Dan Lydiate, Rob McCusker/Josh Turnbull

Dependant on squad numbers, both McCuker and Turnbull could get in. Both have played very well, but not quite as well as Lydiate (The one real shining light at the Dragons right now) while the others are proven international-class players. Ryan or JT could easily see themselves slotting in as second rowers.

Scrum Halves: Mike Philips, Richie Rees, Tavis Knyole/Martin Roberts

Knoyle was a given until last week's stunning performance from Roberts, and another like that tommorow could get him a Wales slot. Rees suits the Wales gameplan, while Mike Philips is a test match animal and looked like he's starting to get back to his best on Friday.

Fly Halves: Stephen Jones, Dan Biggar
Difficult, this. Matthew Jones has been awful, Biggar hasn't really set the world alight while Dan Parks has been at 10 for the Blues. Stephen to start every game, Hook to cover, Biggar just in the squad for the sake of it.

Centres: Jonathan Davies, James Hook, Andrew Bishop
Davies and Hook will start, Bish on the bench. Only three because really there have been no other stand-outs. Shanks may get a recall, though really he's looked off the pace as of late. If nessecary Brew could move up, or Shane could possibly go to 12. (He's played 10 for the Ospreys before, so it can't be too big an ask, although far from ideal.)

Wingers: Shane Williams, Leigh Halfpenny, Will Harries, Aled Brew

Fussell could well get a call here, although I expect Harries will play against Fiji and if he does well, the All Balcks (Gulp) while Brew will provide cover on the bench against Austrailia and possibly start versus the islanders. George North is out of the autumn internationals, otherwise he would be in.

Fullbacks: Lee Byrne, Chris Czeaj

Byrne starts, Checks sits on the bench to cover 11/14/15. Simples. No other real contenders. Harries could also do a job there if needed.

Pretty much spot on ...

Although ... can we all lean please to spell Chris Czekaj

Expect another prop and hooker to be selected. Gatland likes his 5 props, so id like to see the ever improving Scott Andrews go there. Rhys Gill is injured so with Bev getting included id expect them to get cover at tight head. Id expect Hibbard to take the third hooker slot with Ken Owens on stand by, Owens for me is the better but who is getting more game time?

The third choice option at 9 will be the most interesting one, Roberts, Knoyle, Evans, Lloyd Williams (the outsider contention, a surprise package, Gatland like's doing those) ... take your pick. With the squad being picked at 1, I think Knoyle will be selected with game time against Fiji. I don't rate him, but when you take him to NZ, if you don't select him tomorrow its a step backward for his development and what message are you sending him.

I think Tom Shanklin will be given another chance in the Welsh shirt also, there are little extra options here. Ashley Smith would be the man but injured all the time. Tom Cheeseman was the other but limited game time has meant that he has not been able to show what he is made of. Hopefully these two can get a good run before the 6 Nations.

At wingers I see Fussell getting a nod in with those included with you.

@ Olyy ... never ever and I mean EVER suggest him again.

What's with all the Priestland hate?
I wasn't aware people didn't like him,
Other than playing for the Scarlets, what has he ever done to deserve it? :p

Not quite sure Olyy. I don't rate him as a reliable place kicker, but I rate the rest of his game. He's got a big and accurate out of hand kicking game, threatens the line very well, has a good passing game, plays flat, and is decent in defence. He's got a shot at getting selected at fullback, and I'd prefer him there than all but Byrne and Czekaj (Cymro, pretty obvious DuncTheDoodle just missed out the k by mistake!)

Seriously, with the anti Priestland, Knoyle and Reed attitudes there appears to be some anti Scarlets views here, although I've never seen it from Cymro or Cyril in the past. Knoyle looks a great prospect, similar to Phillips except with a better kicking and passing game. Not quite a physical yet, but that will come with age. He's miles ahead of where Phillips was at the same age. All three are on the fringe imo, so wouldn't be surprised or bothered if they get into the squad or not. But all three are future Welsh internationals imo, just a matter of time.

He - is - ****!!!!

Extremely harsh, and not a view I agree with.

I've got nothing against Knoyle, he does look alright. Never seen Lou Reed do anything to warrant a call-up at all, and the same for Priestland. It just makes me angry that people try to push these distinctly average players for Welsh honours.

Cymro, pretty obvious DuncTheDoodle just missed out the k by mistake!
That or I'm just not very good at Scrabble.

I think Priestland is a good player but isn't at international quality yet. However, he could be a contender come the World Cup or even Six Nations. Knoyle's service is far better than Philips already, and he's physical- He's almost the best of both worlds when it comes to selecting between Philips and Rees. I doubt Reed will be picked, but I could see him doing a job Vs. some of the 'Lesser Nations'.

Gatland will, no doubt, pick John Yapp, Huw Bennett and Deiniol Jones. While Bennett had one or two decent games off the bench (And that incredible sidestep against the Scarlets), Hibbard has been having good games from starting. Jones doesn't look international class and never has done while Yappy has a good name and all that, but his scrummaging has been horrible. Still, it's another tighthead option.

Latest posts