• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We're considering a major upgrade to TRF

Josh1

The Sidekick
Country Flag
UK
Hi all,

We are seriously considering upgrading the forum to use Xenforo. This is a more modern platform compared to what we're currently using. It is also 'mobile friendly' out of the box. Some of the benefits include:

Borrowing from this thread some of the benefits include:

• Faster
  • Popular @ Mention feature is built in (no add-ons) and intuitive (auto completes username)
  • Almost no learning curve
  • Professional and Simple
  • Connected to Social networks (FB, Twitter, Google+)
  • Highly customizable and consistent skins
  • Safer (more secure)
  • Typing in a thread ***le queries database and shows similar threads (cuts down on duplicates)
  • Uses less resources (less strain on servers)
  • Beautiful Gallery
  • Superior Inbox/Alert (mouseover to get info)
  • Spy tab (see all the latest activity in real time)
  • Excellent support
  • Trophy reward system for members
  • Easier uploading and embedding of pics
  • No need for a mobile app (site beautifully rendered on smartphone. Fast too!)
We would aim to keep features such as the custom forum icons (the rugby balls) and also your team badges and country flags. All accounts, posts, and messages would be imported in to the new system.

At this stage we're interested to hear any thoughts you have, specifically on Xenforo? Ultimately we are not happy sticking with the currently out-dated software, so change is coming - but we're open to suggestions on which platform to move to. If you want to see a 'real life' forum running Xenforo, then http://www.cyclechat.net is one of the nicer designed ones.

Thanks!
Josh

Good idea! I like the current forum but the inbox is so limited. And if I can save space in my mobile without an app would be good too

Too much democracy causes problems - don't give us an option!

Well I just had to go and find some examples as I've never heard of Xenfero. Its ok...?

Would this change stuff such as ***les/trophies, achievement, rep? As I do wonder whether that could do with an extra layer of complexity to it.
Overall on an aesthetic level I don't think xenfero is nicer, but the list of features and benefits does sound good and maybe a general freshen up would be good...

If I may give a bit of advice.

I just counted 13 rugby union links you can go to from the main page. My advise would be to have as few as possible. 1 for internationals, 1 for club/super rugby and 1 for tier 2/amateur rugby or something along those lines (plus other non rugby topics). That way you don't have to click through different links to get to different topics. So all the latest Pro 12, Aviva Prem, Top 14 and Super rugby topics etc would be together and more easily viewed.

Planet rugby is very popular because it has a simple format. People like simplicity. Other than that, I don't think theres much wrong with the site.

Planet rugby is very popular because it has a simple format. People like simplicity. Other than that, I don't think theres much wrong with the site.

TBF I think people like PR because it's pretty old school in it's tone - very trollish.

I agree though, the simpler the better - hence why I prefer VB and phpBB to Xenforo.

Planet rugby is so crap IMO and a massive clusterfuk

I like the current set up in terms of topic split.
Agree on both points the only thing I read on Planet Rugby is the Hot and Not and the beginning of the week.

I have no experience of Xenforo. Looks wise, the example given looks rather childish, it's only over a few months of using a piece of forum software that you come to figure out what you truly like / dislike about it though.

I have experience with phpBB, vBulletin and Invision Power Boards. The latter would be my preference from memory.

As there are so many sub forums here, the most important feature for me on this forum is a decent "What's New" style feature that saves me trawling through every single sub forum to see what might interest me.

If I may give a bit of advice.

I just counted 13 rugby union links you can go to from the main page. My advise would be to have as few as possible. 1 for internationals, 1 for club/super rugby and 1 for tier 2/amateur rugby or something along those lines (plus other non rugby topics). That way you don't have to click through different links to get to different topics. So all the latest Pro 12, Aviva Prem, Top 14 and Super rugby topics etc would be together and more easily viewed.

Just went and visited PR and the format is horrible and everything is cluttered and there are thread bumps from 2012 or 2009 etc everything, I think these boards are the best by miles. Everything is clear, the format is simplistic and good. Posting is easy and everything is readable and distinguishable, I was drawn to these boards because of the easy format and clear forum topics, from Super Rugby to Top 14. It's good.

Don't fix something that isn't broken? I didn't like the Xenfero examples I saw and all those positives listed in the OP sound like they came from their marketing page.

Good, like on here.

The major difference being that's it's not been organised into sub-forums.

Good, like on here.

The major difference being that's it's not been organised into sub-forums.

In other words is a disorganized cluster****. (PR)

These boards are neat and sub-forums are relevant and very easy to navigate past information and present.

The format of the site is practically the same - VB and phpBB are very similar.

I have no experience of Xenforo. Looks wise, the example given looks rather childish, it's only over a few months of using a piece of forum software that you come to figure out what you truly like / dislike about it though.

I have experience with phpBB, vBulletin and Invision Power Boards. The latter would be my preference from memory.

As there are so many sub forums here, the most important feature for me on this forum is a decent "What's New" style feature that saves me trawling through every single sub forum to see what might interest me.

That might be ideal for everyone. Keep all the sub forums but also have somewhere that arranges all the rugby posts from the site into one area, so someone who hasn't a lot of time can scan through it quickly.

Its grand having plenty of sub forums divided into different categories but most people are not going to be looking through all the different subforums for the latest news. That takes time so they'll either have to spend more time looking or miss a lot of whats happening.

Like the "new posts" button?
That's all I use, can't remember the last time I went into subforums, other than making threads.

I quite like the current setup to be honest.
Had a little experience with Xenforo and it's ok. Personally i prefer phpBB, but i guess it comes down to taste.

Picking up on what's been said, i'd say the current format needs a few teaks. As it stands, we have too many options in terms of forum branches. Way too many if you consider some of them are virtually dead in terms of usage. Group them, cluster a few. Yes, you will mix a couple of things here and there, but it will make surfing more user friendly and probably even encourage people to participate.

I'd rather see 5 active forums than 25 slow paced ones. And yes, it comes at a cost in terms of organization and format, but i sincerely think it's worth it.

Latest posts