• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

We're considering a major upgrade to TRF

TBF I think people like PR because it's pretty old school in it's tone - very trollish.

I agree though, the simpler the better - hence why I prefer VB and phpBB to Xenforo.

Well, I don't like PR, for me is a piece of sh*t. For that reason I'm here ;)

It's not about the content of the forum, it's about the software.

I like it, can you get a triple crown for winning arguments against the Welsh, Scots, Irish or English? ;)

That might be ideal for everyone. Keep all the sub forums but also have somewhere that arranges all the rugby posts from the site into one area, so someone who hasn't a lot of time can scan through it quickly.

Its grand having plenty of sub forums divided into different categories but most people are not going to be looking through all the different subforums for the latest news. That takes time so they'll either have to spend more time looking or miss a lot of whats happening.

I imagine that kind of feature is pretty standard to any half decent software (as long as it's enabled, presumably it comes with quite a server overhead), I just thought it was worth mentioning that it's a valuable feature to me that I would be disappointed to lose. I see the example of the proposed new software has a similar feature (http://www.cyclechat.net/find-new/7357196/posts).

I didn't mean to get into the rights and wrongs of the way the forum is structured - that's a whole other discussion.

Connected to Social networks (FB, Twitter, Google+)
I assume this is optional?

If I may give a bit of advice.

I just counted 13 rugby union links you can go to from the main page. My advise would be to have as few as possible. 1 for internationals, 1 for club/super rugby and 1 for tier 2/amateur rugby or something along those lines (plus other non rugby topics). That way you don't have to click through different links to get to different topics. So all the latest Pro 12, Aviva Prem, Top 14 and Super rugby topics etc would be together and more easily viewed.

Planet rugby is very popular because it has a simple format. People like simplicity. Other than that, I don't think theres much wrong with the site.
I like the separation. I don't watch Pro12, Top14 or Super Rugby, and prefer to refer to what is relevant to what I watch.

But the sub-forums could be better ordered.

e.g.

Featured: Love this. It's a fantastic way of highlighting the topical events of the rugby calendar, and removing them when they have passed avoids clutter. I would expand it to include all "big events" in the rugby calendar. I would have:
  • World Cup
  • Lions
  • Six Nations
  • Rugby Championship
  • Autumn Internationals
  • Summer Tours
  • TRFies
  • RL World Cup
  • (RL Four Nations?)
Northern Hemisphere RU:
  • General
  • Champions Cup & Challenge Cup
  • Premiership & Championship
  • Pro12
  • Top14 & D2
Southern Hemisphere RU:
  • General
  • Super 15
  • Currie
  • ITM
International RU (pushed further down because most international discussion is subsumed into "Featured"):
  • General
  • Tier Two
  • Sevens
Rugby League:
  • Super League
  • NRL
  • (Four Nations?)
Other Stuff (as it currently is)

The sub-forums were highly requested, as well - not just a "management" decision.
We used to have basically NH, SH, Int. but people wanted the separation so you didn't have to sift through.
The tier 2 was very recent as well, and we've had requests for more sub-forums as well.

Constant **** posting + doing match threads for the past 8 years gets you places :lol:

Especially as we used to have a thread per game for every league

It's not about the content of the forum, it's about the software.

I know and I'm talking about the software, of course. Too simple IMO, I prefer this forum by far.

I assume this is optional?

I like the separation. I don't watch Pro12, Top14 or Super Rugby, and prefer to refer to what is relevant to what I watch.

But the sub-forums could be better ordered.

e.g.

Featured: Love this. It's a fantastic way of highlighting the topical events of the rugby calendar, and removing them when they have passed avoids clutter. I would expand it to include all "big events" in the rugby calendar. I would have:
  • World Cup
  • Lions
  • Six Nations
  • Rugby Championship
  • Autumn Internationals
  • Summer Tours
  • TRFies
  • RL World Cup
  • (RL Four Nations?)
Northern Hemisphere RU:
  • General
  • Champions Cup & Challenge Cup
  • Premiership & Championship
  • Pro12
  • Top14 & D2
Southern Hemisphere RU:
  • General
  • SUPER RUGBY
  • Currie
  • ITM
International RU (pushed further down because most international discussion is subsumed into "Featured"):
  • General
  • Tier Two
  • Sevens
Rugby League:
  • Super League
  • NRL
  • (Four Nations?)
Other Stuff (as it currently is)

This, the name should be: "Super Rugby" and no "Super #" because the number of teams is changing every few years

Last edited:
Last edited:
I really like the actual format so not keen to see a change.

I quite dislike very simple forums like planet rugby or the forum which was linked here.

I really like the actual format so not keen to see a change.

I quite dislike very simple forums like planet rugby or the forum which was linked here.

Just to clarify, there are two issues being discussed in this thread, one is the underlying software and the other is the organisation of the forums. We're open to discussing both, but to reassure you - in terms of the software changing, this wouldn't cause any re-organisation by default, that would have to be done (once agreed) separately. So basically, we'd do our best to match the current look and feel of TRF with the new software, but it would give us a better foundation than vB4 which hasn't been updated (other than serious security risks) for many years.

I like the current structure it all works fine.

As to which forum to use they are all as bad as each other but essentially you pay for what you get.

My only complaint is I regulary use Latest Posts sidebar on the main and when accessing on my phone adverts seams to cover the entire section (not on a computer however) which is bloody annoying.

Just to clarify, there are two issues being discussed in this thread, one is the underlying software and the other is the organisation of the forums. We're open to discussing both, but to reassure you - in terms of the software changing, this wouldn't cause any re-organisation by default, that would have to be done (once agreed) separately. So basically, we'd do our best to match the current look and feel of TRF with the new software, but it would give us a better foundation than vB4 which hasn't been updated (other than serious security risks) for many years.
Thank you for clarifications :) I also like to clarify a bit my previous post. One of the reason I visit TRF is it's tidy look compared with others. I've no technical knowledge so I cannot comment on that but from a feeling point of view I don't like the actual tendency to tablet style look...for example I was a big fan of Win10 upgrade just because took away that tablet style .. I hope it makes sense what I babble here :D

I don't like the way the forum that was linked to looks, but as long as the text is as easy to read as it currently is, I'm fine. Whatever means the least amount of work for the admins, really.

As well as rep could we also have an arrogance feature, for when you need to show just how arrogant you think a post is? ;D

Latest posts