• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

I need to stop forgetting this thread.

Currently reading Wuthering Heights. Have to for my course, and I must admit I wasn't expecting to like it that much, but it's actually very enjoyable. I'm pleasantly suprised.

Soon I have an excuse to re-read A Clockwork Orange again. Now there's a book I can read over and over again without it ever losing its impact.
[/b]
We are reading that for English this year, and this being the first time i've read it, it is confusing, if well written. Not sure if I really like it, will probably enjoy better when I become accustomed to the little created langauge Alex uses in the book, finally clicked what "Twenty to One" meant, thought it just meant a fight... but I think it's a bit more sinister.

<div class='quotemain'>
I need to stop forgetting this thread.

Currently reading Wuthering Heights. Have to for my course, and I must admit I wasn't expecting to like it that much, but it's actually very enjoyable. I'm pleasantly suprised.

Soon I have an excuse to re-read A Clockwork Orange again. Now there's a book I can read over and over again without it ever losing its impact.
[/b]
We are reading that for English this year, and this being the first time i've read it, it is confusing, if well written. Not sure if I really like it, will probably enjoy better when I become accustomed to the little created langauge Alex uses in the book, finally clicked what "Twenty to One" meant, thought it just meant a fight... but I think it's a bit more sinister.
[/b][/quote]

The first time I read it I was initially confused by the language. Once you get used to it though you naturally start to associate the words with images, the same way you would do learning a foreign language.

And a lot of the stuff is pretty sinister. Especially stuff like Alex's appreciation of Beethoven contrast with his enjoyment of brutal sex and violence. Very creepy.

I have just finished reading Marc Ellis's book and man he is a crack up the **** he used to get up too, I highly recommend this book to anyone :cheers:

I just started reading Wuthering Heights.
Looking forward to it.
Only read the first chapter on the bus on the way to work this morning.

I have to admit i'm quite slow in reading it, because i never thought a chapter would have taken me 15 minutes to read; especially when it is but 8 or 9 pages long.

I'm about halfway through it now.

Quite a dark book. A lot more so than I was expecting.

The one thing that really sparked my mind was reading the tiny biography at the start of the book.
To hear that the Bronte daughters all had this intergrated writing society with which they contributed poems, serial stoies, jouranls etc.
How rich was this family? I presume they were rich, because they were well educated with the english language, and well connected - enough to get their writings published.

But i hear so much about the Bronte sisters that it baffles me to hear that Emily has only written one novel.
I bet she's glad she never did a 2nd tho.
Look how legendary Wuthering Heights is...all i can say is, the next book would be one son of a ***** of a "difficult 2nd album".

I finished reading Wuthering Heights last night.
Man oh man! What a great novel.
Honestly, it's so easy to see why it's always up there as one of the best books of all time.
I was encapsulated from the get go.
There is nothing too complex about it, but i never envisaged the author taking you through, what is essentially, three generations of characters! And in all that time she never loses your attention. Each and every story told is amazing because the main narrator is very endearing, Heathcliff is but a swine and you can't help but deteste him. It hurts to sit still and read at some points because the characters get you so aggrevated.

I can honestly say this book has spurned emotions of which i have not encountered whilt reading before.

I recommend this to EVERYONE!

I finished reading Wuthering Heights last night.
Man oh man! What a great novel.
Honestly, it's so easy to see why it's always up there as one of the best books of all time.
I was encapsulated from the get go.
There is nothing too complex about it, but i never envisaged the author taking you through, what is essentially, three generations of characters! And in all that time she never loses your attention. Each and every story told is amazing because the main narrator is very endearing, Heathcliff is but a swine and you can't help but deteste him. It hurts to sit still and read at some points because the characters get you so aggrevated.

I can honestly say this book has spurned emotions of which i have not encountered whilt reading before.

I recommend this to EVERYONE!
[/b]

If we are talking about the classics then check out Martin Chuzzelwit...tremendous book.

Can't go wrong with a bit of Dickens.
I, however, have not read that one. Have you read any of his other books? If so how does it compare?

Tell me a little about why you recommend the book...

Can't go wrong with a bit of Dickens.
I, however, have not read that one. Have you read any of his other books? If so how does it compare?

Tell me a little about why you recommend the book...
[/b]

It's pretty plot heavy, a lot of developement & twists and it's got loads of those fantastic Dickens type characters...the grotesque, the comic and the supremely lovable. It compares to Bleak House. Better then Great Expectations I'd say.

As I've mentioned before in this thread the Aubrey/Maturin books by Patrick O'Brian are a joy. A genuinely fantastically written literary swashbuckler. Bernard Cornwell meets Jane Austen (if that doesn't sound too terrible).

Bernard Cornwell is someone I keep meaning to read more of.

Gone through a couple of the Sharpe books so far. I loved the TV series, so starting reading them. Luckily it seems to be the case that the two medias are actually suprisingly different, but both very enjoyable.

Bernard Cornwell is someone I keep meaning to read more of.

Gone through a couple of the Sharpe books so far. I loved the TV series, so starting reading them. Luckily it seems to be the case that the two medias are actually suprisingly different, but both very enjoyable.
[/b]

I'd deffo recomend them. Great fun. He's becoming a better & better writer too. The Grail quests weren't unnecessarily as good as Sharpe but much better written.

The Sharpe prequels are a funny thing though....don't you think you'd mention to people that you were at the Battle of Trafalgar

Bernard Cornwell meets Jane Austen (if that doesn't sound too terrible).
[/b]

How dare you insinuate either of those novelists combined would be terrible.
I may be the only male who stands out and says this, but i'm happy to say that Jane Austen is one of the best novelists to have ever come from our country.

...just a bloody shame they had to make a supremely average, barely mediocre film about her life.

Read a biography on the woman - don't let the film dumb it down for you.

<div class='quotemain'>
Bernard Cornwell meets Jane Austen (if that doesn't sound too terrible).
[/b]

How dare you insinuate either of those novelists combined would be terrible.
I may be the only male who stands out and says this, but i'm happy to say that Jane Austen is one of the best novelists to have ever come from our country.

[/b][/quote]

I seriously think you should give 'Master & Commander' a try.

I'm reading a stage play for English. It's called The Club, written by David Williamson.

Tagline: a look at the power behind the big men of the sporting world

Synopsis(shite synopsis): The Club is about the hangers-on, the end of loyalty, the coming of professionalism, big business and massive transfer fess. It's about each and every club in the League and about soccer, rugby and baseball too.

I'D have to recommend three at the moment.

For fans of Irish Rugby take a read of "From there to here". The story of Irelands move into professionalism.

Anyone that likes a good laugh, expecially at the expense of D4 heads, pick up the "Curious Incident Of The Dog In The Nightdress". Class funny.

On a serious note. "The Forgotten Soldier" by Guy Sajer is one of the scariest books I've read. The true Story of a German Soldier during the retreat on the Eastern Front in WW2. A tough read, but well worth it.

After having finished reading Wuthering Heights, i started a book called 'Northern Lights' by Phillip Pullman.
I had it recommended to me by a mate who works in a book shop and he told me that everyone he knew whom had read the book loved it.
So i bought it...

I'm not sure if I should have trusted him or not.
I approach the book cautiously...

After having finished reading Wuthering Heights, i started a book called 'Northern Lights' by Phillip Pullman.
I had it recommended to me by a mate who works in a book shop and he told me that everyone he knew whom had read the book loved it.
So i bought it...

I'm not sure if I should have trusted him or not.
I approach the book cautiously...
[/b]

That's a childrens' book.

Put it down, turn around and step away.

A lot of people seem to love that series of books - I tried to read Northern Lights years ago and found it really wasn't worth the effort. I was bored after the first chapter.

Mabye it's just me, but having recently Wuthering Heights I can pretty much guarantee you won't gain anywhere near the level of satisfaction ploughing through Mr Pullman's work.

Yeha, i know.
I got told (After buying it) that it was a kids book, but ok to read for adults - sort of like the Harry Potter series.
I exclaimed that i couldn't sit through 20 minutes of the film of Harry Potter, let alone attempt a book.
So i'm being patient and giving it a go.
It's all very much "Alrite guvna?" with many of the characters.
I'd do feel like i've climbed down the ladder of literature a little too far on this occasion.

Alas, i shall brave the book...unless i get really bored.
Then i'll do what i do with all **** books.
Give it to charity!

Latest posts