• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

As much as I love my calssic literature, I am honestly a child enough to find humour in those words.
Also, when Dickens uses the word "wench" - Brilliant!

But as soon as i get into the humour then i "grow up"...so to speak.

A Rugby Book featured in Rugby World -April

A Game for Hooligans - Huw Richards, its a very good read

As much as I love my calssic literature, I am honestly a child enough to find humour in those words.
Also, when Dickens uses the word "wench" - Brilliant!

But as soon as i get into the humour then i "grow up"...so to speak.
[/b]

I used to quite enjoy Shakespeare's use of "strumpet". We kept trying to introduce it back into common use by using it as an insult around school. Never really caught on for some reason, as only our English class had any idea what was going on.

Was that an all boys school?
[/b]

Until you get to 6th form, the first 3 years are. I think it was mainly the guys that were more amused.

To be fair some seemed to be constantly stoned, so they'd laugh at anything.

I used to quite enjoy Shakespeare's use of "strumpet". We kept trying to introduce it back into common use by using it as an insult around school. Never really caught on for some reason, as only our English class had any idea what was going on.
[/b]

Oh, the humour of the elitists as we all scoff at the working class scum who, not only have they never come across a shakespearian book, but neither could they adhere to complex characterisations wtih which he chastises himself in the forefront of his liiterature.
But don't mind me, whilst i'm typing all of these meaningless words i'm actually speaking them aloud in a very posh english accent.

But seriously tho, i always enjoy taking the moral high ground when i find out that someone chooses not to read as their past time. "Why, dear boy! Your mind must simply be melting away as you sit infront of that idiot box. Here pick up one of these things, it's called a book. Understand and relish the prose of the author, contemplate why they protagonist always seems himself as infere and indulge in the vivid descriptions of the "sex scene" and involve yourself in some sort of literary threesome! Mwah!"

Ok, so is it really wrong of me to be thinking that Moby-Dick is really boring?
I mean, you sometimes hear of "great books". Books that go down in history as some of the best and you are therefore obliged to read it, give it your 100% attention and come out loving it.
Well, i'm certainly not leaning that way towrads Moby-Dick. I do, however, love the way the author writes. It's actually a very modern view of things and the man is very witty, but he doesn't half enjoy going on a tangent!
He could easily drive along the M4 from Pont Abraham to London in a few hours, but you'd get the feeling that he'd much rather hop off at junction 30 and take a detour around Ponty first, before getting back on track.

*20 points for such a good analogy? Anyone?*

dunno if thats a good analagy or not, dont care.

i just finished the last of the bourne series (legacy) and loved that. Now i am looking for another book. Dont know what kind i would like to read though, being a spy/crime novel or something a little less gritty.

i like robert ludlum, might look for the sequal to the matrise circle, that was a good book. either that or ill look for something totally different, maybe in the fantasy genre or something.

Ok, so is it really wrong of me to be thinking that Moby-Dick is really boring?[/b]
Nah, everyone thinks that. Same with Don Quixote.

But it is one of the greatest stories, like DQ. And it starts with Call me Ishmael. And the chapel sermon is magnificent.

Store it up for the future - you can use it to inspire great thoughts and put yourself to sleep while your wife is snoring in bed beside you.

I once started a Matthew Reilly book (novel?) and put it down with a stunned look on my face. Haven't picked it up since. Isn't he the Australian guy who couldn't get published and went and self-published, like Grisham did in the beginning? I was told that screenwriters for computer games like his style, but ... uuuuh wow, like how crap! And he's sold millions.
[/b]

Thank You - Just Noticed that Post - Shows why Australians shouldn't be taught to write.

Just read Catcher in the Rye for the first time, bought it at a book stall when I was 15 but for whatever reason never started reading it until 2 and a half years later.

And anyone ever read any David Eddings? Not really into that Fantasy Mumbo Jumbo but he writes a good tale.

I read Catcher in the Rye years ago - didn't get it and can't remember what it's about. But college women used to be into it. And they liked to "discuss" it with ghastly sincerity.

When a woman gives you a book to read, don't throw it away out of boredom. Skim it like a Stephen King novel - get the characters, the set ups, read the last page - and then let her explain how much it really means. Remember - the book you hold in your hands, she once held to her breasts with a passion. Some day, that could be your face.

Remember - the book you hold in your hands, she once held to her breasts with a passion. Some day, that could be your face.
[/b]

:lol:

Brilliant.
The man keeps on giving out superb advice.

I read Catcher in the Rye years ago - didn't get it and can't remember what it's about. But college women used to be into it. And they liked to "discuss" it with ghastly sincerity.[/b]

Simple : They relate to it 'cause it's about someone who moans, bleats & whinges about everything.

It bored me sh*tless.

On the Road by Kerouac on the other hand is fantastic (although when you read up about it you find it a bit less noble then you'd originally suspected).

To Kill a Mockingbird is brilliant too. Love that book.

<div class='quotemain'>
I read Catcher in the Rye years ago - didn't get it and can't remember what it's about. But college women used to be into it. And they liked to "discuss" it with ghastly sincerity.[/b]

Simple : They relate to it 'cause it's about someone who moans, bleats & whinges about everything.

It bored me sh*tless.

On the Road by Kerouac on the other hand is fantastic (although when you read up about it you find it a bit less noble then you'd originally suspected).

To Kill a Mockingbird is brilliant too. Love that book.
[/b][/quote]
Preety much my thoughts on Catcher in the Rue with the "Bored me Shitless" comment, although I extend that to Mockingbird, the only good thing about Mockingbird is that it is chock fill of quotes and themes so I was easily able to use it on 3 of my external papers last year.

41X5J0GXA1L._AA240_.jpg

Spike Milligan.
I am in love with everything he writes.

41X5J0GXA1L._AA240_.jpg

Spike Milligan.
I am in love with everything he writes. [/b]

I carried this book!!!

It wasn't the heaviest of books, I have carried, it was of a nice weight, to carry...

Also a very good texture to the cover and the pages.. it also makes you look rather inteligent...

I seriously need to get back into reading...

His wartime books are always good - I bought all of them for 10 bucks at a School Fete... always good cheap books to be had at School fairs.

172109m.jpg

From the Corner of His Eye by Dean Koonz. Only half way through 500 pages. Good people have to face the consequences of a rape when the rapist decides he must murder the baby he conceived and gets confused over the identity of his prey.

Sort of cosmic psycho comedy horror, if you know what I mean - fate v coincidence. It's a bit scrambled for the first 100 pages, but the writing is great when the story settles down. Shocking, non-gory murder in the first ten pages, followed by a series of strange abuses and killings. And the observations are funny.

The goodies are quirky and fairly interesting - no iron-jawed heroes - but the rapist almost matches Bateman in American Psycho: smart, driven and delusional.

Much better than the sniffy tosh that's usually recommended to me.

I'm currently reading Sean Fitpatricks book, because Sean Fitzpatrick is better than you all.

Just finished Schindlers Ark, liked the Movie better, which is rare since it's usually the other way round with me.

The Embarrassing Australian, the story of an Aboriginal Warrior.
By Harry Gordon

Based on the life story of Reg Saunders, aborginal, fighter, leader, officer and Hero.
Respected by his men that he commanded during World War 2, only to have to suffer as an Aboriginal third class citizen in Australia after the war. Commisioned as an Officer in 1944 he had serverd in Africa, Greece, Crete, PNG and to finally serve 2 tours in the Korean War.
Great reading, great indervidual and more importantly a great read to understand why Australia is one of the most ignorant in racial reconciliation in the modern world.

Latest posts