• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

Just finished reading a book on RMAN backup and restores for Oracle 9i databases, now have to read a book on Oracle 10g Portal...

But thats reference stuff, fictional I am currently not reading anything...

I HATE RMAN backup :) where are the freaking logs for it? the dbas here are useless, glad i am not one :)

currently i am reading some microsoft certification windows 2003 server books and superman comics lol

I just finished reading both Dexter books by Jeff Lindsay. They're about a serial killer who kills serial killers. Quite funny, dark humour. Bit gruesome at bits but overall pretty good. They turned the first book into a TV series as well, which BTW is better than the books so it's well done.

Read short story by Salman Rushdie, Half of a play by Samuel Becket, a poem by Ginsberg, part of Beowulf by no one knows who, part of Sir Gawain and the Green knight by the same as Beowulf, A few Sonnets by Shakespeare, and the introduction to the "Sixteenth century' chapter in my anthology.

Also read summaries on stories by Melville, Aphra Behn, and Henry James.

In german I about twenty pages of plays/ballads and poems.

Wooptidoo

*Edit* Fcukernaut, you mis-spelled 'stripper' in your sig, don't know if it's intentionally, but still.

Half of a play by Samuel Becket[/b]

Which one?

Endgame is fantastic IMO. And I've heard Waiting for Godot is as well. I'm not really familiar with the rest of his work though.

It was Endgame.
It's okay, but it just bothers me that nothing happens. I mean, that's of course what's so great about it, the fact that nothing happens but they want to make something happen, but still. And I would have preffered reading it in french, considering Becket himself preferred to write in french, it helps that he translated it himself though.
I generally don't like reading plays, prefer seeing them on stage.

Not amusing when you've been trying to figure out why knowing the history of English monarchy is essential for a literature class. I'll tackle US tomorrow, although I think Ginsberg was in my American Anthology.

Currently reading "Rugby's great split"

Recently read Brave New World, American Psycho, Crucifix-R. Montanari, 1984 (again)

Hello, hello, longtime lurker invading your community! I promise I'll get stuck in though :p

I've just finished my degree in English and History, so I've been revising from such delights as Architecture in Britain 1530 - 1830 by John Summerson and the complete works of William Shakespeare!

Fiction-wise I've been reading The Quantity Theory of Insanity by Will Self, a collection of short stories around the theme of mental health, which I would recommend to anyone. Upon first read it seems like a bizarre, disjointed mess, but it's only by finishing the book and reading it again that you realise how cleverly it is in fact written; it perfectly reflects the mental state of each of the narrators and some of the links between such seemingly disparate subjects as a South American tribe consisting of the most boring people on earth and a hospital ward where one cannot tell the lunatics from the doctors is quite remarkable.

Sorry if this sounds like faux-intellectual drivel, but it really is a good book!

Will I get lynched if I mention Harry Potter? I cannot flipping well wait and I remain absolutely convinced that Snape is a good-guy really!

<div class='quotemain'>
Half of a play by Samuel Becket[/b]

Which one?

Endgame is fantastic IMO. And I've heard Waiting for Godot is as well. I'm not really familiar with the rest of his work though.
[/b][/quote]
Becket is brilliant to read. His best stuff is the Dramticules - Nacht und Trauma is my favourite.

He was a whiskey drinker, and a rugby fan. Can't say better than that.

Had an exam on 'The Introduction to the Study of Literature in English' Reason for that big name for a class, they abbreviate it to 'ISLE', with Literature in English being one of many other 'isles'.

The course used to be called History of English Literature AKA HEL :p

Didn't hava single becket question on the exam, but considering we had to learn starting from Beowulf all the way to Salman Rushdie, one can not be surprised not everyone is mentioned.

Wish I'd read the Wasteland though :(

I read the Harry Potters, I reserved a copy of the seventh in the book shop already. 21st is a national holiday here though, so I'll have to wait until the 23d, or the satuday after that. Do NOT LIKE.

Also Stegger, are you insinuating Shakespeare isn't fiction? (did have some shakespeare on exam, good thing I didn't read all of Henry IV, since we only had a question about a sonnet)

Submerging in German Literature now.

435364.jpg

"We Believe...": A Survey of the Catholic Faith

I am reading 'A Riqueza das Nações'.

i.e 'The Wealth of Nations' by Adam Smith

Was wondering, has anyone read any Steinbeck? And if yes, do you recomend it?
Only ever read of mice and men, was on my lit list for a class I have, but I sort of like his style, was considering reading some other works by him during the summer.

The 1st Book of Maccabes, because they didn't include it in our Evangelical Bibles...good reading, actually. Lot's of sword swinging and circumsisions!

Gonna have to start reading some Microsoft Certification Books to boost my knowledge for my new job

Going back to the Northern Lights thing, I see they're making it into a film. Saw the trailer yesterday. They've totally Americanised it; it's now called The Golden Compass and they've taken all the stuff about religion out of it! And that was the whole point of the book.....

Am interested to see that Daniel Craig is playing Asriel and Nicole Kidman is Mrs Coulter. Not what I would have imagined at all.

I can defiantely see Nicole Kidman playing Mrs. Coulter.

Just started reading Life Of Pi. I've been meaning to get around to this book for years, so i found it in a 2nd hand shop the other day for £3, had to snap it up.

Odd, just yesterday was I reading the wiki article about Life of Pi. (got there via Booker Prize articvle, got there via Coetzee)Made me decide I should read it some day, it's on my post it list.

Might be a strange question, but does the name Enid Blyton ring a bell with anyone?

Latest posts