• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

Ripper, are you sure it's Schindler's 'Ark?' Could be two Schindlers out there who had both a book and a film made based on their character, but since it seems more likely to be translated differently I thought I'd ask.

Of all the books I had to read this last year I recommend Golding's Lord of the Flies, and Haas's 'Komm Süßer Tod' Although I don't know the ***le of that last in English, if it was ever even published in English.

Poem-wise I enjoyed the Raven most, but it's of course a classic.

I didn't dislike reading any books on my reading list, although I felt Hemingway was slightly boring (somehow I don't see what is so interesting in an old man talking to a fish all day long, or an old man dissing his wife while dying, maybe you have to be an old man to get it)
It was also a damn shame they made us read one of the Henry's by Shakespeare, don't find it one of his best, although I have to admit that I have still to read most of his work.

Ripper, are you sure it's Schindler's 'Ark?'

Hemingway was slightly boring (somehow I don't see what is so interesting in an old man talking to a fish all day long ...)
[/b]
Yeah, it is - the film changed it to 'List', but 'Ark' is better. Didn't think much of the film - sentimental tosh, although Raph Fiennes was great as the commandant. The book is good, but I had to use a dictionary to get through it because of all the recondite terminology.

Never read the Old Man and the Sea, but the film with Spencer Tracey is great. Fish make poor companions.

I saw film and read book on Shindler, although the book was in dutch and you never know how well they translated it.

Didn't even realize there was a film on OMS.

A thought just came to my mind, a book (or better a series of books) I can absolutely recommend (and don't anyone dare make fun of me :p) is Harry Potter. I sadly know a lot of people who refuse to read the books because it is Harry Potter, but I greatly enjoy them. Then again, I enjoyed reading alice's adventures and through the looking glass and other old school children's books.

It was also a damn shame they made us read one of the Henry's by Shakespeare, don't find it one of his best, although I have to admit that I have still to read most of his work.
[/b]

I did Henry V this year and really enjoyed it. Has some wonderfully stirring speeches in it. Watch Kenneth Branagh's film adaption and you really get the full impact of them.

"We few, we happy few, we band of brothers -
For he today that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother"

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more,
Or close the wall up with our English dead!"

Got to love them. Some of the best lines ever penned in my opinion.

f***ing Shakespeare, the bane of my academic life.

I want to be all elitist, you know, "I read novels, i'm so much better than you common folk. Alas, not only do I read novels...i read Shakespeare as well."
...but i just can't be like that.

I really dislike Shakespeare. Period.

I used to be like that. But then I matured. ;)

Seriously though, I have actually found plays which I enjoy, and some lines which are almost spine-tingling.

The Bard deserves his place at literature's top table for me.

[/b]
I saw Much Ado About Nothing in London last year, and it was truly difficult to enjoy - what Joey in Friends calls, "some gentle comedy, dude". After half an hour I figured out the language - English, BTW - but then some snorting Ha-Ha-I-get-it-you-don't twat behind us kept laughing out loud at the 'right' moments.

Get the graphic-novel versions of the big plays - I forget the guy who did them - they're the best way to read Shagasphere.

Favourite quote: "Hell and black night shall bring this monstrous birth to the world's light" - Iago in Othello. He was predicting the failure of the ABs in France 07. Pure genius.

Shakespeare's comedies are mostly dire. His tragedies are often sublime though.

Get the graphic-novel versions of the big plays - I forget the guy who did them - they're the best way to read Shagasphere.
[/b]

Yeah, cheers mate, i'll definately have to look out for those.

<div class='quotemain'>
I used to be like that. But then I matured. ;)
[/b]
[/b][/quote]

Go suck a f***! :D

Anyway, gonna start another Tom Holt novel on my way to work tomorrow:

Snow White and the Seven Samurai
425123m.jpg

Looking forward...

Never heard of it :(

Read some novel whilst supposedly studying German, don't remember the ***le as it was a ChicLit book, and I rarely remember ***les. It had all the elements in it, so it was okay. I'll forget it in about a month, and then I'll read it again, enjoying the book.

I don't think they stage Shakespeare a lot where I live. Not that I'd know ^o)

Or they do, but in very strange versions (always translated btw), usually a modern one.

I might read Disgrace one of these day, was supposed to read it for one of my classes, couldn't be bothered :s Don't have time, and I read the synopsis somehere. Everyone gets raped in a way.

Never heard of Tom Holt, although the name and font look familiar.

Tom Holt, born in london, 1961.
In my opinion one of Britains best writers and most surreal with his strange humour.
The man possess a quality of which i can give to very few authors: he can make me laugh out loud.

He's something special.
Read, 'The Portable Door'

Brilliantly weird, imaginative and funny.

I'll put it on my to read list, which atm consists of old post it's around my desk.

I'll let you know what I thought of it as soon as I read it, possibly some times this summer, that is if I can get my hands on a copy.

If your 'to read' list is anything like mine, then you've got a stupid amount of books that need seeing to:

Love in the Time of Cholera is next on my list.

Marquez, right?

I think we have that lying around somewhere around teh house, but in dutch.

I preffer reading things in their original language, if I undersdtand that language that is. Not sure my spanish would be good enough though :(

My to read list has started falling apart, they don't make post it's like they used to :s

And to my not so great shame, the seventh HP is on top of the list, I've ordered it to. the irony that the 21st of July is a holiday here, so I'll have to wait til monday, if I manage to find a job which i do hope, till the saturday after.

And as soon as I read that, I'm going to indulge in some Jane Austen.

Read great Gatsby in Dutch. I get what you're saying, that it was 'OK'

Yeah, Marquez.
I want to read the book, but i wouldn't stand a chance reading it in it's original language. :)

Now Austen! There's a writer.
One of the greatest author's in the world. "Indulge" is exactly the word.

DC, gatsby barely made it to ok for me.
It was such a let down...but maybe i'm a totally uncultured swine.

Or maybe you expected too much of it?

I sometimes get that, that's why i resented the old man and the sea so much, my hopes were too high.

Sadly, only ever read two Austen books, although I own almost her entire eovre. Not that she wrote that much still. In my defence, I must have read pride and prejudice at least ten times. My copy is getting a bit tattered :D Damn those penguin classics.

i quite enjoyed the northern lights trilogy, the first book is probably the worst of the lot though. the last one is undoubtedly the best, but it gets a bit 'loved up' at points which spoiled it a bit for me.
[/b]

I read them all a few years ago and reall liked them, The Subtle Knife was my favourite I think.
It's funny how lots of people are whinging about them; they were written for kids; I'm sure lots of kids would complain if they tried to read books way too grown up for them.

<div class='quotemain'>
i quite enjoyed the northern lights trilogy, the first book is probably the worst of the lot though. the last one is undoubtedly the best, but it gets a bit 'loved up' at points which spoiled it a bit for me.
[/b]

I read them all a few years ago and reall liked them, The Subtle Knife was my favourite I think.
It's funny how lots of people are whinging about them; they were written for kids; I'm sure lots of kids would complain if they tried to read books way too grown up for them.
[/b][/quote]

Kids don't deserve to be subjected to crap anymore than adults do.

Can't remember exactly when they were published, but I can only have been 13 or 14 when I tried reading them. Hated it then, no chance I'd ever change my mind.

<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

Kids don't deserve to be subjected to crap anymore than adults do.

Can't remember exactly when they were published, but I can only have been 13 or 14 when I tried reading them. Hated it then, no chance I'd ever change my mind.
[/b][/quote]

Thank your lucky stars you didn't persevere through to the final book.

*shudder~*

Latest posts