• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What book are you currently reading?

Rant - Chuck Palahniuk

this book is crazy [/b]

Have you read Palhniuk's story about the guy getting his guts sucked out his ass through a swimming-pool drainage vent? Veeery gross - and they promoted it with an urban legend, that whenever the author read the story at book-signings part of the audience used to faint.

But then I will move onto 'The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire' by Edward Gibbon', I've heard good things. [/b]

The whole thing? G'luck. I read an abridged version, which was still about 2,000 small type pages.

He had a love of the long sentence, but there are great phrases and images, and the chapters are short.

The best bit deals with the fall in the west, 390-470 AD. And there's a notorious chapter on christianity, which he dismisses as decadent, lily-livered, and just pants. Beats Richard Dawkins anyday.

I'm probably the only one here, but I wish I was reading the last HP book! :( Sadly, the bookstore where I ordered it (a few months ago) has received about copies fo the regular print, and none of the adult edition. And I don't want the yuckie kids version!
I'll start reading it the minute I get my hands on it.

There's huge hype and i've nearly fallen victim to the hype, but i've never read a book or watched a harry potter film so i can't start now with the last one - and i can't be arsed to start the 1st one.

What's the difference between the kids and the adults versions?
I thought there was just a different front cover?

Harry Potter is fo douches, I am currently reading 'My Tank is Fight!' how else am I going to find out about imaginary Nazi inventions?

the only difference with the kids and the adults version is the cover (so someone at the bookstore told me as i was curious myself)

i am currently reading the bourne betryal, the latest in the series.

Also during the evening i am reading dark tower - the gunslinger. Yes i have started the series again and the second time through so far i am really enjoying it more than the first time. just about finished the first book, then only 6 more to do :)

<div class='quotemain'> Rant - Chuck Palahniuk

this book is crazy [/b]

Have you read Palhniuk's story about the guy getting his guts sucked out his ass through a swimming-pool drainage vent? Veeery gross - and they promoted it with an urban legend, that whenever the author read the story at book-signings part of the audience used to faint.
[/b][/quote]
Ya isn't that from the book "Haunted"? I heard its pretty awesome book actually...my favorite by him is "Lullaby" cool ass book would make a great movie

Strange, i thought Lullaby was one of his poorest attempts.
I was a huge fan of Choke, Fight Club and Survivor.
3 awesome books.

DOn't think Girls can be douches, just wimps.

Ans yes, only difference is the cover, but I dislike having different versions of a set, and I have two adult versions, need to buy the rest some other time. Want to know how it ends, but don't want to buy an odd book for it.

I'm currently a book called 'Stupid White Men' by Michael Moore. I haven' been reading it in the last few days because its lost in the pile of mess in my room.

the only difference with the kids and the adults version is the cover (so someone at the bookstore told me as i was curious myself)
[/b]
There is a child version and a adult version? Hahahaha, talk about a money making scheme...stupid...

Strange, i thought Lullaby was one of his poorest attempts.
I was a huge fan of Choke, Fight Club and Survivor.
3 awesome books.
[/b]
I dont know something about Lullaby was just really good...finished the book in a day...Survivor was amazing, Brad Pitt was actually supposed to make that movie, but never happened, choke was good...actually **** what am i saying i guess i really liked all his books so far...lol

Currently going through my Nick Hornby collection. Can't be bothered with heavy duty reading at the moment, I save that for Uni.

Just finished A Long Way Down, which for a book about suicide is very funny, and started How To Be Good. After that I've still got to go through About A Boy, Fever Pitch and High Fidelity, so I', set up nicely.

I enjoyed Fever Pitch, became a huge Nick Hornby fan after one of my favourite books ever, High Fidelity, really liked About A Boy and then became disillusioned after reading How To Be Good - i expected more from it. Then i was lifted a little, but not a lot, by A Long Way Down - It just didn't feel like Hornby was hitting his one time greatness.
I'm quite unenthused about any prospect of reading a new book by him at the moment.

I'm really enjoying How To Be Good, simply because it makes me want to hit several of the characters. Any book that manages to get that reaction from me has hit its mark in my mind.

I enjoyed Fever Pitch, became a huge Nick Hornby fan after one of my favourite books ever, High Fidelity, really liked About A Boy and then became disillusioned after reading How To Be Good - i expected more from it. Then i was lifted a little, but not a lot, by A Long Way Down - It just didn't feel like Hornby was hitting his one time greatness.
I'm quite unenthused about any prospect of reading a new book by him at the moment.
[/b]
I agree i read High Fidelity and About a Boy and expected a lot from How to be Good but was very disappointed, after that book I stopped reading Hornby...didn't want to be let down again

The only reason i wanted to hit the characters was because i found them so unrealistic.
High Fidelity could pride itself on the fact that these characters exist in some form or another in so many people's lives. So many could relate to them and they were simply genius. So well written in fact that i believe they do actually exist in Nick Hornby's life.
In his more recent books it looks like he's going for eccentric characters that he's just made up to try and add interest to the story and the only thing it brings out in me is that feeling of disbelief in anything at all.

But that's simply my opinion. Maybe i'm just bitter that none of his books stayed similar in the style of High Fidelity...and you just can't ask an author to do that.
It's career suicide, i guess.

Latest posts