• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

How come? BBC's drama department is on fire recently,
Peaky Blinders, Last Kingdom etc.
and they've worked with HBO in the past on (the excellent) Rome

Just that His Dark Materials will require a fair old budget and other BBC fantasy shows have always struggled due to the money required for the required production values.

Big fan of a lot of HBO's output... The Wire, Deadwood, The Soprano's, Big Little Lies, GOT, Westworld, The Leftovers etc. but have struggled to get into the beeb's output. Thought a Bodyguard was overrated, have tried to get into Peaky Blinders a couple of times but the first ep has left me bored on both occasions and I started something else rather than put ep 2 on. Same thing with Last Kingdom (though the missus and I only tried ep 1 of that the once). Having said this though I do keep hearing that I need to give both shows another go... as well as the police show that I can't recall the name of but all of my colleagues won't shut up about. I did thoroughly enjoy Night Manager and Secret State though, they are probably the best BBC productions that I've seen to this point.

I've heard good things about Rome but am worried that as it came out a while back (when TV shows were not at today's level) that it won't do it for me. I tried Oz a couple of years back and regardless of the plaudits it received it had just aged too much for my time when there are so many other shows vying for my attention.

Last edited:
I've heard good things about Rome but am worried that as it came out a while back (when TV shows were not at today's level) that it won't do it for me. I tried Oz a couple of years back and regardless of the plaudits it received it had just aged too much for my time when there are so many other shows vying for my attention.
I only watched Rome for the first time a year or so ago, and I think it's held up well with the exception of battles (and I can only really remember one of those, right at the start, which was very clearly filmed on a small set). Fantastic series with a stellar cast.

I only watched Rome for the first time a year or so ago, and I think it's held up well with the exception of battles (and I can only really remember one of those, right at the start, which was very clearly filmed on a small set). Fantastic series with a stellar cast.

Maybe I'll give it a go then, though I already know the missus will take some convincing.

Good Omens was ok... looked a little cheap here and there but captured the sense of humour relatively well.

the biggest worry about BBC stuff is how short the series can be.

That's for sure. My favorite British series come and go in just a couple of months worth of episodes. And then I have to wait a very long 10 months to see new ones.

Started watching Ozark over the weekend, finished season 1 and is halfway through season 2. Really enjoyable series, and reminds me a lot of Breaking Bad. Even the music...

That's for sure. My favorite British series come and go in just a couple of months worth of episodes. And then I have to wait a very long 10 months to see new ones.
Which is generally a strength as it keeps the quality up and the filler down.
Bigger issue (for me) is the limitation in the BBC's "new content" remit.
They'll start a show, give it a second season, by which time time it's no longer new content, and they have to either cancel it or hand it on to someone else (unless it's an old property like Dr Who).
It a good thing in that it gets stuff made that wouldn't be otherwise; but I don't like it when promising shows get cancelled before their time - fortunately, collaborations with the likes of Netflix, HBO* and Amazon can minimise that (though I don't think HBO have forgiven the BBC for having those rules when they made Rome together)

I'm like two years late to the party but binged all of Stranger Things 2 today and bloody loved it

Can't wait for season 3 next month

I'm like two years late to the party but binged all of Stranger Things 2 today and bloody loved it

Great show and what?! I didnt know it was next month....Stranger Things 3 FTW :)

Me and the missus are gonna binge one and two (again... we watched them when first released too) just before season 3 hits. Such a good show... and if you haven't seen IT Chapter 1 yet, it's great and 'feels' VERY similar.

Latest posts