• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

I've really enjoyed it so far first episode was a bit of a blur but once given room to breathe its been absolutely fine, I've enjoyed it immensely make me want to read and finish the books I haven't touched for 16-18 years (I can't remember where I stopped). I'd rather see more weaving of the magic and colour coding the different elements as implied by the opening credits. But equally by having one colour its given a slightly better visual reputation to Saidin and the madness. Its also did a pretty excellent job of short handing Nynaeve's relative power to everyone else.

And although exposition heavy 'the lore' and the philosophy is huge part of the plot if you take it out you don't get wheel of time.

Wife like a lot of these things has complete opposite issue where I'm half-remembering books I've read long ago she's completely new. She was completely taken from episode 1 and loves the show. Talking of a couple of friends this weekend they've really enjoyed it as well. So its definitely finding an audience in its "was probably going to watch it anyway group", the real question is will it find one out if like Game of Thrones did.

Yes I'm onboard for WoT mostly now. I still believe episode 1 was a disastrous start, but every episode has got way better.

High points for me:
  • The Darkfriend from episode 3 was excellent. Nice little twist and I enjoyed that she wasn't cartoonishly evil and she had a justification for why she is a Darkfriend.
  • The creepy ass scene with the Shade in EP 4. The "I see you" creeped me TF out.
  • The Logain intro to episode 4 was strong.
  • Characters getting personality and motivations early.
  • Rand and Mat scenes have generally been very strong in particular.
  • Aes Sedai are humanized a bit far earlier on, which is nice.
  • The female characters aren't being catty and thinking about the neckline of their dresses all the time.
Areas for improvement:
  • Despite working in a weird plotline where he kills his wife, Perrin still feels the weakest of the main characters.
  • They need to do a better job of explaining what the dragon is, why it's important, who Lews Therin was, the concept of the Dark one etc. I'm sure they'll get to it but we are 4 episodes into an 8 episode season.
  • I think the weaving looks goofy as hell. Obviously it's not an easy one to pull off, but still.
  • I now know if they introduce a non book character that person is getting murdered.

Watched all three seasons of "You" over the last couple of weeks - really really enjoyed it
Season one is definitely the best one, but season three is up there too (just with a different kind of feel to it). Really looking forward to season 4
Currently watching, season 1. I adore Joe, what an interesting and sad character

The Sinner Season 4.
Just binge watched all 8 episodes.
Starring the excellent Bill Pullman a retired detective trying to solve the mystery of a missing girl.
Unfortunately, its the last series as its not being renewed by the US TV networks.

Been watching wheel of time on prime. It's decent but don't get the hype.

Has anyone been watching the most recent season of Dr Who?

Last episode tonight, and can say the whole season was some of the worst writing I have ever encountered in a TV show

Been watching wheel of time on prime. It's decent but don't get the hype.
TBF - has there been much hype since it actually started?

There was a lot of hype beforehand, because it's Amazon, and they're spending a huge amount of money, publicly looking for "Our Game of Thrones" (which this was never, ever going to be), and being based on a titan of the genre - a dated and bloated titan that's ripe for significant improvement with judicious editting.

What we've ended up with is a lot of promise, that's being let down, partly by executies getting involved (eg, that first episode was storyboarded and filmed as 2 episodes, but had to be reduced to 1 episode in the editting suite), an inexperienced writing team and inexperienced actors.

There's a LOT of unhappiness amongst fans of the books - even those who actively wanted changes to the source material, but are getting different changes. TBH, that was always going to happen.
There's also a lot of unhappy anti-woke warriors.
Beyond that, it seems to be perfectly decent TV, if you can ignore the problems (especially with the first episode). Decent, but no more than that (yet - TBH, the first book was no more than "decent" as well).

Yeah it's weird one from memory the books definitely get alot better before becoming too bloated for their own good. It's books 3-5 where it was at its best (possibly book 6 I can't remember all the plot points that was covered). I much proffered The Great Hunt as well but Eye of the World was was just an alright fantasy book which had a lot of promise.

The only significant part of the changes I can remember is cutting out Camelyn which makes sense. As it only serves to introduce more characters that can be added later on.

What is weird is whilst I liked the last episode its mainly served as setting up the ground work for event that will transpire in season 5 (assuming 1 season per book).

I'm liking it.
I do wish some things had a bit more money into it production wise.

But as first seasons goes it's very good

Yeah it's weird one from memory the books definitely get alot better before becoming too bloated for their own good. It's books 3-5 where it was at its best (possibly book 6 I can't remember all the plot points that was covered). I much proffered The Great Hunt as well but Eye of the World was was just an alright fantasy book which had a lot of promise.

The only significant part of the changes I can remember is cutting out Camelyn which makes sense. As it only serves to introduce more characters that can be added later on.

What is weird is whilst I liked the last episode its mainly served as setting up the ground work for event that will transpire in season 5 (assuming 1 season per book).
Agreed.
I'm not sure we should talk about the books too much here; but essentially; Jordan's first attempt at tEotW was rejected as being too far from Tolkein, because publishers of fantasy only really wanted Tolkein knock-offs; so he went back to the drawing board and made it one long travellogue where the wizard found the saviour in a garden of eaden, and got separated at Moria. Oh, and an inanimate object of parasitic evil...
From memory it was books 4-6ish that were brilliant, with 1 being largely forgettable; with 7-10ish being massively bloated because more books = more money.

I think the general assumption is that season 1 = book 1 (more or less) to introduce the protagonists.
Season 2 = books 2 & 3 (which from memory, did a lot of the same things, just in different locations)
Then hoping for more episodes per season, and going at 2 books per season until they hit the bloat, where thay could easily fit 3, potentially even 4 books into 1 season.

They pay-off for the last episode should be season 3, possibly the very end of S02.
We also have to accept that a lot of the changes we're seeing from the books will have their pay-offs way later, in ways we can't necessarily see just yet. eg fridge-wife (though I think we're starting to see some of that already)

I'm liking it.
I do wish some things had a bit more money into it production wise.
I THINK I'm more that I wish they spent it better - better actors, better writers, better prosthetics - less CGI backgrounds and less intricate CGI magic (I don't think thay've even made it plain that non-channelers can't see the weaves, and that the untrained can barely make them out - which would have given them the perfect opportunity to save money)

ETA: I know we had a separate thread for GoT - largely to avoid cluttering this thread, and presumably to keep book spoilers away from non-readers.
Is WoT worth the same or not?

Last edited:
I've created a separate spoilers thread, were talking about it enough and its pretty hard to talk about some stuff without giving the game away.

Despite being very sceptical about anything the League of Legends (or any video game, given history) label attached, I watched Arcane on Netflix and it's really, really good. I know we have quite a few fantasy fans on this forum and would strongly recommend. (Although in fairness the setting is more renaissance/steampunk than classical fantasy). As someone who knows nothing about League of Legends I'd can't really recommend enough.

Been meaning to check it out, and have heard nothing but good things

Seen it described similarly to the Joker movie, where it's a great story applied to a big franchise to get the funding

7 episodes into Dexter New Blood. It's getting quite good. I read they made it to make up for how badly the last season finished. But wonder how they can continue this once it finishes.

Didn't recognise Clancy Brown since he played the main prison guard in the Shawshank Redemption.

Latest posts