• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

What TV Show's are you watching/looking forward to?

Yeah I agree with everything you say here. I really like it but like a lot of really good shows they tend to get hyped up a bit too much. Ozark is great but it's no Sopranos.

Ruth is great but Wendy is brilliant. I mean, she's a **** but a brilliant one.

Loved the love affair the whole show had with Hip Hop as wel. Right up my alley with the old school tracks. One episode had Ilmatic by Nas on repeat
Wendy is a brilliant love-to-hate character, she's what people act like Skylar was in Breaking Bad

The killer Mike cameo really came out of nowhere!

Finally finished Stranger Things i really enjoyed it and cant wait for the final parts in July!

Wendy is a brilliant love-to-hate character, she's what people act like Skylar was in Breaking Bad

The killer Mike cameo really came out of nowhere!
Yeah, I'm not sure how much value that killer Mike scene added really. I think the peeps who did it just love hip hop so much that they must've found out Killer Mike liked the show or something and wrote him a small role. A bit of a random one but was still cool though.

Ha ha. Do you know what, now that I've finished Ozark I would find it hard to separate them. Both good shows but both overrated (though I've not seen Ozark being upheld as the GOAT like I have with multiple people saying that about BB)

If TV shows had a WC final it would be The Wire v The Sopranos. That's not even up for debate. BB v Ozark would make a good final 16/quarter final or something though.

I need to give the Sopranos another go,
I didn't watch it at the time and when I tried to give it a go a few years ago found it pretty poor tbh - felt very dated/it had aged poorly
Though it did take me a few episodes to get into The Wire so maybe just takes some perseverance

Could be a bit like Seinfeld though, where if you didn't watch it at the time it feels dates/generic because everything after was so influenced it feels like it's the same old tropes when in reality they started most of them

Breaking Bad definitely the best show I've ever watched, The Wire close but definitely 2nd

I didn't watch it at the time and when I tried to give it a go a few years ago found it pretty poor tbh - felt very dated/it had aged poorly
Though it did take me a few episodes to get into The Wire so maybe just takes some perseverance

Could be a bit like Seinfeld though, where if you didn't watch it at the time it feels dates/generic because everything after was so influenced it feels like it's the same old tropes when in reality they started most of them

Breaking Bad definitely the best show I've ever watched, The Wire close but definitely 2nd
Definitely persist with it. I don't think you'll regret it. You may not rate it as high as me at the end of it but I can't see anyone hating it. If you're not into it by season 2/3 then it's probably not your thing and there is no hope for you.

If TV shows had a WC final it would be The Wire v The Sopranos. That's not even up for debate. BB v Ozark would make a good final 16/quarter final or something though.
That's funny because had a conversation with a mate and we were debating which series would we take if we were stuck on a dessert Island. BB or GOT. He was arguing for GOT. But then this was before GOT's last season. 🤣.

Just think BB as a whole is the most complete - from the filming/location, the little precursors littered throughout and the ultimate story arc of WW. It's a masterpiece of TV IMO. Bryan Cranston is just top notch as WW. Some may argue the ending was rediculous, but I can ultimately buy it and suspend my disbelief in the name of "justice" and for me it was satisfying. I loved it and certainly it's my favourite so far.

Ozark - is another "drugs story/cartel". Perhaps I didn't really buy Marty Bird because I don't really rate Jason Bateman as an actor. Certain events happened in that series and his character's reaction didn't change. I didn't really buy it. But I still liked it and overall though and the ending.

The actors who played Wendy and Ruth were brilliant.

I think I much prefer BB because I have more empathy with WW's character from where he starts off - diagnosed with Cancer, why he makes the meth, turning into a monster , etc and losing sight of why he was doing it all in the first place.

Sopranos is great though - Tony Soprano being unforgettable and even more so after the passing away of James Galdofini.

I must admit I just couldn't get into the Wire. It just didn't really interest me.

That's funny because had a conversation with a mate and we were debating which series would we take if we were stuck on a dessert Island. BB or GOT. He was arguing for GOT. But then this was before GOT's last season. 🤣.

Just think BB as a whole is the most complete - from the filming/location, the little precursors littered throughout and the ultimate story arc of WW. It's a masterpiece of TV IMO. Bryan Cranston is just top notch as WW. Some may argue the ending was rediculous, but I can ultimately buy it and suspend my disbelief in the name of "justice" and for me it was satisfying. I loved it and certainly it's my favourite so far.

Ozark - is another "drugs story/cartel". Perhaps I didn't really buy Marty Bird because I don't really rate Jason Bateman as an actor. Certain events happened in that series and his character's reaction didn't change. I didn't really buy it. But I still liked it and overall though and the ending.

I think I much prefer BB because I have more empathy with WW's character from where he starts off - diagnosed with Cancer, why he makes the meth, turning into a monster , etc and losing sight of why he was doing it all in the first place.

Sopranos is great though - Tony Soprano being unforgettable and even more so after the passing away of James Galdofini.

I must admit I just couldn't get into the Wire. It just didn't really interest me.
GoT still wins for me even with the final seasons dropping off i still enjoyed it all. Loved BB but eventually got bored and never finished.

OZARK/supranos are just not really my thing.

GoT still wins for me even with the final seasons dropping off i still enjoyed it all. Loved BB but eventually got bored and never finished.
Spoken to others who also didn't finish BB. Usually it was after watching s2. Also the Fly episode gets the biggest thumbs down for most. If it was s3 onwards - personally I thought that's where it really took off and I couldn't stop watching and where I could binge watch it the most.

GOT for me I loved it but last season after so much emotional investment really did reduce my rating from a 10/10 to a 8.5/10. It showed me how a tv series ends affects how satisfying the overall show was. Such a massive shame.

I like you Blindside and you said Sopranos is great so I'll go easy on you but The Wire is up there with Shakespeare whereas BB is formulaic and more akin to some Andy Mcnab book but I'll let it slide this time.

Just finished Danny Boyle's Sex Pistols show on Disney+ and really enjoyed it
Never been into the sex pistols so no idea how accurate it is (it's an adaptation of the guitarists autobiography, so a dramatisation of one person's account) but it's well acted/well directed and has a good cast (didn't expect Arya to be in it)

The Staircase starring Colin Firth and Toni Collette is well worth a watch if you like a murder mystery yarn.
Fine acting and script make it an entertaining 8x 1 hr long episodes. On Sky Atlantic, Netflix and "other" sources.

THE OLD MAN (based on the best selling novel by Thomas Perry) is a show about an ex-CIA officer who's living off the grid and finds himself on the run from people who want to kill him. :eek:

1656016934591.png

Last edited:

Have you seen Better Call Saul? It's a prequel to Breaking Bad. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Better_Call_Saul

1656018672796.png

The 30 for 30 docs are really well made, I'd almost guarantee that if you have an interest in any sport, you'll love any 30 for 30 doc on that sport. Unfortunately, they're tough to get hold of in the UK, last time I checked, there wasn't a single streaming service offering them, so you had to rent / buy them.

I think I saw the Pistorius thing on Amazon Prime. IIRC it was very interesting to start with, but a bit strung out and boring at the end.

They don't offer ESPN+ in the UK? Sorry to hear that. I've seen most of the 30 to 30's and enjoyed them all...so far. I haven't seen the Amazon Prime documentary about Pistorius, and after reading your review I think I'll pass on it.

Latest posts